Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2004 Classic 1.6 petrol: fuel gauge issue

Views : 566

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2023, 15:57   #1
Ashash

Default S40 2004 Classic 1.6 petrol: fuel gauge issue

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me? After switching from a full tank of E5 fuel to E10 from Esso rather than Texaco, my 2004 old shape, s40 Classic started whet I can only describe as ‘pulling’ & a feeling like it may stall when driving. I put in some fuel cleaner and it improved for 1 journey, but returned to the same behaviour v soon after. My fuel gauge then went from half full to empty & gave me a panic! It repeated strange behaviour of misreading fuel levels intermittently, sometimes returning to normal after a few restarts. I have had the fuel tank dropped, the sender unit (pump) replaced, reassembled and checked for leaks. The fuel gauge still behaved oddly. Not long after this a swine tried to steal my catalytic converter, got distributed & left me with a v noisy car & I had to have a new catalytic converter, centre and rear box as a result. My engine light has been on ever since. My fuel gauge doesn’t work at all & is permanently in empty & warning light. The car still does the strange ‘pulling’ & ‘I may stall’ actions, which especially happens when it has a full tank (as before), On the last 4 journeys it hasn’t pulled or stuttered & I’m assuming it’s because the amount of fuel is low (no idea how much fuel I have as I have done 185 miles since filling it up). It does rev slightly when idle, but it’s only done this twice & it wasn’t a major over rev. I have no idea what to ask my local garage to look for! Any help gratefully received!
Ashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 18:23   #2
Ashash

No need to reply anyone. Just been told it’s not worth my while getting it MOT’d due to rust underneath & it needing 3 new tyres, fuel tank, hose clips, suspension arm, link arm which = £513 + VAT + MOT & it would need front brake discs & pads changing on top of that and he would have to axle grind them as the bolts are so rusted. Gutted as the body isn’t rusted & it’s a winter-pack Classic end of the 2nd version model, packed with leather in the doors as well as the seats, steering wheel, gear knob etc. it had only done 50,000 miles in its 19yrs too. The garage reckons I will get £300 for scrap. Put £15 super unleaded in yesterday (just in case) & balmed all the leather: I could cry! It will probably be the last Volvo in our family, despite having them since the early 1970s…simply can’t afford a 2nd hand car let alone a 2nd hand Volvo & too wary of scams these days!
Ashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 21:31   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Reality check:

So it is likely to cost £650 to get through the mot. Have you got £650 to spend? I understand the reluctance/inability to purchase another second hand car, but what would life be like without one? Can you comfortably manage without or is having a car 'a nice thing to have'.

If the answer is, life would be difficult without or not as comfortable, I would spend the money on keeping it on the road if possible.

Your mechanic will look at it from the point of view that the car is worth £300 why would you spend £650 on it.

If I was looking at it, I would consider the value to me to keep it on the road. Given that it is unlikely to be sold in the next 12 months - if that was the case - would mean the resale value is irrelevant.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel gauge