Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo oil spec for D5?

Views : 60818

Replies : 160

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 00:21   #121
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoil View Post
I am facinated at present by Synlube's products.....
Yes I think it might be an interesting read if only they didn't have that awful music playing all the time. (I usually have music or radio or TV on the computer while I'm on line and there is no way to turn off that blasted music.) After 5 mins I always give up on the site.

Roy
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 00:35   #122
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Actually the Royal Purple web site did explain something about my car that I commented on from the time I started it up after the service when I had Amsoil put in it. It was running cooler and took longer to warm up. Their before and after thermal images photos of an engine show that synthetic oil makes an engine and transmission run much cooler. I thought it must be that I had something wrong with the climate control or cooling system, but I couldn't figure out what, so I'm quite relived now.

Roy
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:10   #123
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The latest API specs places more importance on the catalyser than cylinder head protection by the demand of the American Government.

Many automotive enginners believe them to be wrong in the belief that Phosphorus and ZDDP damage the catalyst. Including BMW who told their dealers that use of the latest API certified oil in their engines would void their warranty.
And what did BMW say exactly?... was ity more like:

Quote:
Automotive oils such as Castrol GTX have an API rating of SL, which have lower levels of anti-wear and antacid additives and are therefore not recommended. BMW produced a service bulletin stating that using an SJ or SL rated oil will void your engine warranty. Only use oils that are rated SG or SH which have more acceptable levels of beneficial additives.

Quote:
On the provision of information about what's in these oils I noticed this on the Royal Purple web site.

So when your in A&E with a vomiting two year old, and it's 3 am in Texas they're going to have a technician to speak to a doctor are they? Assuming you can find a doctor or nurse who can find the time and the switchboard operator to make a call to the USA. I don't fink so.

Roy
I fail to see the relevance to be quite honest, Are you saying scamsoil are any different in that they have a man sat waiting to answer the phone for poisoning incidents, or any of the other major manufacturers in that the precise composition is proprietary?

AMSOILS MSDS Says:

Quote:
There are extensive toxicological data available on the various components of this product. An adequate representation of all these data is beyond the scope of this document. Please contact the AMSOIL Material Safety Data Sheet Coordinator for more detail.
Anyway, I think you'd find the first point of call for the NHS in that situation would be TOXBASE, and in that situation they'd always find the time.... Thats what I fink tbh.

Anyway, I'm sure that the good old "amsoil is wonderful" will just continue to be piled all over the internet by the various salemen and representatives, I've personally no axe to grind, other than being slightly sick to the hind teeth of the likes of the snake oil salesmen invading every board on the planet. I for one don't happen to have any interest in selling any oils, making any money from recommending any oils or any other such nonsense.

Quite frankly, I've seen a number of engines which have been subjected to fairly extreme in comparison to regular users operating conditions in the uk, with regular services using regular semi-synth/synth and they quite happily pile over the 200k mark. If the marketing men have to invade every forum going and flog their overpriced snake oils then somethings wrong....

Either way, I'm quite happy sticking with what it says in the manual.... and it's stated fairly clearly... it doesn't say "Any old oil that any old sales guy says meets ACEA xyz" it says "ACEA A5/B5" simple.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:43   #124
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

That bit on the BMW warranty statment looks like a news post rather than the actual instruction which I belive was a bit more aggesive and to the point about the lack of additives to protect the valve train.

The relavence of the bit from the Royal Purple H&S sheet was a continuation of some thoughts I'd expressd in a previous post.
Quote:
I think that the oil companies should be more upfront about their products and alow more informed discussions. After all evey other product we bring into our homes has very detailed informtion about it's contents on the label. Whether it's skin cream, flloor cleaner, food etc. Why not lubricating oil? If one of the kids drinks it I would like to know what to tell the hospital it contains.
Sorry if you thought it was in response to somthing you'd posted. The Royal P H&S sheet just amused me and I was attempting to be funny, and make the point that we are entitled to have more info from the oil companies about what we are being sold. This secrecy they all display ticks me off I'm afraid. I'm sure the Health Service is quite capable of dealing with any emergency and no critisim of anyone in the Health Service was ment, and appogies to anyone who was affended by my attempts to be humerous.

