Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo s80 d5 engine stalling

Views : 3476

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2011, 15:06   #1
dderek

Default volvo s80 d5 engine stalling

i have a volvo s80 d5 d244t year 2003 the problem i have that at any time the engine can cut out and being automatic i have to stop the car and after about 2 turns of the ignition it will restart,icould drive for 50 miles and have no trouble,or it could cut out after 1 mile.
i have replaced the cam shaft sensor,crank shaft sensor,put a volvo fuel filter,and replaced the airflow meter,yet thae car still cuts out,it has being put on a computor about 5 times and no faults are showing.
any one have any ideas.
dderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 16:38   #2
prionailurus
Dan

When it's working fine, is the power all there? Also what's your mpg?

From how much you've already replaced my next thought would be injectors, this is just a theory though...our D5s have multiple nozzle injectors (5 on the early 163s, 7 on the 185s?), so if there's a few blocked nozzles, on a few of the injectors, the engine will stall - probably without any regularity.
For what it will cost, I'd put some injector cleaner through, a fairly strong dose, and drive in perhaps a more "spirited" fashion where safe & legal.
Be careful though, as if you've a partially blocked injector, and as we have no O2 sensor, the ECU doesn't know the engine is running lean

This might be a better theory if we could say its had a "low quality" fuel in for a while, but surely all UK fuels, supermarket or otherwise, wouldn't cause injector bloackages?

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 18:06   #3
wanderer

Unhappy S80 D5 52 plate

I have the same problem. Volvo specialst and also main dealer can't get to the bottom of it. All the mail relays have been changed but, still cuts out and used to restart immediately. Now sometimes wont start for ages. Has anybody got an answer to this plaese?
wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 19:17   #4
dderek

Quote:
Originally Posted by prionailurus View Post
When it's working fine, is the power all there? Also what's your mpg?

From how much you've already replaced my next thought would be injectors, this is just a theory though...our D5s have multiple nozzle injectors (5 on the early 163s, 7 on the 185s?), so if there's a few blocked nozzles, on a few of the injectors, the engine will stall - probably without any regularity.
For what it will cost, I'd put some injector cleaner through, a fairly strong dose, and drive in perhaps a more "spirited" fashion where safe & legal.
Be careful though, as if you've a partially blocked injector, and as we have no O2 sensor, the ECU doesn't know the engine is running lean

This might be a better theory if we could say its had a "low quality" fuel in for a while, but surely all UK fuels, supermarket or otherwise, wouldn't cause injector bloackages?
when the car is running well the power is there,the computor gives 34mpg,can hear a slight whistle,but assume its the turbo charger,thanks for advice will get a strong injector cleaner and see what happens
Old May 30th, 2011, 14:27   #5
prionailurus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I have the same problem. Volvo specialst and also main dealer can't get to the bottom of it. All the mail relays have been changed but, still cuts out and used to restart immediately. Now sometimes wont start for ages. Has anybody got an answer to this plaese?
When it went to the Volvo dealer, was there any codes there, did they clear any messages? I don't know if there's a code for the fuel pump itself but this sounds like there's low fuel pressure. How many miles has it done?

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 16:12   #6
dderek

Default volvo s80 d5 stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
i had the same problem with my d5 stalling,i was advised to remove and clean the erg valve which i was told was located at the back of the block on the passenger side,,.
while looking for the valve i noticed a sending unit just beside the torbo was disconnected,i pluged it back in and the car is running fine now.
hope this helps.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 12:35   #7
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

What's the mileage of the car?

Is you in tank fuel pump noisy?

I would check the fuel pressure sensors on the injection pump as well.
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote