Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 egr cooler problem

Views : 11797

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 10:25   #11
Barneyrock

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the sound advice I'll go to my local dealership this week and post an update when I know what's what.
Barneyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 15:14   #12
Barneyrock

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll book it into dealership this week and update when I know more cheers
Barneyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 01:44   #13
Robbo Cop

I know it’s been a while but any update on a fix for this issue?

Many thanks ...
Robbo Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 08:49   #14
volvo for ever
Premier Member

ecm-po4d900 egr loop blocked/retricted is usually cooler but you need hose kit too

once off check egr valve ,manifold intake and exhaust sensor
also check soot content and sw availiabillity

ecm -P04D900
ECM-P04C900

Last edited by volvo for ever; Jan 7th, 2018 at 09:04.
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 12:16   #15
Nicholas03

I have a V60 (reg GU64PYY) that has done 40,000 miles. The ERG problem has just surfaced and my dealer wants in excess of £1,000 to fix it. Can you please tell me if the engine is a VEA? What does VEA stand for?
Nicholas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 21:34   #16
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas03 View Post
I have a V60 (reg GU64PYY) that has done 40,000 miles. The ERG problem has just surfaced and my dealer wants in excess of £1,000 to fix it. Can you please tell me if the engine is a VEA? What does VEA stand for?
looks like you have the 5 cylinder engine, I'm afraid it doesn't apply to this one.

Is it a main dealer?

We usually change the boost pressure sensor first, I can't say it is that, but 9 times out of 10 that sorts it. Personally I would try that first, although can't say it will cure it.

VEA Volvo Engine Architecture, its what all the new engines are built on, 3 or 4 cylinder engines
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 23:29   #17
Nicholas03

My main dealer has replaced the egr valve and cooler and, following my request, contacted Volvo for the cost of work to be waived as an act of goodwill, to which Volvo agreed, as an exception. It seems they stopped treating this as a warranty matter in June 2018.
Nicholas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas03 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 13:30   #18
ChrisFromFrance

Default Same problem !

My V60 D4 2014 with VEA engine had the same problem 2 times...
and the cooler is again full ! P04D9 error.
Volvo France does nothing for the moment.
I have a cylinder leakage with a huge oil consumption ( one liter every 1300kilometers).

Does someone have the same problem?

Many thanks
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 23:49   #19
GF2433

Default ERG cooler replaced by Volvo out of warranty

Having found this forum helpful myself I thought others might find details of my recent EGR experience helpful...
I had the engine warning light come on in my 2014 XC60 that has Volvo's new D4 engine in it. My local indy garage that MOTs the car etc said the fault codes indicated a problem with the EGR valve and when they opened it up to have a look found that the EGR cooler seemed to have 'water' inside that had mixed with the carbon in the exhaust to create a messy 'sooty paste'. I did a bit of Googling and found out about this Volvo EGR cooler fault that causes condensation (i.e. the 'water') and so took the XC60 to a Volvo dealer to have a look direct.
Volvo dealers seem to not get out of bed without charging a £140 'diagnostic fee' - for which all they did was read the fault codes from the computer and say 'we think there's a problem with the EGR system', having not looked inside the engine. They quoted a further £800+ to replace the EGR cooler and another £500+ for the EGR valve, saying that whilst 'there is a know issue with the EGR cooler' Volvo wouldn't contribute to the costs as my car is out of warranty...
After a bit of calm discussion the dealer called Volvo HQ (rather than just getting info out of their computer system), who agreed that Volvo would pay for the parts and labour for the replacement of the EGR cooler but not the valve. Apparently Volvo's policy is normally to cover the costs on cars up to 4 years old (warranty is 3 years) but would make an exception as I was only just outside this window by a few months.
The fix for the EGR cooler was described as Volvo having 're-worked the pipes to prevent condensation' plus I think there's a software update that goes with the new parts too.
In the end, Volvo ended up waiving the diagnostic fee as well and covering the EGR cooler and all the labour, so I paid £500 for the EGR valve (trade price to an indy garage for the valve is c. £350 +VAT I think). With the fix done the car's driving great again, plus the MPG seems noticeably better than before too.
A £500 bill is obviously not as good and £free - but a lot better than a £1,600+ bill if Volvo hadn't contributed at all so it's definitely worth standing your ground and getting your dealer to talk to Volvo direct if you have a similar issue.
Ultimately you can always get the EGR cooler and value replaced elsewhere for lower labour rates if Volvo are not going to contribute to your costs, which as it seems to be a fix for a design fault it seems fair that they should contribute, IMO.
It's also worth remembering that when your talk to main dealer service guys they're 'service managers', not mechanics. The main dealers seem to keep the mechanics and technical guys in the workshop and the service managers are the commercial relationship people with the job of trying to keep you happy and manage your expectations - and you can haggle with them, ask them to price match other quotes etc, as they're well aware that indy garages can do a lot the work for less and they want to win your work.
GF2433 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GF2433 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 14:03   #20
JC715

Default EGR nightmare

Afternoon, the cursed EGR valve/cooler strikes again!

I’ve seen a lot of reference to working out if the engine is VEA or not as to wether Volvo offer good will gestures in helping with costs ... how do I find out if my engine comes under this?
JC715 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JC715 For This Useful Post: