Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: How to change/adjust timing belt

Views : 25599

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 05:17   #1
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool Guide: How to change/adjust timing belt

For Volvo S40 1.9 TD Sport 2003 with Renault engine

For those who don't have a VADIS. If you have, all information can be found there.

Before you do that. Don't hold me responsible of you mess up something, do that on your own risk. If you time it wrong it could lead to catastrophic engine failure.

About Guide, first pictures shows how it should look like when its correct.
Then fallowed how to remove/install the timing belt.
Then fallowed by my guide how to set timing correctly if, for some reason, belt isn't attached or it has jumped over those grooves on pulleys.
I am not 100% sure if you need to time oil pump as well.

So then.

This is how it should look like from the bottom. Pulley on the left is belt tensioner, pulley on the right is water pump.

This is called TDC(Top Dead Centre)

You can use spanner and turn bottom crankshaft pulley(use the bolt to move the timing belt, gear lever/stick should be in neutral position so that gearbox doesn't engage) clockwise or you can turn it by camshaft pulley until you rotate it to TDC. <--sounds complicated but its not.

I didn't make pictures how I removed timing belt cover, but its easy enough to find few bolts that holds that cover.

Things you will need, Axle stands, car jack, some spanners, timing belt itself or with tensioners(as a timing belt kit) and plenty of time.
So then
1. Remove the engine cover(if you have one)
2. Jack up the car and put on axle stands(for your own safety and for better access to timing belt)
3. Remove driver's side front wheel and turn steering wheel fully right.
4. Remove plastic covers closer to engine itself( if there is any)
5. Remove ECU, there's 2 bolts that are easier to access from underneath the car, then remove 2 top bolts(marked as green squares) from engine bay.

6. Use spanner and push it downwards(clockwise) to release auxiliary belt tensioner(marked red) and remove belt.

7. Using spanner turn the engine(clockwise) so that TDC is marked where it should be.(Second image from the top)
8. To unscrew crank shaft pulley bolt, you might need to insert locking pin into a crankshaft itself, so that crankshaft and camshaft won't move when you unscrew or tighten crankshaft pulley.
I won't type all those instructions, because its all on the paper anyway, make sure you read it and understand it.

This basically covers most of the things.
Set TDC and mark camshaft, diesel pump marks as show in picture.
9. Remove Crankshaft pulley.
10. To remove timing belt cover and belt itself you have to remove one of the engine mounts. It will look like this. Don't worry, engine is secured with another 2 mounting brackets( 3 in total)

For more space remove the whole unit, locations of the bolts are shown in image No. 5 (marked red)

There comes some options.

2.0 If you are just changing timing belt itself(with/without changing pulleys)
3.0 if you are adjusting timing.

2.1 So you just marked timing belt TDC for camshaft and diesel pump as show in pictures No. 7
2.2 Take spanner and loosen belt tennsioner

it moves up & down or from left to right( depends from which angle you are looking at it) when it's loosen.

2.3 Using your fingers remove timing belt from crankshaft pulley by sliding it slowly towards yourself(if you are standing by the right side of the car).
If it's not moving well, remove it completely from belt tensioner first, then from diesel/petrol pump and crankshaft pulley.

2.4 Just remove timing belt and swap it with new one(or change pulleys as well, once you have removed engine mounting bracket, there should be enough space for tools and your hands)

2.5 Make sure that only thing that could move easily should be the diesel pump and belt tensioner. If you are not changing pulleys, make sure they are spinning freely and that there is no loose movement in them, only good movement is if they are spinning clockwise or anti clockwise. If there is some other movement, change pulleys as well.

2.6 New timing belt installation in order: Crankshaft pulley, Water pump, diesel pump, camshaft pulley and belt tensioner as a last one.

2.7 Make sure that crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley doesn't move when you are installing timing belt on the pulleys. When its installed check if the TDC is still in the same position as it was before you removed timing belt OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!!!!

