Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Volvo Owner!

Views : 2698

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 20:21   #1
sidmon

Default New Volvo Owner!

I have just bought my first long term Volvo a V90 3.0 estate. I have a few questions for a few jobs I need to get done.

The electric windows when going up or down squeak very very loudly.....whats the best way to free them up (think the rubber seals are rubbing against the window as it moves)

Does anyone know anywhere in the West Midlands or thereabouts that would do a full autobox fluid change for the fully synthetic I've read is advisable to get changed on these for.

Does the self levelling rear suspension ever need the levelling fluid changed/topped up and how do I check for that.

Do the rear shocks (being self levelling) need to be changed in pairs....or could you get away with changing them idividually without any real safety issues. Is this suspension air suspension in any way or is the compressor under the bonnet merely for blowing air to the injectors and nothing to do with the suspension.

Where would I get a biege luggage cover for the boot for the right money...I've only ever seen black ones on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

The car gives out one short knock from the front when I seem to take a Right hand turn....anyone know what this could be.

What kind of a job is changing the fuel filter on these and will I have to do the usual remove the fuel pump fuse and start vehcicle until all fuel in system is extinguished and system is depressurised before starting the job.

I keep reading these vehicles have a service reset light and need a special tool to do it but I see no lights to display this so do these models really have them.

Whats the best engine oil to use on these and wheres the best place to get the oil from as everywhere I look lately the darned stuff is stupidly expensive! Especially from halfrauds!

Can these vehicles take any kind of blue coolant or do they prefer Volvo or branded stuff to make the cooling system more efficient.

Is there anything above and beyond fluid anf filter changes I should be servicing that may not be immediately apparent on a car with no documentation.

Many Thanks for taking the time to read and I await your replies with anticipation....Si
sidmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 22:10   #2
George Holmer

Here is my contribution of replies:

As for the rear shocks, they should always be replaced in pairs. They are completely maintenance free and when worn need replacing, nothing else to do. They are complete, self-contained oil based shocks and are not air operated. The air compressor under the bonnet could be the cruise control.

Beige luggage cover is hard to find, try C P Motors in Tamworth.

The service light exists, it is the lambda light. It does not come on when you need a service but when something is wrong. The reader unit should be by the hand brake somewhere.

I would only use Volvo coolant or at least high quality one. Corrission is an issue.

As for the service, I would replace the timing belt and tensioner.

The knock when turning is probably a worn bushing in the front suspension, hard to say which one.

Many actually by genuine Mobile 1 at French hypermarkets when they go over for booze. I just pay the price, I consider good oil the most important. My last oil I bought from the largest Volvo dealer in Stockholm.

The window squeak is probably the rubber guides. Some baby powder might do it, or olive oil.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto +170k
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto +150k
1989 Volvo 765 Turbo Auto +150k
1988 Volvo 745 GL +220k
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:03   #3
sidmon

Default RE: New Volvo Owner!

Fortunately I managed to get the timing belt and tensioner done as soon as I bought it. The air compressor I think is for blowing cold air onto the injecters. Just how much is mobil 1 in France? didnt think it would be a major saving over british prices.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:31   #4
George Holmer

What does the air compressor look like?

1988 Volvo 745 GL +220k
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:04   #5
sidmon

A Small (around the size of a mans shoe) black air compressor with pipes going to the injectors. It is positioned left hand side of the engine as you look at it from the front.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:24   #6
George Holmer

Can you see it on this picture?

1988 Volvo 745 GL +220k
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 00:30   #7
sidmon

Its just to the right of the ABS pump you can just see the top of it in black. Just off the subject a second whats the spatk plug gap are is required and i'm still wondering what kind of job the fuel filter is.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 09:59   #8
George Holmer

That is the pulsed secondary air injection system, also known as PAIR or Pulsair.

From FAQ:
The Pulsed Secondary Air injection system adds oxygen to the exhaust manifold to continue the combustion of unburned fuel in the exhaust system and provides additional oxygen for the catalytic converter, thereby lowering harmful emissions. It is independent of the EGR system and many cars have both.

My VADIS CD tells me that the spark plug gap is 0.7-0.8 and torque 25Nm. The fuel filter just screws off and screws on but make sure the tank is no more than 3/4 full.

George

1988 Volvo 745 GL +220k
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 18:11   #9
sidmon

Many thanks for the info George. Whereabouts exactly is the fuel filter and how do I get to it, I've heard they are right next to the fuel pump. Also should I be changing the rear diff oil on it? or should I leave well alone!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 18:13   #10
sidmon

By the way George you wouldnt happen to know where the Pollen filter is located either would you....I should change that also while I'm at it.