Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

not starting problem

Views : 1591

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 20:23   #1
ovlov man

Bugger the mechanical woodpecker. The car has got thru MOT, now had a puncture and then this starting problem re-occurs! The 440 1.7 has an intermittent prob and won't start. Battery seems to have enough oomph. Lights are on and when I turn the ignition key nowt happens - can't hear anything either. If I put the car in 1st gear and rock her - with the ignition off - then try again, it tends to start. Not a constant problem, just every now and then. Just had annual service and garage said that they had checked the connections to the starter and greased them. Any thoughts please?

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 22:11   #2
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: not starting problem

Im no mechanical genius, but i had a problem identical to yours on my old 1.7, (although it didn't need rocking!), and i found it ti be a dodgy positive battery cable-just needed reconnecting as it had come loose. Perhaps you've already tried it, i don't know. Just an idea.

Dan M
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 18:37   #3
terrastudios

sounds like a dodgy ignition cable between the barrel and the engine?
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 20:29   #4
ovlov man

did not start tonight, wed, just heard a faint click from the engine bay. tried again - without rocking the car - and it started . will investigate weekend when it is daylightand I am at home!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 14:23   #5
Dave M

When the car turns over, how would you describe it, Fast? Slow? or what? My reason for asking is that it could be a Dodgy Starter i.e either worn brushes or a damaged commutator section, or a very dodgy Solonoid. I'd go with the latter as that's what was wrong with mine, replaced the solonoid and all was normal.

Try that and see what happens....

Regards
Dave M
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 18:35   #6
ovlov man

Turns over when starts with normal speed of engine starting and seem to be full battery power. Did it again tonight - but started without rocking - my arm muscles are getting very dtrong now ;-)
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 12:29   #7
ovlov man

Burger that for a game of soldiers! Spent his Sat morning on her. Been trying to find the starter motor and the solenoid on my 440 Volvo. Tis well hidden from above the engine bay and almost impossible to see. From below, using ramps, tis virtually as bad with an exhaust heat shield in the way plus other bits of plumbing and engine/steering/frame parts. Can easily tell that it's a Renault engine designed to use in the U.K.
Anyway have tried the religious approach. Sprayed it liberally with holy water (WD40) and pray that it will start each time. Have to take it to my local friendly grease monkey in the holidays methinks! Thanks for the help anyway folks.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 11:16   #8
Dave M

When you were underneath, did you check the connections to see if any were slack? You could always remove the connections, clean them and retighten, then stand back and fingers crossed, it should work!!! :-) :-)

Regards
Dave M
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 20:28   #9
440ovlovman

Gotta local gent from near Beverley who has a barnful of old Volvos to put a better starter motor/solenoid in. Cost £65 in all inc loan of car for the time being. Also did the front 2 doors central locking whihc was ify.

result - my car starts every time without a shobe. I am happy.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 20:48   #10
Rob W

May be worth just checking charge of battery with a voltmeter. The charge needs to be over 12 volts to start the engine. Should read between 12.5 and 13.5 ideally. I had the same problem with my volvo 440 1.7; lights on but no starting at a reading of 12.42 volts. If the battery has had non-distilled water added to the cells it may not hold its top-end of charge for as long as it should.