2.8 Use extra spanner to adjust tensioner, you shouldn't be able to tilt timing belt more than 40-45 degrees, If you can, adjust tensioner strength even more so that the belt is not loose between camshaft pulley and diesel pump.
When you have finished tightening belt tensioner, install crankshaft pulley and make sure that bolt is tighten very tight.

2.9 Put back on that engine mount that you removed, make sure all the bolts are tight. Suggestion: Don't put on the timing belt cover just yet, you might need to adjust timing later on.

2.10 Very Important: Use the spanner to turn the engine over at least 2 times, if there is no significant resistance when you are turning the engine then its ok, but if you can't do that and its feels like it's stuck, you probably messed up and camshaft or crankshaft pulley has moved when you installed/or tightened timing belt tensioner.
NOTE: Double check If you have removed locking pin and screwed that bolt back in place. If you haven't removed that pin you won't be able to turn over the engine!!!

2.11 Install auxiliary belt.

2.12 If everything looks ok start the engine. Get someone to look at the both belts and if something doesn't looks right tell him to shout to switch off the engine. I forgot to tighten crankshaft pulley bolt, so after about 5 seconds when the engine was running that pulley came almost off...... luckily I noticed that battery warning light come on the dashboard, so I switched off the engine..

2.13 When you are satisfied with your work and timing is all right you can remove engine mount and install timing belt cover, and put all things back together.

This covers timing belt change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjusting timing.

If for some reason your engine sounds like this
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

You need to adjust timing itself, after that it should sound even better than this ( I changed oil as well, it was Mobil 1 0W..for turbo diesel engines)
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

last video wasn't mine.

This is mostly for those who installed timing belt themselves.
If you can hear that metallic sound, you need to adjust timing.

This worked for me.

So then

3.1 Turn engine to TDC like in second image from the top.

3.2 Slacken off/unscrew belt tensioner and remove timing belt from Camshaft pulley.

here it comes....

3.3 Use the spanner to move camshaft pulley fully to the left and mark TDC positions on the metal just behind camshaft pulley. When you have marked that position, turn the camshaft pulley fully to the right and mark TDC position again(it should be where it supposed to be, but if it is not then mark it.

In picture looks like this

Explanation: Those two red lines represents how much I can move camshaft pulley till it stops(until it hits piston heads), its actually 1cm on each side, margin of error is about 0.5cm
From one red line to another is 2cm.

In my case that carrot colour is the best position for my timing, because engine doesn't make that metallic sound from the first video.

You might need to find you own best configuration for this.

I will use my picture as guide.

How to adjust timing?

3.3 To perfectly adjust timing in the middle you must move camshaft pulley and diesel pump DTC's very slightly to the right(clockwise) no more than fraction, no more than 0.2-0.4cm
Its because when you tighten timing belt pulley, belt will move slightly to the right(counter clockwise) that's why you have to compensate that.

3.4 When you have tightened timing belt pulley, turn the engine over at least twice, if there is no significant resistance, start the engine and listen for any metallic noises or irregularities in idle, if your timing is completely wrong engine wont work, ether to bent rods or valves or just bad timing.
If you are not satisfied with that sound you can move that TDC slightly to the left or right..

3.5 Anyway, this is how it should look

3.6 don't forget to screw all things back together.

Notes/Important:
When you are using crankshaft locking pin, make sure it fits and that you have put that in right hole. When you insert that pin, you shouldn't be able to move crankshaft at all, if you can then pin is not in right hole.

make sure that locking pin is from strong material(not aluminium or other soft metal)..... mine broke... I had to remove sump so that I can remove that broken of peace... I wasn't happy....

Its nothing hard actually, I was scared to do anything with timing, now when I know how its done, I will change timing belts to all my cars Except 3rd car from now, which will be an electric one

And that's about it.

Original thread here.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Apr 12th, 2011 at 02:52.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post: