Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Respray Front Spolier & Fog Light Trim

Views : 662

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2015, 07:46   #1
TTR

Default XC70 Respray Front Spolier & Fog Light Trim

All,

Thought I would update my earlier thread having now managed to remove and repaint the front spoiler and fog light trims.

For anyone who is considering the tasks its fairly easy:-

Front spoiler 6 threaded screws Torx30
Multiple plastic clips securing the spoiler to the bumper, easy enough to be honest.

Fog light trim is accessed once you clip out the black plastic inner trim of the fog light, then working carefully from the bottom centre of the trim to each edge ease out the plastic clips. I used a nylon model plane propeller, but you can get the right plastic trim tools on ebay easily enough. Once you get to each edge work slowly up and to the centre of the top trim taking equal clips out of each side. The trim then just pops out.

After much searching I gathered that the silver trim colour is Volvo 426 silver.

Both my spoiler and trims were stone chipped and scratched, I rubbed down with 320g wet and dry working to 400g. I did not fill the chips but sanded them out as best possible. A coat of plastic adhesive promoter is essential to get the paint bonding. After 3 coats of primer (a mist coat, heavier second and final). Flatted back with pad and three coats of silver then as final coat was tacking off I applied two coats of clear lacquer. Stand back and admire ( or if its run cry and start again !)

I let mine dry between each stage thoroughly, really pleased with results, just started taking rear trim off yesterday as that has a nasty gouge in it.

Wheels are doing well too, should have them sorted by next weekend.

If anyone wants any more info on removing the trim let me know.

Sean94 I know you asked so hope the detail above helps.

Hope this helps someone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0954.JPG (106.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0962.JPG (82.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0953.JPG (106.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0955.JPG (34.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0961.JPG (25.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0959.JPG (24.7 KB, 19 views)
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 12:14   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Cheers TTR that's very helpful! I swear you have my cars twin, same colour, same little things need doing and the same mileage haha. I know yours is a Sport but that's a minor thing. Mod budget is shrinking as the air con has developed a hissy and has stopped working!!! Oh FFS!

Great work though and I really need to get my ass in gear an do mine, though they have developed a nice collection of dead flies as it hasn't been washed since my thread was made so it's due!!! I'll sort it out
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 19:39   #3
MindlessJD

Looks great!

I love the front bumper design of the XC70 - think it looks way better than the V70, but the silver parts seem to be magnets for stone chips! Tempted to do mine now.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 20:15   #4
TTR

Cheers mindlessness,

It took some time and effort.

Just finished rear protector tonight, really pleased with results will post pics later this week.

Wheels getting final rub down on primer tonight and will spray Thursday.

It's worth the time to do and providing you take time the results are a great improvement.

Thanks again for the comments
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 20:18   #5
TTR

Angry

Sorry bl@$dy iPad auto corrected your name mindlessjd

Just noticed, I hate technology at times