You might like to check this page out which you may find interesting s60ben. (Turn your speakers off though.)

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 3rd, 2008 at 02:45.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 20:25   #125
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post

Anyway, I'm sure that the good old "amsoil is wonderful" will just continue to be piled all over the internet by the various salemen and representatives, I've personally no axe to grind, other than being slightly sick to the hind teeth of the likes of the snake oil salesmen invading every board on the planet. I for one don't happen to have any interest in selling any oils, making any money from recommending any oils or any other such nonsense.

Quite frankly, I've seen a number of engines which have been subjected to fairly extreme in comparison to regular users operating conditions in the uk, with regular services using regular semi-synth/synth and they quite happily pile over the 200k mark. If the marketing men have to invade every forum going and flog their overpriced snake oils then somethings wrong....

Either way, I'm quite happy sticking with what it says in the manual.... and it's stated fairly clearly... it doesn't say "Any old oil that any old sales guy says meets ACEA xyz" it says "ACEA A5/B5" simple.
Thanks for that note. Was tempted to get a***y with the snake oil salesman but life is too short. Selling big-profit snake oil today, mobile 'phones tomorrow perhaps. The book, and the engine-bay plate, stipulate 0W-30 A5/B5 so that's the end of it. Amsoil 2000 claim A5/B5 on their site but not on the product label pictured. So, that's off the list then.

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 20:40   #126
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Quote:
That bit on the BMW warranty statment looks like a news post rather than the actual instruction which I belive was a bit more aggesive and to the point about the lack of additives to protect the valve train.

The relavence of the bit from the Royal Purple H&S sheet was a continuation of some thoughts I'd expressd in a previous post. Sorry if you thought it was in response to somthing you'd posted. The Royal P H&S sheet just amused me and I was attempting to be funny, and make the point that we are entitled to have more info from the oil companies about what we are being sold. This secrecy they all display ticks me off I'm afraid. I'm sure the Health Service is quite capable of dealing with any emergency and no critisim of anyone in the Health Service was ment, and appogies to anyone who was affended by my attempts to be humerous.

You might like to check this page out which you may find interesting s60ben. (Turn your speakers off though.)

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

Roy
Great link, thanks. Do get the impression, though, that Exxon, (now ExxonMobil), have really ticked-off these folks at some point in time. It's not far short of an anti-ExxonMobil rant. Doesn't mention that Mobil was actually originally spun-off from Standard Oil, (later Exxon), at the time of its enforced break-up. Interesting reading though.

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 22:41   #127
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

There's a good oil analysis here which is interesting becuse it's a motorbiike oil test with a couple of motor oils thrown in for comparison and the motor oils happen to be Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Motorcylcle engines are less tolerant of poor oil than car engines because they are more highly tuned and run at higher revs and hotter.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

Also another long term Mobil test and an Amsoil test, although it's not of the 2000 series oil but the older version.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 4th, 2008 at 22:49. Reason: link added
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 15:23   #128
Pliurzis

Hi every one!

After reading of all your messages I am confused about witch oil to use in my 163 D5 made 2002, but I have one question, because I don't have owner's manual can anyboudy tell me exactly what manual says? Thanks.
Pliurzis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 15:59   #129
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliurzis View Post
Hi every one!

After reading of all your messages I am confused about witch oil to use in my 163 D5 made 2002, but I have one question, because I don't have owner's manual can anyboudy tell me exactly what manual says? Thanks.
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0/03s60_00.htm
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 00:49   #130
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliurzis View Post
Hi every one!

What car is your D5 engine in Pliurzis?

Volvo recommend this stuff for their D5 engines now, but any good quality synthetic that meets their spec is OK.......http://www.mapodo.de/product_info.php/products_id/444

Don't take too much notice of this thread, were just thinking out loud and trying to see if we can get better results than Volvo can with all their engine testing. ;-)

Roy