Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Typical!

Views : 433

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:03   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Typical!

Last week the guy over the road advised me to move my 164 and my sons 740 down the road a bit as a skip lorry was due to remove his full one a couple of days ago. He got no joy from whoever has parked a newish minibus opposite his place though......

So today at 8 two lorries arrive opposite and park - dead opposite my cars, to remove the scaffolding around his house. Despite both being two-wheels up the pavement, the gap is seriously reduced - and they didn't even knock to ask if I could move down the road a bit. Just then I glance out - and see both my cars are now mirrorless, the 740 door glass being shattered but the plastic just knocked, but the 164 wing mirror completely sheared off - the smashed head was in the gutter a few feet along. Of course, nobody admitted to it and the scaffold guys didn't hear anything......

The quandary - do I claim off the (combined) insurance or do I just grin and bear it? Got to go to the shops now - I wonder if the wings will be graunched when I get back?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:42   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I certainly feel your pain, but unfortunately sh*t happens. From how I read your posting - your cars are parked on one side of the street and then the scaffolders come along and park opposite, thus reducing the width of the street for passing vehicles. Most likely someone has driven down the street, misjudged the gap and taken your mirrors off and continued on their way. Most probably the scaffolders or anyone else for that matter would be totally unaware of what has happened.

With regards to repairs: I would just get on and sort it myself. By the time you have gone through your insurance companies, paid the excess and have a claim lodged against the two policies, it would be less hassle and probably cheaper to sort yourself.

Hope you can get them sorted without too much hassle.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:11   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Thanks ITS - back from shops and wings undamaged thank God. Yes - went to Halfrauds who quote about £26 for a new glass for the 740, but will measure the 164 wing mirror to search the 'net. As you say, after photographing in case I do need a claim I'll just have to grin and bear it.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 13:20   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Feel the pain, the road outside our house is a main distributor road for the estate and many people seem to be in a terrible hurry, I normally park in our front garden but on the occassion that I left the V70 on the road the mirror got whacked, fortunately not broken.
If it's just a flat mirror I got more joy (and change in my pocket) by going to a local glazing firm and getting them to cut me a mirror, Halfords could only sell me a convex one which was wrong for the car I had at the time.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 15:43   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Our road is pretty narrow and there's parking on one side of it double yellows on my side.Before I got my rented lock up garage[about half mile away from home and I've no off road parking]and parked on the road I had 3 door mirrors wiped off my Omega and recently when the V70 was parked on the road the mirror was hit and the glass broken[the housing survived] this is due to people not giving way to oncoming traffic and trying to fit through a gap that simply isn't wide enough.Council won't turn the road into a one way and council/landlord won't give those of us on this side of the road off road parking.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 16:09   #6
cbee
VOC Member

When I smashed the mirror glass in my VW Transporter I went on ebay and found one from a chap in Redruth Cornwall for £11.48 post paid.

He trades under the name fivestarparts 2010. He has a vast selection and mine arrived within two days. I think Halfords was around the £25 mark.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 17:36   #7
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
this is due to people not giving way to oncoming traffic and trying to fit through a gap that simply isn't wide enough.
The problem is just as much to do with people buying larger and larger cars while roads aren't getting any wider...

My Morris Minor is a full 13 inches narrower than my colleague's Audi A4, before you even take the mirrors into account...
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: