Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boot won't open

Views : 2558

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2013, 18:13   #1
Tulip0852

Smile Boot won't open

Hi,
The boot of my son's S40 won't open, I managed to get into the boot from the inside and open it (very hard to do but I managed). I got a secondhand boot lock assembly from Volvo parts Huddersfield as I was advised that the micro switches are dodgy. However, this didn't work either. I have been looking for a fuse for the boot but I have no idea where it is. It doesn't seem to be under the bonnet nor under the clove compartment. Has anyone any hints pointers in the right direction?

All help will be greatly appreciated Thanks

PS there is power to the numberplate lights which are in the same unit as the boot lock operaor

55 plate S40 1.6 petrol
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 10:05   #2
s40baz

Default wire loom

it will be your boot wiring loom there only 30 quid from volvo dealer easy to fit and will cure your problem
s40baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 12:25   #3
craigblues
VOC Member

I had a similar problem recently. I changed the micro-switch and still had the problem.

My local Volvo Dealer Tech Guy said always try the wiring loom first as they are known for failing dependent on age/use of boot as wires get stretched and damaged over time.

It was the wiring loom in the end. Luckily found out before I ordered a new Lock as they were NOT cheap.
craigblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 13:13   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If it is just the micro switch then this can be bought as a separate item these days and should be in the region of £15. If your given a quote in the region of £70 then this is for a complete handle and is NOT required.

As said, check loom then if all okay change just the micro switch.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 07:04   #5
AnthonyPutter

Cool Boot lid not opening

My daughter used my wife's S40 (2009) for the weekend to go to Knysna, South Africa and she contacted me saying that boot lid does not want to open. She had to lower rear seats to get luggage out. I've noticed a couple weeks back that the boot light was not working and replaced it with a new bulb, but still it was not working. The numberplate lights are working. Can this be the boot wiring loom giving problems or anything else?
Volvo parts & labour in South Africa very expensive.
AnthonyPutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 13:39   #6
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPutter View Post
My daughter used my wife's S40 (2009) for the weekend to go to Knysna, South Africa and she contacted me saying that boot lid does not want to open. She had to lower rear seats to get luggage out. I've noticed a couple weeks back that the boot light was not working and replaced it with a new bulb, but still it was not working. The numberplate lights are working. Can this be the boot wiring loom giving problems or anything else?
Volvo parts & labour in South Africa very expensive.
99% chance it's the wiring loom, it's a simple job to replace yourself however you can also repair it if you're okay with a soldering iron and some heat shrink.

I wrote a guide for replacement but if you want to do a repair you can also check it out as it will be clear what you need to do for repair. The guide is here: Click here
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoodini For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 04:13   #7
AnthonyPutter

Thanks I will try it this coming weekend. My boot lid etc. looks exactly the same as yours so I will be able to do this if get it opened. I cannot understand why Volvo never installed the emergency release cable on all Volvo's over the world and not only in the USA. Ps. this all will happen after my full maintenance & service plan expired in December 2014 with the steering lock problems a couple months earlier with a safety feature where the vehicle will not start and had to be put on a low bed truck and taken to Volvo. R4000 ($400) later. Still loves this vehicle and my wife will only trade for newer V40 early next year.
AnthonyPutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 11:39   #8
Welton
Premier Member

I think when (or if) mine goes the same way I will expose the wires and solder/heatshrink them. You don't really need the new harness, it's just copper wire at the end of the day.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 14:37   #9
Wooders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I think when (or if) mine goes the same way I will expose the wires and solder/heatshrink them. You don't really need the new harness, it's just copper wire at the end of the day.
Upgrade to silicone wire?
Use it in RC cars,flexible and less prone to breakage.
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, boot lock assembly, lock, open, s40