Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen/Headlamp washers not working.

Views : 1603

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2008, 16:13   #1
AndyPants
VOC Member

Default Windscreen/Headlamp washers not working.

I've had my 460 off the road for about a month giving it a good service over the weekends when the weather hasn't been crap (so occasionally... ) and after finally getting the fuel filter swapped it was all running nicely.

But on the first trip to work the washers decided to stop working (were working when I set off) and now a week later they're still not working. I would have thought if they were merely frozen they might have unfrozen by now (even with the cold weather). The washer fluid is a mix of screenwash and water and I can hear the motor buzzing away but the best I'm getting is a slight pathetic dribble... and a very mucky windscreen.

Now I recently had a problem topping up the washer fluid in my 850 and it turned out there was a filter which got blocked preventing new fluid from going in. However with my 460 the tank is full but I was wondering whether again there is a filter somewhere that hopefully can be easily cleaned out and I won't have to keep pulling over using a bottle of water anymore! Although from looking at it I'm worried it might involve taking off the coolant expansion tank and unplugging loads of little pipes

So if anyones got any ideas I'd appreciate it And typically my 850s battery seems to have died too!
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 11:21   #2
B20F
Master Member

Maybe the squirters are blocked. You can remove them by pulling them off. To put them back on use a large screwdriver, stick it under the paravent to support the attachement from the underside and push them back on. Stick a needle in the small holes, or better use compressed air to free them up. Or else there's debris in the watertank. Not that difficult to remove and clean.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 21:45   #3
AndyPants
VOC Member

Only had a few minutes to mess with it today in the daylight, carefully prodded the holes with a needle which seems to helped very very slightly but still not working. Tried to pull one of the washer jets off like you said but it seemed pretty resistant (just using my fingers - might try pliers next time) a bit nervous if something went wrong as there seems to be almost no access beneath? If there are no filters in the system then hopefully its possible to wash any gunk out by removing the jets rather than taking everything apart especially as the Paynes manual appears to have neglected the washer resevoir (which is sat under the coolant exp tank and right next to the power steering fluid - pretty awkward looking!).

Thinking about it I do remember cleaning out some gunk in the washer resevoir which had set beneath the filling hole and typically a little escaped and sank which I suspect is probably what is causing the problem although it was fine afterwards. I wish I had just left it alone!
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 22:04   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

These washer jets seem easily broken, my 440 had them held on with blue tack, remove the wiper arms and trims, there's a clip to lock them in place.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 22:54   #5
AndyPants
VOC Member

Yes I think I read before on the 480 Club Europe website that the washer jets are easily broken although not too worried if I did as I read they only cost £2 or so each and I might be going to the garage anyway to buy a new battery for my 850.

Had a quick look in the haynes and removing the wipers sounds easy enough but didn't notice anything about removing the trim underneath (that covers under the windscreen) which I'm guessing its what your on about? Not sure how difficult that would be - will have a look tomorrow.

I might try using compressed air directed into the jets as mentioned by B20F although I'll probably still have to get the jets off anyway one way or another. If I get one off at least I'll have more idea where the blockage is. On the upside at least the rain has been cleaning my windscreen for me
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 20:01   #6
AndyPants
VOC Member

Woo success This time I could actually see some gunk in the washer jets and after removing the resevoir cap blew compressed air ( B20F) into each washer jet resulting in various bits of crap being blown back into the resevoir. Managed to get out some of the worst bits and will hopefully be ok for a short while at least. If not I'll probably use compressed air again or take out the jets by first removing the panel beneath as mentioned by NI_Volvo_Nut which I've now seen is just held on by several screws.

Only issue now is the headlamp washers are still bunged up but looking at them and then consulting Haynes looks like the little hose just pulls off (although again seemed hesitant when a gave it a little tug but I'll leave that till the weekend).
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 20:07   #7
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
Only issue now is the headlamp washers are still bunged up but looking at them and then consulting Haynes looks like the little hose just pulls off (although again seemed hesitant when a gave it a little tug but I'll leave that till the weekend).
Give the pipe a twist before tryin to pull it off, (again in true Volvo tradition, easy broken) handy enough, i had to do them on my 440 as well lol, there's also a one way valve that causes problems, think its behind the grill??

Aye, the wiper panel is held on with plastic screws, self explainarty when you look at it lol. Sometimes the wipers corrode onto the spindals, but a gentle wiggle and it should come off alright.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 22:00   #8
B20F
Master Member

Quote:
Most of the times this method works. Try warming the hose a little with a lighter carefully(!), only the part where it joints. Then first push and rotate and then pull while rotating.

Last edited by B20F; Dec 17th, 2008 at 22:03.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B20F For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:25   #9
ahal
Master Member

Smile Washer system

Hi all,

Yes those plastic screws bring back memories ... chocolate teapot variety. I just bolted the panel back on and painted the bolt - heads black. The gromit / screw affair fittings are cheap from Volvo, but I presume they need to be fitted with a jelly screwdriver.

I've been having the same problem with the jets again lately, the de-gunking suggestion seems a good one. The water appears to be flowing fine everywhere except through the jets / headlamp wipers. There's a pretty elaborate 'junction' at the front where the water divides from one headlamp to the other ... might be worth checking that the pipe isn't being 'pinched' by anything if you've been doing work there ( like replacing a headlamp etc )

Always worth checking the alignment of the windscreen jets afterwards. I remember the last time I removed / refitted them, I sprayed an unsuspecting cyclist one evening ....

Good luck,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahal For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 21:47   #10
AndyPants
VOC Member

Thanks for the responses Will have 'fun' doing it at the weekend. If I can't get the hose off easily via twisting I'll try warming it with a hair dryer which sounds a bit safer than a lighter.

Mmm plastic screws, had enough fun with the plastic radiator drain plug on the 850, thought I'd just tighten it up with allen key/spanner didn't tighten any more just snapped oops! Replacement only cost a couple of quid though.

I think the haynes manual mentions a T-shaped junction like you mention, but if I get the hoses off at the headlights hopefully I can just air compress all the crap through.

I think my washers packed in as a result of me accidently spraying an old guy at the side of road when I was driving into the sun... bad karma