Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon v8 conversion options..

Views : 28886

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2013, 16:25   #61
jamie
amazon1954

how is your project goin'?
Jamie
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 07:46   #62
Andy the Aussie

Over 12 months since he's been online here......

I'd say we've lost this one or it didn't happen ?

Anyone seen a thread anywhere else ?
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:53   #63
DQ81

over 12 months?

Time flies.

Relationships end and new one's start. Houses get fixed up and a ton of other projects come your way and having ADD like me and wanting everything I can now honestly admit to being a project hoarder!

Here's an update:

The coupe went to the UK to have work done by a mate with 30+ years custom front end experience. Got a Ford 302 with AOD trans for it. B18 and 4speed removed, sold. Project sat for just under 2 years in storage. He/We never got to it. I decided to bring it back and get at it myself keeping it in dry storage for now. In the meantime I came across a 1947 Ford Fordor which is begging for that 302/AOD, still deciding.

Since my first post I've sold my combi.... BUT... about a year later I bought an almost identical one off a friend, this time without the rot! It's a solid car, a '67. First thing I did was drop it on the floor, has a great B20 with OD box.

Just 3 weeks ago I bought the donor for it: Volvo 850 T5. Getting this engeine up to scruff in the 850 and a chip in the ECU next week, replacing all the hoses etc. Mid next week this engine should produce 310hp at the crank and around 400nm of torque at around 2.2k RPM. Sounds great. Still sourcing the M90 I'll need to bolt up to this. Looking for a complete driver donor, best would be something with a B230 in it so I can save that lump for my MGB.

I have too many projects it's frustrating, all run and drive but all need changing/modifying to my liking. Also I can't pass up a good deal if it comes my way and that slows down ALL projects, I need to stop buying projects and start finishing them!

So the progress is:

'62 coupe engine removed, sourcing disc brake front crossmember, welding to do on sils and still thinking about which v8... or maybe just sell it....

'67 Combi is getting the T-5 with a 5 speed. Any info on those swaps. Basically I'll just get started by pulling the engine once it runs the way I want it too and go from there but no use inventing the wheel!

how's everyone else's projects going?

cheers
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DQ81 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:57   #64
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Mattias Vock has got 600Hp out of what I think is the Volvo turbo 3.0l 6cylinder. Links to some pics of the car and engine: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volvo/1...n-ar15231.html
http://www.vocks.se/?p=viewgallery&gid=4
Just for info, the Volvo T5 engine bolts up to the Volvo M90 gearbox and the 2.3l will comfortably produce 300Hp. Considering an Amazon only weighs 1100kg, that would push it along. You'd also get a wee bit of a weight saving from the T5 and M90 I would think.
Just some thoughts for you to consider. The V8 would sound good though...
A link to US V8s dimensions: http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html
do you have any more info on the T5 swap? It's a great throaty burly engine in the 350kg heavier 850 with fwd. I can't wait to have it in the Amazon with an extra 80hp and bunches of torque from the ECU remap, free flow exhaust etc. !!!
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 10:13   #65
DQ81

Combi upon purchase:

The next day post cosmetic surgery:

Old Oct 24th, 2013, 11:24   #66
Colonel Froth

There's at least one T5 swap documented online but it doesn't look like a great way to do it. They chop up a 240 crossmember and fabricate new wishbones, use MacPherson struts and the 240 rack. Doesn't say whether that was because of sump clearance issues or to get slightly more space in the bay so they could mount the engine very low down. The wagon that Vocks built had even more fabrication work.

How's your tyre rub with the front that low?
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 12:29   #67
Derek UK
VOC Member

Vox also has Mac struts.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 13:19   #68
DQ81

To be honest I like the idea of Mac struts etc. might pull a good portion of stuff off the 850 or donor 940/960 down the line. Can then use my disc setup from the combi on the coupe... I digress.

Tyre rub is bad there left front at full lock hitting a bump. I already limited the turning radius a bit by turning out the full steering lock bumpstop located just inside of the lower wishbone.

Gonna trim or roll the fender lip for better clearance, rear is not an issue.

In general I might lift the car back up about 1" to make every day driving easier. As it sits, it handles very well. On rails, but I imagine a ton of over/under steer if I don't get that engine and trams down low and centered front to back, might modify the firewall to be able push it back...
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 21:25   #69
nonhog

Flat red or primer? I "think" I like it?
(http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332836)
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 23:40   #70
DQ81

Flat red, faded a bit, would like it a little more of a rust tone or the original red.

What's there to think about?

Tags
v8 amazon