Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 '53 (MY04) Nivomat Shocks & Springs

Views : 3564

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:47   #1
Miti

Default XC90 D5 '53 (MY04) Nivomat Shocks & Springs

Hi... Before I stick these on Ebay, anyone interested in 2 Rear Nivomats from a '53 XC90?

These are NOT a pair...

The first is an original '53 shocker... It was in serviceable condition, but the lower mount had to be heated to remove the shock from the car, so the rubber bush is not perfect...

The second is a nearly new item... Over £450 worth..!!

We replaced this earlier this year after the LHS rear original developed a leak... I would normally replace shocks as a pair, but at this price I figured that I'd give it a go and just replaced the leaking shock... Big Mistake..!! The car has been handling terribly and there was an obvious mis-match between the new and old shocks (shocking really..!!)

So, I've bitten the bullet and converted the car to OEM gas/oil rear shocks and appropriate springs... We don't have self-levelling any more, but we do have an XC with a great ride and "normal" suspension again...

So... The old one is a good spare if you're replacing a damaged/leaking unit on an older car... I'm after £50 plus the postage...

The newer one is fit for any vehicle, but must be fitted with a matching unit - This has covered less than 5,000 mls, so fitting it with another new one would be the best bet... I'm looking for £200 plus the postage...

Any takers..? Please send me a pm and I'll arrange pictures...

Ta. Jeff

Oh... BTW: I also have the OEM rear springs to match the Nivomat units... Not pretty - they're 7 years old - but they're intact with no cracks or missing ends... £30 a pop plus postage, or £50 plus p&p for the pair...
Miti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 01:02   #2
jackxc90

Default xc90 rear suspension shocks and springs

Hello

Can I ask you what shocks and springs did you used to convert your xc90 from nivomats and how much it cost you.
also where did you buy the kit.
My rear suspension is gone so will need to take decision if buy new nivomats from volvo for £430 each or go for something like you did.
There is no informations what so ever so your post will be valuable
jackxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 20:11   #3
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackxc90 View Post
Hello

Can I ask you what shocks and springs did you used to convert your xc90 from nivomats and how much it cost you.
also where did you buy the kit.
My rear suspension is gone so will need to take decision if buy new nivomats from volvo for £430 each or go for something like you did.
There is no informations what so ever so your post will be valuable
Have a full set standard shockers and springs with bolts only used 120 miles contact me if you require open to offers
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 18:06   #4
Cliff JW

Hi GJB
I have one Nivomat leaking - can you give me an idea of how much you are looking for on the full set of standard shocks and springs?
Thanks

Last edited by Cliff JW; Feb 3rd, 2011 at 18:26. Reason: text was inadequate
Cliff JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 22:25   #5
jackxc90

Default Nivomats in volvo xc90 changing for standard

I have find out that in xc90 when you install standard shockers instead of nivo, you will need to change the springs as well and one more part to mount stadard shockers in.
If normal shockers will be installed car will look like overloaded (front up).New harder springs, apparently from 5 seat version will solve the problem.
I was looking for answer for a while and this is in 90% confirmed but maybe some one did it already?
if you know other languages like swedish maybe you can find an answer on other national volvo forums
jackxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 13:28   #6
abnxc90

Hi Miti,

I'm interested in the newer Nivomat unit but unable to PM you as I have not made 30 posts. Can you send pics / PM me please?

Thanks.
abnxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 14:43   #7
NIVAGO

Hi,

did you get a reply to this message? I'm looking at replacing my nivomats with standard shocks as the nivomats are exhorbitant!

Thanks,

NIVAGO
NIVAGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 18:10   #8
augau

Default nivomat xc 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miti View Post
Hi... Before I stick these on Ebay, anyone interested in 2 Rear Nivomats from a '53 XC90?

These are NOT a pair...

The first is an original '53 shocker... It was in serviceable condition, but the lower mount had to be heated to remove the shock from the car, so the rubber bush is not perfect...

The second is a nearly new item... Over £450 worth..!!

We replaced this earlier this year after the LHS rear original developed a leak... I would normally replace shocks as a pair, but at this price I figured that I'd give it a go and just replaced the leaking shock... Big Mistake..!! The car has been handling terribly and there was an obvious mis-match between the new and old shocks (shocking really..!!)

So, I've bitten the bullet and converted the car to OEM gas/oil rear shocks and appropriate springs... We don't have self-levelling any more, but we do have an XC with a great ride and "normal" suspension again...

So... The old one is a good spare if you're replacing a damaged/leaking unit on an older car... I'm after £50 plus the postage...

The newer one is fit for any vehicle, but must be fitted with a matching unit - This has covered less than 5,000 mls, so fitting it with another new one would be the best bet... I'm looking for £200 plus the postage...

Any takers..? Please send me a pm and I'll arrange pictures...

Ta. Jeff

Oh... BTW: I also have the OEM rear springs to match the Nivomat units... Not pretty - they're 7 years old - but they're intact with no cracks or missing ends... £30 a pop plus postage, or £50 plus p&p for the pair...
Ciao,sono interessato ai nivomat.sono ancora disponibili?mi puoi contattare?grazie e saluti.Augusto
augau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:19   #9
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by augau View Post
Ciao,sono interessato ai nivomat.sono ancora disponibili?mi puoi contattare?grazie e saluti.Augusto
With the aid of Google Translate:

Hello, I'm interested in the Nivomat. are still available? you can contact me? thanks and regards.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 18:15   #10
augau

Default nivomat per volvo xc 90

Buonasera, ecco i dati della mia macchina :

Telaio n° YV1CM796451191361 ;
Motore tipo : D5244T ;

Grazie e saluti.Augusto
augau is offline   Reply With Quote