Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3D printed ignition key for my 1800

Views : 4258

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2014, 04:14   #1
Kauai1800

Default 3D printed ignition key for my 1800

I'm looking into scanning and 3D printing a copy of my just-about-to-break-off aluminum key for my '64 1800. I already have had several items printed in stainless steel by shapeways and was happy with the results. I've contacted a firm to do the scan of the key. I'll keep you apprised of how things go. For all I know it might be too thin to print properly.

I googled and didn't see anyone who had done this exact thing yet (3D print an rare car key) but it seems like it might solve my problem. I'm guessing it will cost ~ $30 for scan and ~$50 to print. I have now tried 3 different places that sell "exact replacement" keys for my thin aluminum original keys, but none have fit the ignition properly. I know I can either replace the ignition or put in a switch but I like to stay as original as possible.

Wish me luck! If this works it could be a good solution for lots of folks.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 13:36   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

None of the original keys were made from "aluminum" but either brass or steel. Blanks aren't hard to find and even being where you are shouldn't make getting some difficult. Cutting a new key from a worn original can sometimes be a problem so finding a good, patient cutter is sometimes needed.
Do you have an ASSA switch? Keys for those were originally brass.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 20:40   #3
Kauai1800

Aloha Derek-

Thanks for that useful info.

However my keys are definitely made from aluminum - they say COLE NATIONAL so they are not the originals I guess. They are old looking. Each time I crank the car I say a little prayer...the metal is literally like a can pull top.

I do have an ASSA ignition...can you or someone tell me the code for the key blank that should fit? It's a 1964 Chassis #9217.

I'll then go to a proper locksmith and have it cut.

Really appreciate the help...I've looked all through the forum and never found the exact info I needed. Most people just replace the ignition and be done with it!
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 21:52   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

maybe worth a little guide being made to explain how to determine the ignition barrel type fitted to our car then beside each type the key codes or makes that will go with each barrel ....

so a picture of each then next to it a list of key types and also well known suppliers to source them from if peeps are having trouble locating them to assist in fixing issues like this ? does that sound like a good idea ?

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 22:30   #5
Lucien
VOC Member

The other trick is to wire up a starter switch on the dash so that you only need insert the key and turn to position 2 rather than having to turn the key against the resistance to position 3. It's quite straightforward.

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 12:49   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Please excuse my scribble! As always with keys, make sure the blank matches before you get it cut. I think these numbers check out OK, I've had some cut and the ones shown are my current keys. Did get caught out recently and had 2 Silca NE31 cut for my Estate but although thet work they are too long and don't have the tab that should do the actual turning of the lock. Not having this tab increases the risk of cracking. The Neiman/Taylor key is brass. Steel blanks are preferred but this brass one seems to be surviving well. Check your keys for cracks and replace NOW if starting to show any at all. My local Key guy / Cobbler seems to have what I want on his rack but had to order in a few more when I wanted 10 blanks for Chris, Agent Stangelove. No problem though. He has several books for checking. Cheaper than eBay!

These 4 are Neiman copy blanks Silca - NE10 Steel, as sent to Chris.

Waso fuel cap blanks. "Keyosk" WS11, Orion W691, Silca SIL-WAS5, Borkey 1022.

1800 Fuel cap door. Wilmott Breedon oblong head FS e.g. 891, Round head FP e.g. 681

Please check your keys and post any makes and codes for both types of lock. There are at least 2 other types but these are rare.

Kauai1800 - If you are desperate, PM me your address and I will send you the ASSA blank shown in the picture, I have a couple.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:

Tags
ignition, ignition key