Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stolen cat

Views : 1375

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2021, 18:41   #1
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Default Stolen cat

Hi all,

Just to raise some awareness on here that my cat got nicked over the weekend. The car was parked on a residential street underneath a street light in B'ham! I don't know whether it happened in the day or night. Do the earlier cats have a higher 'expensive metal' content?

Now I have a new cat and a steel guard retorofit (6mm thick) under the cat, with bolts welded on (it's a common protection method for a lot of commercial vehicles nowadays). It should hopefully act as a deterrent, if not make their job very long and loud next time!

Stay alert
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clark For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 18:57   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Hi all,

Just to raise some awareness on here that my cat got nicked over the weekend. The car was parked on a residential street underneath a street light in B'ham! I don't know whether it happened in the day or night. Do the earlier cats have a higher 'expensive metal' content?

Now I have a new cat and a steel guard retorofit (6mm thick) under the cat, with bolts welded on (it's a common protection method for a lot of commercial vehicles nowadays). It should hopefully act as a deterrent, if not make their job very long and loud next time!

Stay alert
Oh, so not good. A right problem over the last few years! I have had to do the same on my Auris Hybrid. Thankfully not nicked yet in over a year of owning the car and living in Staffordshire and visiting family in Kings Heath.

James.

What part of Brum? PM, if not comfortable disclosing location.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 23:17   #3
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Shirley
The Following User Says Thank You to Clark For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 08:39   #4
js90
VOC Member

I wonder if cats can be booby trapped...
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to js90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 13:04   #5
Timmilne

Same thing happened to mine last year, but the garage who fitted the replacement seemed unwilling to fit any kind of protective plate as they said it could trap leaves etc and be a fire risk. So, I just don't drive it to South London

Did you have it fabricated or was it something you bought?
Timmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmilne For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 13:17   #6
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Unfortunately, this is a crime that's exploding exponentially.

To answer your question about older cats, yes, OEM Volvo cats are some of the most valuable on the scrap market thanks to lots of lovely precious metals in them (Palladium, Iridium etc.)

Toyotas also suffer the same.

Good work on fitting a deterrent, I think I'll be heading the same way with mine on my 960, although thankfully, we live in a sleepy cul-de-sac and it's parked up on the drive next to the wall of the house!

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:11   #7
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

It was fabricated just for my car. Even with the plate fixed below the cat there is still a clear passage for airflow so I think the risk of any fire is pretty minimal. I'd agree if it was a cat which was closer to the front of the engine as the exhaust temperature would be higher but that's not the case for the 850 luckily.

The only downside of the extra metal is a slight rattle at certain rpm (idle) but not noticeable to the common ear. The problem will be spreading UK wide soon I reckon, as people find out it's easy money.

The older the car, the more the precious metal inside and the easier the cat to remove.
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 12:19   #8
volvo again
Master Member

I often wonder how they get away with it, jacking the car up and sawing through the pipes must take time and be noisy so unless you've parked in a very quiet area surely someone, owner or neighbour maybe would notice...?
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 12:34   #9
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

To add to the discussion, would it be worth imposing a proof-of-ownership to be able to scrap a cat; i.e. scrappies will only pay out on production of the V5 of the vehicle in question?

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 17:32   #10
Timmilne

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
I often wonder how they get away with it, jacking the car up and sawing through the pipes must take time and be noisy so unless you've parked in a very quiet area surely someone, owner or neighbour maybe would notice...?
Unfortunately, they've got it down to a fine art — they pull up next to the car, sling a trolley jack under the car (not caring about jacking points), cut the pipes with a battery-powered angle grinder, remove the cat, drop the jack and they're away. All in about 30 seconds.

In urban areas, it's just another bit of noise — people only notice if it goes on for ages, so it goes unnoticed.
Timmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmilne For This Useful Post: