Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is my Alternator on the way out

Views : 983

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2014, 19:55   #1
Derbyman

Default Is my Alternator on the way out

Now the nights are darker I have spotted that the red ignition light glows very dimly when I have the fan on. When I turn the fan off it goes out, the intensity of the glow gets brighter if I put the fan on fast and goes dimmer when I put it on slow. Is this a wiring problem or is the alternator on its way out and not charging the battery?

Would like to resolve the problem as I use the car everyday and really need the blower.
Derbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 20:13   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Assuming that you have the standard 35A alternator, then those symptoms are normal.

For more info, have a read of Ron Kwas' excellent write-up about the behaviour of the amp light:
http://www.sw-em.com/AMP_Indicator_ON.htm

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Nov 16th, 2014 at 22:54. Reason: spelling...
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:18   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derbyman;

The article is particularly applicable to Generator (Dynamo) equipped 544/122/1800 vehicles, and I am not able to see what kind of vehicle you have, but have a read anyway...

222s; Tnx for reference!

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:53   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

The behaviour of your red light is certainly typical of dynamo equipped cars due to how the Bosch charging system works but I'm not so sure that alternator cars would have the same problem. Good idea to have a critical check on the fuse box, fan belt adjustment, and all of the earthing points, Starter motor connections and battery terminals should also be clean and tight.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 12:38   #5
Underdrive

Alternators when working correctly will switch the charge light either on or off not 'somewhere in between' like a dynamo when the revs drop down low and particularly under higher load. Chances are that the alternator brushes are at the end of their life and can easily be checked and replaced cheaply.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 15:28   #6
P1800Ray

My red light stays on for a while (5 minutes) when starting my P1800 (1962) and then goes off.

Is that an alternator issue ?
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 17:51   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ray;

..again, you must specify Alt or Gen when looking for advice! Symptoms are different for the so equipped systems.

...if unmodified Gen is installed and those are your symptoms, it suggests Brushes are very worn, therefore have low pressure onto the Commutator, and are not cutting through the film there until a after a while engine has been running.

I'd order some new Brushes and have them ready to go for next time the Gen is removed...then lightly burnish Commutator surface to clean before installing new Brushes...

Also, if an unmodified Gen system, have a helper keep an eye on the AMP Indicator just after starting (and Indicator is ON, even with raised idle to around 1500RPM), using a test wire, momentarily connect Df terminal of Gen to chassis, bypassing Charging Regulator and making Field current...if Indicator persists, Charging Regulator is suspect in that it is not making this connection, but if Indicator extinguishes, it rather confirms the worn Brushes condition. Remember the Charging Regulator enables Field current by tying Df Terminal to chassis.

Cheers from Connecticut!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Nov 23rd, 2014 at 17:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 12:50   #8
P1800Ray

Thanks Ron, are the brushes still available or is it a case of replacing the whole unit ?

PS - sorry for thread hijack !
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 13:55   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Unless its been converted the '62 1800 would have a dynamo. Brushes for the dynamo are available from Brookhouse. Dynamo obviously has to come apart and you may need a heavy duty soldering iron to remove the old and fit the new brushes. Economical, £10 and a couple of hours DIY.
If you have an alternator it will depend on what it is with regard to replacement parts. Have a look here http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk/product..._REBUILD_PARTS
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 13:21   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

Suggested viewing: A good qualitative explanation of operation of a Shunt Generator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWDSdJKZ9fY

Enjoy!