Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Odd problem

Views : 1497

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 23:30   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Check that the jets are returning fully after you come off the choke. One maybe partially sticking, but rises under the influence of the spring after everything warms up. Check at the point where you are having the problem, after 1 mile you say.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 07:38   #12
niveketak
66 Amazon

Thanks Derek will have a look at that too.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 09:03   #13
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , please start with the basics . Make sure points gap is correct , plugs are good & gapped correctly , inspect dizzy cap for cracks / dark trace marks inside / moisture & dirt on outside of cap & around HT leads close to dizzy cap .

A miniscule amount of moisture can lead to HT tracking away from spark plugs until it evaporates / dries off . Ole faithful wd40 lightly sprayed around cap & leads eliminates them & do the same to coil top , driving away moisture .

Basics first & obscure when all else fails
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:49   #14
niveketak
66 Amazon

Thanks for that Dingo and to everyone else trying to diagnose a problem from a poor description. Dizzy cap new (6 months) as are the leads. Plug and points gap spot on.

Having examined the filter, spotless, the fuel lines all clear, the jets, all free and returning where they should. All electrical connections removed cleaned and put back. I thought I would try another coil anyway so had a look at removing the coil from its hole in the bulkhead where I assume it has been since new, rusty metal case and brown Bosche top. Weirdly, to me, the ignition fed lead goes through a centimetre thick armoured tube from the ignition switch to the bottom of the coil, which throws up a problem for installing a new one as it can't mount in the same place. I have never seen this type before, are they actually available in the same format?
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 13:24   #15
arcturus
arcturus

Hi,go to this site and see my article re coil, fourth down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1778957228856655/
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 13:32   #16
blueosprey90
Master Member

Criminies! The dreaded armored cable coil. Before you fight that beast, look to your condenser.

The other things I would check are the rotor - make sure the electric contact on top is not loose - and the carbs. If you have dual SUs, make sure they are perfectly balanced. Although unbalanced carbs would tend to make the car want to stall at idle, I suppose if the engine is pulling off of just one carb at lower rpms, that can also cause your problem.

Of course, this is the internet and I don't have a clue about your issues.

As for the coil, after you drive the car a while, feel it. If it is too hot to touch, it is in failure mode. If it is just a bit warmer than engine bay temp, just leave it alone for now. Maybe Ron will come to the rescue and describe some in situ test you can perform on the coil.

I don't know about your car, but for my PV444, I think the armored cable coils are available, but hideously expensive. The ignition switch is integrated in the arrangement. For my car, kits are available to mount a modern coil and plug up the large hole in the bulkhead. Once again the cost of the kit is more than the car is worth.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 13:42   #17
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

nive;

Ign Coil is part of a secure Coil/Armored Cable/Ign Switch assembly which makes the wire supplying power to Ign Coil completely inaccessible...consequently, it is impossible to "Hot-Wire" a so equipped Volvo (good!).

If you suspect Ign Sys therefore of being responsible for your symptoms, a good (really the only!) troubleshooting technique given the inseparability of Ign Sw and Ign Coil, is to temporarily substitute components like Ign Coil or Dist, and wire them into the existing other Ign components.

...but before troubleshooting Ign Sys by substitution, I suggest checking Centrifugal Advance of Dist, assuring it operates smoothly and returns at idle. Timing Strobe makes this simple! See also: http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignitio...CA%20Servicing
...I just reread my notes, and I even see the term "bucking bronco" there also, to describe the possible failure symptoms...!

Good Hunting

Edit: Thanks for reference bo...our posts crossed in the ether...

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 13:50.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:17   #18
blueosprey90
Master Member

In post #15, Arcturus posted a link to a closed Facebook group for the B4-B16 engines. So I couldn't read the article referenced.

But I asked to join that group, and my "application" is pending. If they have any sense of propriety, they will keep me out. Just like Groucho, I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me for a member.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:30   #19
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
In post #15, Arcturus posted a link to a closed Facebook group for the B4-B16 engines. So I couldn't read the article referenced.

But I asked to join that group, and my "application" is pending. If they have any sense of propriety, they will keep me out. Just like Groucho, I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me for a member.
This is the text. Tho pic's will make things clearer

Nothing lasts forever including the coil on our PVs. Original replacements are unavailable so how to replace whilst still keeping original appearance and mounting?
First of all unfasten the ignition switch (don't forget to disconnect battery first) by removing the two screws which attach it to the dash. Remove the three screws which hold the coil on the bulkhead. Carefully pull out the whole coil switch assembly. Next you need to cut through the armored cable and separate the coil from the switch. cut off the base of the coil as in photo and then cut off the Bakelite top.You can just make out where on the photo marked in red. You can then push out the innards and leave the holder intact. There are some metal sleeves around the wire coil which you should save. The new coil is then inserted into the mounting,you may need to pack it a bit with the sleeves depending on the diameter of the new coil. Pull off the armor which goes into the switch and solder in a new LT cable. When it,s all re installed the only difference visible from original is an extra terminal.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 13:53   #20
blueosprey90
Master Member

So I was thinking about the Niveketak Syndrome last night.

So now I remember that my car had a similar issue when I first brought it home. Especially under load. A thorough tune-up seemed to be the cure. My thinking is that it is ultimately a carburetor problem (unbalanced), but checking points, timing, valve lash and the carb adjustment just might do the trick.