Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 Volvo XC70 in Crash Mode?

Views : 2409

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 03:24   #1
Hillkidstr

Default 2016 Volvo XC70 in Crash Mode?

I've had a little accident in my XC70 and mounted a kerb at speed due to swerving to avoid an accident when I mounted the kerb the car shut of, the front wheel has popped the tyre I swapped the tyre for the spare and then tried to start the car but it appears its stuck in crash mode showing a red warning triangle and wont start. I looked everywhere for the fuel cut of switch thinking it might of triggered but I can't find one but after a bit of googling it appears that I need to reset crash mode on a diagnostic machine to allow the fuel pump to work again? Is VIDA Dice capable of doing this on a 2016 XC70 D5? As I can't find any information with regards to what year vehicles it works on? No airbags have deployed so unsure why it wont let me start the engine. Any help much appreciated.
Hillkidstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 11:26   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillkidstr View Post
I've had a little accident in my XC70 and mounted a kerb at speed due to swerving to avoid an accident when I mounted the kerb the car shut of, the front wheel has popped the tyre I swapped the tyre for the spare and then tried to start the car but it appears its stuck in crash mode showing a red warning triangle and wont start. I looked everywhere for the fuel cut of switch thinking it might of triggered but I can't find one but after a bit of googling it appears that I need to reset crash mode on a diagnostic machine to allow the fuel pump to work again? Is VIDA Dice capable of doing this on a 2016 XC70 D5? As I can't find any information with regards to what year vehicles it works on? No airbags have deployed so unsure why it wont let me start the engine. Any help much appreciated.
your vida will only work up to 2015 models , yes it needs resetting by a dealer with the latest vida.. he will check the car over for damage of course , that is the point of the exercise … so a tow job I guess...
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:09   #3
Hillkidstr

Hi thanks for that wasn't sure what year the diagnostics went up to would another diagnostics machine such as a snap on be able to reset it that my local garage has? Just trying to avoid the main dealer as think it's going to cost me a fortune for a simple reset.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:15   #4
Hillkidstr

Is it set in stone that it only works up to 2015? As just wondering since it is just the reg as the car it's self is the same as a 2015 but registered march 2016 and then they where discontinued would it still work?
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:19   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillkidstr View Post
Is it set in stone that it only works up to 2015? As just wondering since it is just the reg as the car it's self is the same as a 2015 but registered march 2016 and then they where discontinued would it still work?
It goes by model year , only 2015 will be recognised not 2016 model year .
It is highly likely nothing else will reset the crash sensor , because it is designed to stay on until the car is checked over by a volvo workshop then they would reset the crash sensor . They should not charge more than 18 minutes labour to reset it ...
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:55   #6
Hillkidstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It goes by model year , only 2015 will be recognised not 2016 model year .
It is highly likely nothing else will reset the crash sensor , because it is designed to stay on until the car is checked over by a volvo workshop then they would reset the crash sensor . They should not charge more than 18 minutes labour to reset it ...
I will ring my local volvo dealer and get a price thanks for all of your help I will update with the outcome.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 12:14   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
...it is designed to stay on until the car is checked over by a volvo workshop then they would reset the crash sensor . They should not charge more than 18 minutes labour to reset it ...
That's smacks of being a bit naughty... restrictive practice and all that... thought that was illegal...its probably not, but then what prevents a manufacturer in the future disabling a vehicle because they "the dealer network" have not serviced it, and only they have the hardware/software to allow the car to be started???

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 12:22   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
That's smacks of being a bit naughty... restrictive practice and all that... thought that was illegal...its probably not, but then what prevents a manufacturer in the future disabling a vehicle because they "the dealer network" have not serviced it, and only they have the hardware/software to allow the car to be started???

Cheers
Bob
Really? If you have had an accident harsh enough to deploy the safety systems don't you think it right that the car is checked over to prevent killing someone else on the road by a wheel falling off for example ?
This has always been the case with volvo that the system has to be reset , It must be the case with other manufacturers too , I daresay its a law ..
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 09:08   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Really? If you have had an accident harsh enough to deploy the safety systems don't you think it right that the car is checked over to prevent killing someone else on the road by a wheel falling off for example ?
This has always been the case with volvo that the system has to be reset , It must be the case with other manufacturers too , I daresay its a law ..
I have no objection to the car being check over to make sure its safe, just the assertion that the ONLY people who are capable of doing said task work at a Volvo franchise, as they are the only people with equipment that will allow the car to move again - no choice...hence my original comment "..it smacks of being a bit naughty.."

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 20:49   #10
Hillkidstr

All sorted the computer was reset and its all working now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillkidstr For This Useful Post: