Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-starting an 850

Views : 2157

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:01   #1
alun8

Hi all,
Probably showing my lack of mechanical/technical/general etc skill here, but one of my 850s has been sitting in a garage for over two months with a totally flat battery.
It is due to come out soon, but I need some advice on starting her back up again as I don't want to cause any damage (is it possible?).
My other cars I would have just charged up the battery, put it back on and cranked it unitl it went, without out a care in the world :-).
I don't want to do this incase I upset the computer or something.
If it's not possible to cause any damage, and I'm just being stupid, please, have a laugh on me!!!!!!!
Although, tell me so!!!
Cheers guys
Al

850, 2.0, 20v
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:03   #2
a15htn

No need to be nervous.....we loonies at the performance section ain't that bad are we lads ? :)

I would suggest charging the battery (don't forget to disconect the alternator first) then when all charged connect everything up and maybe a drop (not too much) of oil in through the oil filler to help the cams out initially. Make sure you have plenty of fuel...then turn the ignition on for a few seconds for the fuel pump to get some pressure....then see if she'll start -- hey presto -- your all 850'd again :)

The ecu will have been re-set if the battery has been flat for a prolonged period of time but don't worry it will work itself out after a week or so of normal use......

I think that'd cover it......lets see if anyone else has any thoughts ? Over to the rest of the section..........

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:54   #3
Adrian

Jim,

As you know, I am your greatest fan. It's just this ECU thing keeps tickling me. I really wish that the battery thing did work. is it unique to certain years/models?

I have just tried it four times to no avail. I only raise the point cos as u know I would dearly like to be able to reset the ECU on mine from time to time. She is going like a goodun now but who knows what tomorrow holds! ;)

Is there a box (ECU) that can be pulled out and if so where is it and what dragons does one have to slay in order to get to the blighter!?

Looking forward to the weekend. Just think... If I had not bought three tyres and a windscreen this week I could have stayed in the Posh hotel with the toffs! Still, I'm sure the travel inn will do me proud!

Cheers, mate!

Loz

850 T5 CD Auto - The Devil's Playgound }>
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:05   #4
noiseboy
VOC Member

Default RE: Re-starting an 850

There's nothing wrong with the posh hotel you know ;)

(and you dont have to be a toff to stay there either!)

or maybe your just trying to tell me something? :P

Regards,

Phil :-)

PS: Re the ECU thing - mine seems totally unaffected by holiday length (upto 4 week) battery disconnection.

www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:54   #5
a15htn

Ade,
The ECU's are in the big black box that looks like an air filter box (complete with intake for cooling) next to the power steering resevoir and behind the screenwash filler and in front of the radiator expansion tank.....usually held shut with a shear bolt...so you need a bolt to close it with afterwards.....have a nosey at this (wish it was mine ! ) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/Cone.jpg

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:47   #6
Gareth

Jim,

That looks spanking..... I want mine like that (Not in red though as mines white)

Goodjob there...

going back to the posts...

The ECU is the box in the front right. Remove the strap and clip the lid up. Mine has two Boosch ECU units with large handles. pull the lever towards you and the ecu will lift out.

I have to do this becuase the lamda light comes on every 2 months or so....

Cheers

G
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 20:12   #7
Davef
VOC Member

All you need do is give it a couple of turns with the coil lead taken out of the distributor to get the oil around the engine. Connect up again and start it. Allow to tick over for a minute or two to again make sure the oil has circulated (check to see that the oil pressure light has gone out) then all should be OK.
Dave
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:49   #8
tonyflynn1

Hi Dave, this is probably me being a bit thick but turning the engine over with no spark, won't this put raw petrol into the cat?
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:19   #9
alun8

Thanks for the help so far. I'll just wait to see if there is a response to what Tony said.
Al

850, 2.0, 20v
850, 2.5, 20v

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:01   #10
Loz

Why has nobody asked why u have 2 850 Volvos?

Just curious.

And yes, I think it is worth paging the oracle on that cat advice!

Save a few :'( moments

have a few more }> moments

Loz

It a Volvo thing