Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

no communication with engine ECU

Views : 2265

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2015, 15:09   #1
weef

Question no communication with engine ECU

Hi, after an engine change on a 2009 V70 2.0D the vehicle will not start. It appears to be dead, will not crank over, when checked with a Snap On Modus Ultra there was no communication with the engine ECU, though it will communicate with the other on board systems. The fuses associated with the engine ECU are OK. My usual technical fallback (Autodata) proved to be scant on information regarding ECU pinouts as I want to check that supplies and earths are present. Any advice on this problem is welcome and any wiring diagrams / pinout information sources will be appreciated.

Thanks Weef.
weef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 21:10   #2
KBB
Master Tech

usually if a scan tool will not communicate with one or more modules then I suspect that particular ECU is not fully powered up so I would check all power supplies and grounds associated with that ECU.

If as you say this is after an engine change then good chance a ground cable is not been replaced.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 22:09   #3
weef

Default v70 Electrical- no comms withengine ECU

thanks for the quick reply, your train of thought is the same as mine hence I now need a source of a wiring diagram and the ecu pinout information, can you help with this?.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 22:13   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weef View Post
Hi, after an engine change on a 2009 V70 2.0D the vehicle will not start. It appears to be dead, will not crank over, when checked with a Snap On Modus Ultra there was no communication with the engine ECU, though it will communicate with the other on board systems. The fuses associated with the engine ECU are OK. My usual technical fallback (Autodata) proved to be scant on information regarding ECU pinouts as I want to check that supplies and earths are present. Any advice on this problem is welcome and any wiring diagrams / pinout information sources will be appreciated.

Thanks Weef.
You will need to take it to a volvo dealer for an ECU software reload , it can loose it's memory if left unpowered for a length of time ..
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 22:36   #5
weef

The car arrived to me with the battery having been disconnected by the recovery operators, the timing belt had snapped, and by the time a replacement engine was sourced and fitted it was about 15 days. Do you think that would have been too long to be powered down?. I still would like to check the ECU power and earth connections before I go down the dealer route, hence the request for a wiring diagram.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 08:55   #6
KBB
Master Tech

As a quick test when the key is turned to position 2 the EML should come on for the self bulb test and then go out, if the is no MIL activity at key on then its a good indicator that the ECU is not powered up either a missing power supply or ground. The ECU has 3 pins which are grounded they run into a splice and then terminate to ground on a single wire. The ground point is 31/XX5 and is located on the inner wing area just back from the front left head light unit.

Last edited by KBB; Sep 25th, 2015 at 09:14.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 18:57   #7
weef

There is no key as such, only a transponder type, and to power up the dash lights the "key" is pushed into its port, clutch pressed and the start button pressed. The multiple earth point on the inner wing is good. Can you tell me which pins these earths, and which pins the power are on at the ECU ?.