Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS problems

Views : 545

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 23:26   #1
nancy

I'm having problems with the ABS on my 940. The brake pedal sometimes pulses when pressed. The ABS sensors have all been replaced as have the rear discs and the front ones have been cleaned and checked. The pump (?) makes a rather disconcerting whirring sound sometimes when I slow down and also there is (occasionally) a nasty graunching sound coming from what feels like the front wheels. Anyone out there got any suggestions?
Nancy
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 23:43   #2
charlotte001

Pulsing at a guess isn't good although it means the ABS is working, ok a little hard (I felt the brake pulse on my Range Rover on hard brake none of the other cars ever have though) The noises could be down the brake pads or fitting kits moving in the caliper.

You could have something contacting either the inside of the hub between the ABS sensor and hub. Are you getting the warning lights on at all?

As for the pump making noises not sure what that can be. You could have an air lock somewhere in the system. I've read that the ABS pumps are fairly common to contain air when the system is bled although this air never gets to the main brake system.

If all is working i wouldn't be worried and as long as the man from the ministry is happy with it's brake efficiency then i'd leave well alone

Last edited by charlotte001; Aug 31st, 2006 at 23:46.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:12   #3
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy View Post
I'm having problems with the ABS on my 940. The brake pedal sometimes pulses when pressed. The ABS sensors have all been replaced as have the rear discs and the front ones have been cleaned and checked. The pump (?) makes a rather disconcerting whirring sound sometimes when I slow down and also there is (occasionally) a nasty graunching sound coming from what feels like the front wheels. Anyone out there got any suggestions?
Nancy
ill tell u what is causing it right now and its nothing to bad or costly

ok right basicaly its kind of a warning first hint
that u need to be aware of if u have never done this ur self then go to some wer like kwick fit ask them for a compleate brake fluid drain
or if u are doing it ur self take the cap of smell the new oil and smell the old oil the oil in the car iis probaly going to smell burnt .

how to diy
buy a presure bleder than runs of ur spare tyre
buy a galon of dot 4 brake fluid
then look in ur hains manual for the corect bleding route ie on my its the rear pasenger side first then then driverside rear then the front pasenger side then front driver side ull probaly have to do this abought 5 times to get all the old fluid out
a little tip buy a can of brake cleaner the spay type if u spill any dot 4 on the paint work spray it then mop it up other wise ull lose paint

hope this helps
mike
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:07   #4
davebutler

I had exactly the same problem on my Galaxy. On the Galaxy, the reluctor rings (the things that the ABS sensor reads) are heat shrunk onto the front CV joints. Over a period of time rust gets in and starts to strip off teeth. The net result is when you brake, the ABS sees (actually doesn't see) the missing teeth, and assumes the wheel has locked. Hence it pulses the brakes, exactly as if the system was working fine. You get no fault codes whatsoever, as the system is working fine. I also got the whirring sound you mention, which was the ABS pump working to rebuild the system pressure. I also found that the pulsing stopped at about 5 or 6 mph, which is the speed below which the ABS won't work ( or you could never actually stop the car).
This was costly on the Galaxy, as it needed two cv joints, but the Volvo is of course rear wheel drive, so it may not be so pricy, if that is indeed the problem.
Best of luck.
Dave