Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motor holiday to France

Views : 3394

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 07:41   #31
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignumGB View Post
Hi,

I am travelling to North West France in the car later in the year for 2 weeks of holiday. We will be taking the ferry over. Any hints/tips? Ie, no Union Jack stickers on the back of the car as I hear Frenchie don't like our flag much and don't want my Volvo keyed/damaged. How are the motorway tolls (Brittany)?

Cheers

If you use MAPPY (available free on the internet)and put from / to destinations in for France it will show you the routes and the Toll charges. Very handy. When choosing vehicle make sure you select Car and NOT Carpool.

https://en.mappy.com/itineraire#/0/M...1,54.7684/Z11/

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 08:55   #32
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpms View Post
You'll find toll info (in English) at autoroutes.fr : just enter your route details.
Otherwise, my main recommendation now would be to watch very carefully the information available from the UK and French governments in the event of a no-deal Brexit (sorry to mention the B-word!). It is likely that you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK licence. Check your insurance cover carefully with your insurer. If you plan on taking a pet, the current PETS scheme may be suspended if there is no deal, and new arrangements will apply, at least temporarily.
Please accept this advice in the spirit it is given, i.e. to help you enjoy a trouble-free trip by taking a few sensible precautions. I have lived outside the UK for 25 years and have no wish to engage in a political discussion.
I haven't been to France for a few years now, but when I did ,which was quite frequently,I never received anything but kindness from Messieurs-Dames,I have always worked on the 'treat others as you hope they will treat you' and have not been disappointed over the years' So have things changed? Because of 'The pending divorce?' I do hope not! what do you other Francophiles think/find?

Regards,Keith,
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:28   #33
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
I haven't been to France for a few years now, but when I did ,which was quite frequently,I never received anything but kindness from Messieurs-Dames,I have always worked on the 'treat others as you hope they will treat you' and have not been disappointed over the years' So have things changed? Because of 'The pending divorce?' I do hope not! what do you other Francophiles think/find?

Regards,Keith,

Couldn't agree more Keith.

We have driven to the South of France each year for the last 22 years and I also go frequently on my motorbike. Off to the Alps on it this year.

Never had the slightest problem.

In addition we have done a couple of courses at College for French and that helped enormously.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:50   #34
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
Ye'll be welcomed with a Saltire.

Have great time.
Absolutely, I go to France quite a lot and I have often had a grumpy attitude which very quickly changes when I mention eccosse.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 21:55   #35
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

All accessories acquired. Just need to wait til June now!

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 22:50   #36
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

tell me about it..
whole week now as i`m looking for half decent tent-accepting camping either south or southern part of west coast of france..

and its always same.. either the place is crap, or charges charges charges..

i mean- come on.. 800 euros for TENT for 10 nights?!?!
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 06:28   #37
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
tell me about it..
whole week now as i`m looking for half decent tent-accepting camping either south or southern part of west coast of france..

and its always same.. either the place is crap, or charges charges charges..

i mean- come on.. 800 euros for TENT for 10 nights?!?!
How many people in the tent Thomas?
Many camp sites charge per person per night even in Britain.
I pay £30 a night for the 2 of us inthe caravan in scotland and certainly do not get the weather of southern France, other than the water drainage and electric am self sufficient, however I appreciate all the facilities have to be provided and paid for wether I use them or not.
Club sites locally are £15 for the 2 of us a night and you have to be self sufficient as all they have is water tap and chemical disposal point.

800€ is about £450 you will pay more in Britain high season and not have the weather. That's the capatalists system for you, everyone is making hay while the sun shines.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:54   #38
Billggski

Just back from a fortnight in the alps. No problems, the French are more concerned about their gilet jaune than our daft decision to ruin our economy.
Get an ACSI card for camping, cheap rates in low season and the whole country is geared up for camping/caravanning, far more than over hete.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:56   #39
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quite... Good point, actually..

Thinking back, and taking into account that it would be only my 4th camping excursion..

I've been to West Wittering..
Bugger all (shower+small washing area, no electrics) for £50 a night.

I've been to saint palace sur mer (electric pitch, showers dirtish, cold washing, big pool with slides) 2 years ago for roughly 50eur/night..

Been to farm camping in lake district (showers in barn, coin operated, electrics, apart from that bugger all, but the kindest owner I've met) £12 per night. Total £12 per night.

Now I could go to the same spot in saint palace, but I remember village yobs jumping on water slides in the middle of the night, security lads who couldn't care less, frequently broken gates(by yobs) etc..

Or..
There's another one nearby, used to have good notes, but since people (mostly English, too) were coming back year after year, owners have list the edge.. Pool lifeguard is gone, groups of youngsters roam the site day and night (English ones for a change), there even was a case of some heavily tattooed fat-ball going down kids waterslide, hitting and nearly drowning a lil girl and then.. Giving her bollocking for getting in his way!

That for eur60 a night?

Got pretty much 3 options left.

Bugger all for eur50/night next to Cannes, not even a pool.
Water park with all possible amenities for about eur70 near ile d'Oleron- full of angry mozzies...
Or another water park nearby, but I'm waiting for confirmation do they still accept tents. Seems to be some 300 mobile homes now..

Oh, and that's counted on 3 of us- me, wife, 9yo daughter.

So maybe prices aren't that bad after all. But finding a decent place isnt easy.

Last edited by ThomasG; Feb 18th, 2019 at 08:59.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:57   #40
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
Just back from a fortnight in the alps. No problems, the French are more concerned about their gilet jaune than our daft decision to ruin our economy.
Get an ACSI card for camping, cheap rates in low season and the whole country is geared up for camping/caravanning, far more than over hete.
Off peak not possible.

Daughter=school