Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon v8 conversion options..

Views : 28875

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2011, 19:27   #41
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy View Post
Yes I did....I can't remember the width of the strut towers on the stock suspension. If you need any measurements, I have 2 1uz's sitting on the floor.
I'd love measurements. Then I can compare those with my combi sitting outside and see if it will fit

main thing would be width from head to head and if the stock manifolds would work or if I'd have to fab headers...

If you could give me some basic measurements that would be awesome...

thanks!
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 21:50   #42
Poopy

I will get them for you later on today...It's only 2:00pm here.
Poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 02:52   #43
Poopy

A crude sketch lol. The lumps out the side are the stock manifolds, they stick out about 1.5" further than the valve covers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poopy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 16:19   #44
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

There will be definite clearance issues in the factory Amazon engine bay, due to the upper control arm intrusion, and the height and bulkiness of the factory Amazon Crossmember. The factory Amazon Crossmember does not allow alot of oil pan configurations due to this bulkiness and overall height. With this V8 being set up for a later model standard style sub-frame (K Frame) I am sure the Oil Pan Configuration will not be compatible at all..

I have been watching Poopy's build on the other forums I am a member of, and he is doing some great and innovative work for sure. Hope to see the car somewhere when it is completed, and perhaps he will take me for a ride. Or even better, let me drive it.. LOL

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 03:29   #45
DQ81

Cheers Poopy!

So you're building the hybrid?

It's a hell of a build. Really like the wide fender arches.

I'm going to see if I can't get this to work with a Mustang II front end with custom shock mounts.

Otherwise I'm back to the 302 which can provide plenty of power but I'm all excited about a fully fuel injected 32valve with 6bolt mains. That and if I can find a post '97 engine.... but I've found two of the 260hp specimens for cheap (entire car aournd 250k km's) but I suppose I could put that same money in the 302 and have it pushing around 330hp or so. But hell if I can get the Lexus in it free's up the 302 for an old Ford project I might get and well, bloody hell.

Hahhahaha... What power upgrades can be done to the 1uzf? Are there aftermarket cams?

Poopy what ECU are you going to run with a turbo?
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 03:51   #46
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

I am running the late model General Motors LS1's and LS6's out of the Corvette's. It is way lighter than the earlier V8's, and only ways in about 85 pounds heavier than the original B18/B20 Volvo engine. It also offers way more power, and our LS6's are running about 545 horsepower, and are basically bullet proof.

I know I am showing the motor in the P1800's, but the Amazon is the same basic set up.. My crossmember/suspension kits are designed to work with both models, because they are so similar..

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Dec 11th, 2011 at 04:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 21:01   #47
beario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy View Post
1997 and newer were I believe have variable valve timing, that would be where the extra hp comes from.
i run a ls 400 vvti engine they are near 300 hp,my mate jas a ls400 engine in his supra stock 1uzfe with headers and exhaust made 296hp,on a manual w58 supra box with adapter plate...he just vortech supre charged it at 6 psi made 400ish and same torque,stock blck stock ecu just a rising rate fuel reg...he is selling the charger kit on ebay at present...vvti is better in my opinion feels a lot faster than non vvti,also you get a front facing intake/similar to the ls1 engines and single coil packs on each plug...vvti is 99> ls 400...seriously go drive one,its a missile in a massive 1700kg car in an amazon would be awesome and they go forever 6 bolt mains,steel rods/crank and hypertechnic pistons stock...
beario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beario For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 03:06   #48
Poopy

Wow look at my horrible grammar! ^^ I must have been tired.

Yes the hybrid is mine and I am so excited to drive it! 3-500 hp in a car that weighs 2500lbs or less is going to be unreal.

A few things to consider....the vvti motors use lighter weaker rods and higher compression and aren't that great for boost because of those things. But NA they seem to be the way to go.

I'm running a haltech ecu to run it stock, as well as when its boosted. I found a build on another forum for a NA 1uz. Here is the important part:

"Just got it tuned last night with 14:1 pistons, 1.5mm O/S exhaust valves, mild port work, Kelford 286 degree cams and ITB trumpets lengthened by 100mm...

270rwkw!!

Haven't got dyno sheet yet as printer ran out of ink. Can't remember the torque figure but it was around 700nm and made more torque than the previous setup right from the start of the dyno run at 2000rpm!
"

So 360hp na with a fairly simple build, I know a guy locally who has 571rwhp on a completely stock 1uz running 21psi on a single turbo.

This is the 571hp car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvpZbFIoVGk
The Following User Says Thank You to Poopy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 01:16   #49
DQ81

The problem with LS enginens is that everyone over here seems to thing they're worth their weight in gold, this is due to scarcity.

That setup looks awesome, but it's not in my budget by far. One day...

As the 1UZFE is relatively cheap to come by over here (and you get an automatic and whole car for free!) I'm leaning towards this route, a '98 or later model due to the more evenly distributed power band. i'm not going to push this engine further, maybe an M90 blower at some point way down the line but really for me, for now, for a non track, fun street car, I think 294hp in a 1200kg car (that's not allowing for the freeflowing exhaust it will have as it needn't have cats for emission in the Amazon) should do just fine. It's streetable, economical enough (LPG G3!!) and more then enough fun for power.

Now for front suspension, old 121 stuff is out (it's a '62 so stock DRUMS UP FRONT!) and redo the front end out of boxed steel and McPhearson front setup. That's the plan for now.

Oh, and the Combi, that's still getting a 24v straight six. Restore back to former glory and it's a great and practical classic.

that's all for now folks.

BTW, what manual gearbox choices are there? Do I need an adapter plate?
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 02:43   #50
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are some pics of the new clearances that our crossmember/suspension kits offer...

The LS1 sitting in the projects now, with this crossmember/suspension kit, actually has considerably more rear sump clearance.. The LS1 actually sits lower in the engine bay, with proper ground clearance, than the original B18/B20. Swedish Ops has custom shorty headers being manufactured, that will be offered also.. These headers will still allow plenty of room for starter work, spark plug replacement, and they install with out jacking or prying the motor around.. LOL

The V8 oil pans with rear sumps have even more clearance than the original B18/B20, along with being able to now sit in a natural position during the transplant, rather than the normal shoehorned fit... Also, you will see how much more oil pan to crossmember space is available for use.. And done forget, the total removal of the upper control arms and steering components that clutter up the front of the engine bay..

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Dec 14th, 2011 at 02:54.

Tags
v8 amazon