Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B18U lumpy idle fixed : ) and a mileage qustion

Views : 1545

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 20:37   #1
danmelluish

Default B18U lumpy idle fixed : ) and a mileage qustion

I've finally got my inlet manifold gasket replaced and the lumpy idle has now been fixed on my 440 (B18U engine). Thanks to Martin Cox for all the info and suggestions - sorry I couldn't reply to your post but I lost my forum password and couldn't get another until now!

For info it cost me £185 from my local Volvo dealer (Cambridge Garage in Havant). I've just done a basic service - new ignition parts, filters etc. and the car runs great. It's just hit 114500 miles and hopefully there are many more left in it! :D

Just a quick question - what sort of miles have people covered in their 440? I know the 240 series are renowned for handling high mileages - how does the 440 hold up?

Cheers,
Dan
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 11:26   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: B18U lumpy idle fixed : ) and a mileage qustion

Hi.

I have had 3 440s in my time and all had well over 100K on them when I got rid of them, and all were still going strong.
My last one, a 440 2.0i SE, had 157,000 on when I got rid of it and it was a corker!! Never used oil and still good on fuel economy.

Cheers,
Dan. (too) ;-)

Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 14:59   #3
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Dan,

I'm pleased to hear you managed to get it sorted out. After mine had been done, it completely transformed the running of the car and it's now running better than it has done for quite some time. My own 440 has covered about 103,000 miles without any major problems but I suspect rust will finally finish it off rather than any mechanical problems. Our V70 diesel tends to be used for most of the longer trips so the 440 isn't accumulating that many miles these days but I shall probably keep it until it finally dies.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:38   #4
danmelluish

Hi,

That's good to know - sounds like i've got a few miles to go yet! Mine doesn't use any oil (apart from the stuff oozing out of the rocker cover) and fuel economy is also good - usually around 38mpg which can't be bad!

Cheers,
Dan
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:43   #5
danmelluish

Hi Martin,

Same here - the car is so different! I wish i'd just got it done ages ago. My 440 does have a little rust around the wheel arches and the bottom of one door - seems to be quite a common problem. I'm contemplating bodging it a bit just to stop it spreading much further - although I did say that last summer!

Cheers,
Dan
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 14:06   #6
RitchieH

Hi chaps,
This is my first post on this forum.
Bought an M plate 440 a couple of months ago, basic 1.8 model. It has an absolutely awful idle, it stutters and shakes but runs fine with some throttle and is returning approx 40 MPG.

Could this fix here be the way to proceed or is there anything more obvious to check first? There does seem to be a slight blowing from the exhaust manifold area when under acceleration too.

I was thinking it may be worth renewing both the inlet and exhaust manifolds at the same time?

Are there any gotchas on these engines that anyone can think of? I would very likely do it myself with the help of Mr Haynes. What sort of time is this likely to take?

Any help much appreciated, sorry for all the questions but I'm new to Volvo ownership. Oh, other than that I am really happy with the car.

Cheers
Ritchie.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 21:22   #7
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Hi Ritche,

There are some cheap things that are worth eliminating first. There are some thin rubber hoses that go to the throttle body and these are prone to perishing. Then they leak air which upsets the idle. It's probably worth checking and replacing these if necessary first.

I merely had the gaskets replaced after replacing all those little rubber hoses made no difference. There was a time when I'd have done the job myself but my youthful enthusiasm for scraping my knuckles has abated somewhat.

Unless the manifolds have warped or are otherwise damaged, there's probably not much point in replacing them.

I'm told one way of checking is to run the engine at idle and trickle a little water over the manifold to cylinder head area before the engine warms up. The water may temporarily seal the leak resulting in improved running and you may hear the water being sucked in. Can't say Ive tried it myself.

I've seen the same thing be suggested using WD40 but WD40 is inflammable so water seems somewhat safer.

I don't think there are any particular pitfalls to the job apart from the usual ones of poor access, rusted nuts etc etc. I chickened out and had mine done but it was money well spent and the car has run beautifully ever since.

Hope this is of some help

Martin Cox
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 17:12   #8
RitchieH

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply, had a little chuckle at the knuckles comment. I know exactly what you mean!

Thats some great info, will do some investigating this weekend I think.

Cheers
Ritchie.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:45   #9
sandythecaddie
not so new member

re mileage, regular maintenance including bodywork should see you into high mileage numbers. mr haynes knows what he's talking about and will save you some money as well. i sold my last 440 with a full mot and 242,000 on the clock and it ran as sweet as a nut. cheers sandy
sandythecaddie is offline   Reply With Quote