Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Mods

Views : 6508

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2018, 16:08   #1
VX280

Thumbs up V50 Mods

Hi

I've had a quick search for some of the info I'm about to ask but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so apologies if I'm repeating some annoying questions!!

I want to change my rims to 10 some black gloss ones. I believe the PCD is 108 with 5 studs but what is the centre bore diameter amd the required offset zo the new ones fit correctly? I've also been told Ford fitment rims will also fit. Is this correct?

I would like to replace the front bumper with an R Design bumper/splitter. Is this a straight swap or a bit more involved.

I'd also like to change the front grille. Is there a website that shows different options?

Headlights. Is it an easy swap to change to xenon headlights or am I better just upgrading my bulbs?

Thanks in advance for you help 👍
VX280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 16:30   #2
btjtaylor

Is your car facelifted, (does the rear light cluster have a "circle" in it or not?) If it is a facelift the R-design bumper should be a straight swap, if not it's more involved (different headlights, grills, etc)

Front grille I believe any facelift S40/V50 grille will work with a facelift bumper. On a pre-facelift car fitting the S40 "eggcrate" grille is a common upgrade.

I read up on fitting the factory Xenons and it seems like a bit of a minefield, I found a few articles on this topic

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261883

Also someone who took the factory lights apart and fitted HID bulbs, unfortunately the images are gone

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262911

The stock lights are pretty rubbish, I've ordered some Osram nightbreakers for mine to see how I get on. If not i'll likely be exploring the HID options myself.

Not sure about the rims myself as personally I stick to OEM designs, but this site looks useful if you trust it! https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/v50/

Last edited by btjtaylor; Aug 13th, 2018 at 16:33.
btjtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 16:33   #3
Petey80
Premier Member

Post a picture of your car and we could give you more advice.

See my progress thread [link in my signature below] to see what I've done to mine.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 18:29   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX280 View Post
Headlights. Is it an easy swap to change to xenon headlights or am I better just upgrading my bulbs?

Headlamp upgrade - its a topic as wide as a river. There is no "easy" swap, depending what you want to achieve it can be messy or less messy

Have a look on the forum ref headlights - you will find a lot of topics.
Also - have a look at my D2S mod (link in my sig) will give you example of one approach to the subject.
To give you an answer in a pill:
- it is NOT possible to retrofit xenon headlamps from xenon-equipped model (connectors, lack of levelling, differentxenon modules etc)
- it IS possible to retrofit H7 HIDs but there is a huge risk of wiper module fail if done incorrectly. You need to prepare the car for this to avoid issues.
- it is also possible to retrofit better projectors with proper D2S bulbs (thats what I did on my 2nd mod) to achieve best possible results. Its pretty easy on our lights due to its easy-out and open structure. but again - to avoid WMM issue you must do a proper homework (read about DRL disable and SKBOWE).

In any case above, you will be technically illegal and car may fail MOT, just to be clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:25   #5
VX280

Talking

Thanks all so far

Mines a 2008 lux version. I've got a couple of images so once i sort out how to upload them I'll put them up

Think I'll steer clean of the headlight mods for a while but thanks for the advice 👍

If it's straightforward I'll go for the bumper swap and grill change 😁

Once I've had confirmation about the rims I'll start looking once I know the offset & rim width.

Thanks all
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 10:25   #6
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Just buy a DECENT set of H7 xenons if you want xenons, none of this eBay tosh.

Had my Stealth kit from HIDS4U in for nearly 2 years now, same bulbs (DRL disabled but leave lights on all the time anyway) and no issues with wipers/auto wipers.

I did question them before buying and they were aware of the issues that they used to cause with certain modules on certain cars and state that theirs have been designed to prevent failure.

I live near their HQ and have been in before, nice bunch so I'll take their word for it.

NOTE : Under new MOT rules you WILL fail an MOT for having them in, even if they line up correctly and don't blind anyone so always worth putting the H7's back in prior to it. Thankfully it's all of 5 minutes to swap them

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:27.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 23:34   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Personally I wouldn't bother with HID's unless you've got the SKBOWE PWM filter units running alongside them.

It's a gamble that has been ok for some people, but a huge pain for others, me being one of them.

About 3 months after installation, both of my HID bulbs suddenly just started flickering and then simultaneously died. "Power system service urgent". I was very fortunate that it did this about 2 minutes away from joining an unlit stretch of Motorway, during heavy rain.

Uninstalling that failed HID kit at the side of the road, at night, in the rain and miles from home was lesson enough for me to stick with Halogens onwards of that.

Perhaps higher quality HID kits last longer when installed in P1 cars, but it's not a risk I'd want to take again without the HIDs running through SKBOWE PWM filters.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 23:19   #8
VX280

Thanks all for your replies. Another question please. I've found a set of wheels (see below) but with a offset of 40. Will these fit ok or is the offset not enough? Thanks again.

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...nt-rear=17x7.0