Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking assist service required

Views : 861

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:15   #1
Hank3944

Default Parking assist service required

Hi guys, what is the cheapest diy fix for this, currently not working/beeping. Do you have to have a diagnostics to determine which sensor is duff. Could it be something apart from the sensor? What is the concencus regarding oem sensors vs aftermarket? Buy cheap buy twice? Thanks
Hank3944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:40   #2
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Search on the forum and you will find this has been asked before and there are various suggestions on how to diagnose the problem.

I seem to remember someone found a Jaguar or Land Rover sensor which was the same item as Volvo use but at a much better price.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 13:02   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Whilst VIDA will tell you which sensor is bad you can also do the following:

Is the problem only present in wet weatehr or all the time?
If wet weather, then it is caused by water seeping into the space between sensor and bumper
Solution: keep dry, or apply repair as per Volvo service bulletin which I read once. This involves removing and refitting and sealling the sensor to the housing

Is the problem present all the time?
With care you can hear / feel which sensor is pulsing
If lucky, you can then identify the non pulsing sensor and replace just that one.

Otherwise, find a friend or forum member with Volvo VIDA who can diagnose and advise which sensor is the faulty sensor
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 13:11   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

As has been said, do a search on here for lots of info on rear parking sensor problems.

Valeo JLR sensors are suitable if you get the exact correct one and are indeed cheaper than buying from a Volvo dealer. From my own past experience the cheaper chinese copy ones from Ebay are also fine as long as you replace the whole set of four.

Assuming the park assist module in the boot and the loom in the bumper are both OK, the chinese copy sensors work fine but don't replace just one as they will not work as a compatible set with your remaining OE ones. Removing the rear bumper and dismantling it to get at the sensors is fiddly and time consuming, hence why you only want to do it once!

Somewhere on the forum somebody posted a brilliant step by step guide with photos which I followed when I did the job.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 13:56   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

The fault is not always with a sensor. The wiring loom is also prone to water ingress which can cause a short/open. The DTCs will help identify the issue.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 19:37   #6
Hank3944

So basically then a second hand tested sensor loom, 4 x new valeo sensors and for under £100 i have all bases covered and only have to take the bumper off once? What number is the fuse for the sensors?
Hank3944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 20:03   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
what number is the fuse for the sensors?
rem f26
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 21:21   #8
JADXC

Hi,
i have a problem with the sensors as well but i haven't found an answer yet.
I read the fault vith Vida and "sensor 2 faulty", the sistem was inactive and the error displayed in the dash.

I replaced the faulty sensor with a aftermarket one and when i testet it i put the ignition on without starting the engine, the beep just fine, error gone, system active.

That changes when the engine is on, it beeps continously, but no errors, system active, all good.
Engine off, it beeps normal....
The battery is new, the alternator have been checked when battery was replaced, everything ok there.

What could cause this behavior?
Best regards.
JADXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 05:01   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Problem likely due to mixed sensor brands

Replace all 4 with same brand.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 14:12   #10
JADXC

Hi
But having only the ignition on without starting the engine they work fine mixed brands.
i wonder what is the difference between engine on or off, there should be none.
JADXC is offline   Reply With Quote