Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pram wheels

Views : 2591

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:18   #11
a15htn

Odd that..... my R has a standard size Volan in the boot, and a warning about the fact that the diff will not be impressed if a different size wheel is run on the same axle.... weird ?

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:29   #12
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Pram wheels

That would certainly be the case if your car was a AWD, but the standard FWD car will run spacesaver spares - especially on the back axle of course.

Actually, if your car was a AWD, running a new spare opposite a worn tyre will knacker the diff - puncture one of these and it's a trailer job to the tyre dealers for four new boots.

Yes four, since the front-to-back diameter must also be the same as the side-to-side diameter.

Argh!
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:34   #13
Peter Spurway

Hi Everyone, from 'The new kid on the block'

With the T5 V70 running Pirelli P6000 225/45 R17, a 'proper' wheel will NOT fit in the wheel well. I actually tried it today!

When I bought the car last year, a 'full size' spare was unavailable in the options list. I assumed that was because it would not fit. Now confirmed :)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 16:59   #14
Neil V70R

I think Jim is refering to the section in the owners manual that refers to wheel diameter on AWD's and cars equipped with the visco-drive differentials (manual 70 series R's) but I aren't sure if manual 850R's used the same diff setup as the later cars.

With regards to the "new" V70's fitted with 225/45 tyres, a friend of mine ordered a full size 17" alloy spare for his V70 2.4T, and we managed to get it to fit in the well, after removing the plastic tray that fits under the lifting floor section.

Has anyone tried these aerosols, like the ones TVR use instead of a spare wheel ? I am fortunate/unfortunate enough to run a R AWD and it seams to me that the space saver ain't a lot of use at all if its going to wreck the diffs when used. Could these aerosols be a get you home alternative if the punctured tyre isn't gashed e.t.c ??

Neil (99 R-AWD)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 22:24   #15
Matt360

Hi Neil

re the tyre gunk/inflator

peugeots new little 205 coupe has no spare wheel, cos of the folding

roof they actulayy supply 2 tubes of the tyre inflating gunk with the car,

and membership to the aa included in the price..

re my experiance with the gunky stuff

it serves only one purpose to get you to a tyre depot or home

the 2 problems associated with it are

if the tyre is off the rim, or the sealing bead has detached

all the inflation aerosol in the world wont work!!

and when you take the true to the tyre depot not exceeding 30mph

cos of the heat the tyre generates

the worst part is that the tyre has to be junked

so if you have a brand new tyre at £100 pounds cost and you puntutre

it at one day old. Then carry out a temporary get you home repair

using tyre gunk, you would have to buy a new tyre again

the reason being that the tyre repair place cannot find the puncture

to repair, as the gunk puts a thin film of sealant over all the inner

surface of the tyre. Hence the do not exceed 30mph bit

from personall experiance i would not use it

but other people may swear by it

regs

matt
Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:24   #16
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: Pram wheels

Interestingly enough some manufacturers are actually advertising a full size spare wheel as standard!!!!Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote