Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

renault engines

Views : 1963

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:30   #1
jaime_

Default renault engines

Hi everybody,I am a new member and would like to ask if anybody knows if the td renault engine fits in a 2002 v40 that had the renault dci 4192T3. The engine of my car broke because of the turbo ( oil in ) and reapairing it is not worth and my idea is to change the engine so I found this renault td from an older version.
Thanks very much
jaime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 14:29   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_ View Post
Hi everybody,I am a new member and would like to ask if anybody knows if the td renault engine fits in a 2002 v40 that had the renault dci 4192T3. The engine of my car broke because of the turbo ( oil in ) and reapairing it is not worth and my idea is to change the engine so I found this renault td from an older version.
Thanks very much
I am not experienced enough to answer this. What I know that the engine is the F9Q and each car manufacturer tweaked things to fit their cars. It would be interesting to find out the answer.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 19:17   #3
jaime_

yes, thanks gatos, ( spanish nick?) the thing is that to repair mine is about 3800€ and the price of the car in the second hand market is less, so I ll keep trying to find out some other options. The car still looks very well and I really like to drive it but we´ll see...
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:41   #4
gatos
Premier Member

I know "gatos" means "cat" in Spanish, but it's also the same same in Greek... hence the name. 3800€ sounds waaaaayyyy too much. What's wrong with the engine. I also hope someone will be able to help with your original question.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 15:21   #5
jaime_

the mechanich told me that the engine is totally destroyed, my wife was driving it , suddenly accelerated a lot and could not stop it,even with the key out, until it started to smoke, it seemed that oil went into the turbo, thats all I know. Yes, hopefully somebody will tell me if the renault td works.
thanks again
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 15:58   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Without trying to distract you from the original question of whether a Renault engine will fit an S40, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to list everything the mechanic has told you, or ask him again what the exact damage is and report it here.

It looks very likely that oil went into the turbo and it is possible to be fixed or replaced at a much lower cost. Unless if the engine has seized up because of lack of oil, resulting in the loss of oil pressure, in which case a new engine might be necessary.

The more details you give, the more possible for another member to suggest something you may not have considered.

Come on S40 Experts..... any ideas?
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:02   #7
jaime_

Finally decided to repair my engine, I found a cheaper mechanich that will do it, so hopefully I ll have it in good cond. in a month, I ll tell you how it ends.
thanks a lot for the replies gatos!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 20:48   #8
Biotoxic
Master Member

And ask him to inspect what caused turbo failure, might be that some peace of stone that has hit the turbo blades, and braking turbo shaft apart, so oil could escape and make engine run when ignition is off. Engine should be all right, if there is no heat damage to it.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:52   #9
jaime_

I´ll ask him and post here . Thanks
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 10:21   #10
littlehomer
Master Member

Hey up,

I'm not hot on engine codes. But I know my 2001 car has a 4192T4 engine.

I think it's the later cars that had the T3 engine.

Service intervals seem to be slightly more frequent with the T3?

I would hazard a guess that without some re-work, the older phase 1 diesels won't go in a phase 2 car. The wiring loom probably won't do the trick.

But swapping renault to renault with the later cars may work.

What will the mechanic be replacing?

I've recently had to take my exhaust cat off, turbo off and both manifolds off the engine.

If it's replacement of turbo, a second hand one can be had for around £100.

If there's actually some work to the block itself, that's deeper again.

Swapping the turbo, whilst annoying, is actually not to bad a job if you take your time.

There's an amazing guide on here on how to do it too!

Many Thanks,

Daniel.
littlehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to littlehomer For This Useful Post: