Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Cap Door Wont Lock

Views : 15808

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:42   #11
b1gdeano

My fuel door lock failed a while back too - S60 D5

Just wouldnt lock, and mine didnt have the delay, it did it instantly - Previous owner must have had the delay removed

When I took the locking unit out of the car and opened it up I could see the fault was that the metal cog of the motor had chewed off some of the plastic cog that moves the plastic bar

I ordered a replacement one from eBay, which turned out not to work - but I managed to use the cogs from it to repair the original one - however it still wont lock!

I have tested the motor by passing a current through it when it is out the car, and it does move the bar back and forward, but when it is connected up to the car, it does nothing! You can hear it trying to unlock (even though it is in unlock state) but doesnt try to lock, almost like it cant reverse the current to make the motor go that way

Not sure why this is happening, as the part isnt sophisticated with pairing to the car, its just a simple two wire solution's!

I gave up trying to figure it out in the end - but if someone has ideas I am willing to try again!
b1gdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 22:37   #12
jgjones095
Master Member

on a different note

I know mines locks after the delay but what ive noticed is that when following the wife in the volvo the wind wipped the fuel cap open when she was driving along.
now imo this isnt good. Is there anyway of making it lock when driving along?

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 08:19   #13
Simon Jones
Premier Member

It sounds like the spring in the hinge is not doing its job. Fitting a new hinge is a fairly common and simple job: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...649#post271649

The only time I've had the flap come open is when it was caught by a rotating brush in a car wash. Fortunately, it was shut again by the brush on the return action.

As far as I'm aware, the only way you can lock it is to lock the doors and then it will engage after 10 minutes.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 13:54   #14
deeppockets

The hinge is part number 31265160 (£9.84 from Volvo dealership) and would recommend placing a rug or towel on the floor under the fuel filler when initially driving the securing pins in as the flap accidentally can fall (as happened to me).

On a slight tangent, there has been discussion regarding the use of lubricants to free the lock solenoid mechanism, I suggest the use of silicon based lubricants as mineral oils (WD40, 3in1 oil, etc.) can damage plastics and rubbers seals, spray for the pin and grease for the gears.
deeppockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 14:34   #15
ok_computer

Hello

My V70 have the same problem. I can't lock the fuel door.

I replaced the relay, I replaced the motor ( mabuchi ) ..

I can't find a solution for this. It unlock when I press the key fob ,,

The fuel door dind't lock after 10 minutos or 10 days...

any idea?
ok_computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 15:54   #16
Bramble43

I've a v70 that isn't locking the flap.

It's showing as an error on dice.
I've tried activating it with the software and it does nothing.
Using tester, both wires are negative.
The solenoid works when powered with a probe.

The alarm siren is also not working and showing as a Fault, is it possible the siren could affect it?
Bramble43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 12:45   #17
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble43 View Post
I've a v70 that isn't locking the flap.

It's showing as an error on dice.
I've tried activating it with the software and it does nothing.
Using tester, both wires are negative.
The solenoid works when powered with a probe.

The alarm siren is also not working and showing as a Fault, is it possible the siren could affect it?
There is NO solenoid, this a motor driven mechanism with a time delay of approx. 10 minutes on/after using central locking- if it really isn't locking after 20 minutes, consider stripping out the mechanism and cleaning motor & brushes and re-greasing the worm drive - I posted a way of sorting the problem a couple of years ago -
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143888

mine has stayed "jam" free since then.

The second click/clunk you hear after a round 15 to 30 seconds is the central locking deadlock function activating NOT the fuel flap as stated above that locks after 10 minutes or so, but can be delayed by up to another ten minutes due to the vagaries and phasing of the Can-Bus System
Alan

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 23:36   #18
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You can remove the 10 minute delay using VIDA which makes testing the lock easier.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 14:59   #19
ronmanager

Mine stopped working this weekend. Stuck in the locked position. I worked out how to manually release it by wedging my hand behind the boot trim and pulling the pin back - easy once you work it out. I was of a mind to just saw off the loop inside the flap and take my chances with a fuel thieves.

However as if by magic it started working again so not sure what was stopping it.

One of the most annoying thing about these cars is the temperamental electronics. Eg. central locking and sunroof failures involving pulling and refitting fuses to reset or doing weird ignition key sequences. My passenger front window still won't auto up without going halfway back down again. I've fixed it twice using forum provided tricks but it doesn't last. I assumed this fuel flap lock would be the same but couldn't find details of which fuse was linked to it or where that fuse might sit.

Worst case scenario if it fails again I might buy an old school Halfords locking cap and be done with it.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 17:15   #20
jasmith44
jasmith44

It might only need a bit of grease in the solenoid.I think Cheshired5 has a video on you tube about it

Tags
fuel cap door, lock