Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Hybrid - Preconditioning

Views : 2985

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 12:17   #1
Mr Fudge

Default V60 Hybrid - Preconditioning

I've a 15 plate V60 that I have had for a couple of months now. As far as I can tell preconditioning works when its plugged into charge on both the in car timer and the remote app, but now when it is not plugged in.

From some reading up it appears that it might be an option that is required for it to work when it is not plugged in?

If it helps my key fob does not have a control for preconditioning on it.

All help most welcome
Mr Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 21:23   #2
soldana

Yes, it is a cost option to allow untethered preconditioning, approx £300 I believe for a simple software update! I considered it briefly but decided I wouldn't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

I also think it's very confusing that the VOC app will allow you to set preconditioning when the car is not tethered, even though it is not supported.
soldana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soldana For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 10:20   #3
Mr Fudge

Many thanks - one more question, can it be added retrospectively as a software update?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 21:15   #4
soldana

Yes, I believe it can be added by your dealer retrospectively. If you negotiate a good price, let me know
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 21:45   #5
Tober

Yes it can be added. I think I was quoted something between £300 and £400
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:29   #6
DieselElectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldana View Post
I also think it's very confusing that the VOC app will allow you to set preconditioning when the car is not tethered, even though it is not supported.
When I first got mine back in 2014, I was convinced that untethered preconditioning was working: We went to a restaurant one very cold evening in either December or January. Some time before leaving, I used the app to set the preconditioning. When we later walked out to the car park, my wife commented that all the car windscreens were iced up ... except ours.

For months after that, the only times I was using preconditioning was when the car was already plugged in so I didn't try untethered again until after a service or two, and then nothing happened. As I could hear relays click on and then off again when using the app, I reported it as a fault only to be told my car has never had that facility.

It's anecdotal evidence and, who knows, maybe car-sized micro climates exist, so I can't prove that it once worked, but I have a sneaking suspicion that something was "fixed" in one of the software upgrades done at a service.
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 13:57   #7
Tober

I wondered that too although it never actually worked untethered on mind. However my understanding at the time of purchase was that this was a feature of the car. Not to be without a rather expensive softwaretweak.
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tober For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 20:39   #8
steadvex
Master Member

I had it added to mine, quite miffed that its not standard.

it cost around £300 from memory, software part number is here

with pre heating from the fob, i'm not sure if this enables it, or you need a complete new key? To me its not clear if this is just a software update or a complete new key plus software

One thing tho, if you start remote pre con unplugged, then stop it, you can't enable it again until the car is started and turned off, quite annoying if you pre heat the car, then stop it as you don't need to go out then you can't pre heat later, I know, 1st world problems, but still!

Also, I believe if you use the fuel heater to preheat it also preheats the engine coolant, if its only pre heated from battery it only heats the cabin, the engine certainly feels smoother initially to me once pre heated. Might be in my head, and I might of imagined it, but trying to find the info from Volvo is quite hard imo

Last edited by steadvex; Jan 24th, 2018 at 20:41.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 20:46   #9
Mr Fudge

According to Volvo Customer Service it should work with the App untethered, but I've just gone back (again) asking them to clarify. Thanks for all the info so far.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 21:01   #10
soldana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fudge View Post
According to Volvo Customer Service it should work with the App untethered, but I've just gone back (again) asking them to clarify. Thanks for all the info so far.
Can you get that in writing from them? Then we can all go to our dealers for a free update