Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turning over indefinitely

Views : 1128

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 08:19   #11
ACJJ619

It's so weird that it worked the day after?!

I tried that lunch time, that afternoon and that evening. Probably 10 - 15 times I tried at various points in the day and nothing worked. The next day it started first time.

Wondering whether it was an issue with damp getting in somewhere and needing time to dry out or something?

Anyway, I'm borrowing a laptop and I've got VOLC-FCR so let's see if I can get that working. I've got the car home now so it can sit on the drive until I'm confident it's not going to leave me stranded anywhere...
ACJJ619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:24   #12
ACJJ619

Okay I'm struggling to get VOL-FCR working, but that's another thread.

I DID however manage to communicate with the immobiliser module and it said the following:

IMM-321 Initiating Signal Absent from ECM.

Could this be my issue?
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 21:27   #13
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJJ619 View Post
Okay I'm struggling to get VOL-FCR working, but that's another thread.

I DID however manage to communicate with the immobiliser module and it said the following:

IMM-321 Initiating Signal Absent from ECM.

Could this be my issue?
Sounds like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
When I had a problem with the immobilier antenna ring the car would turn over and fire but die immediately, not keep turning over without firing. The common fault with the immobiliser ring is the contact of the plug to the ring, often improved just by unplugging and plugging back in a few times to clean the contacts.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 17:38   #14
ACJJ619

Update on this:

I successfully made a flash code reader and it produced a 2-4-5, which is the idle control valve. Not sure if this could be creating the issues, but it's a starting point.

Was disappointed not to see a code for the cam position sensor but I'll check that out with a multimeter anyway just to be sure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACJJ619 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 16:45   #15
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Looks like you may be onto something.

If you still get 'stuck' other things to look at later maybe.

FPR has been mentioned. Test by removing Relay 103. Bridge terminals 15 & 87 with an unbent paper clip. This forces the fuel pump to run.

If it fires up, FPR dodgy (it maybe starting to fail hence random no starts). If no start fuel pump dead - my 850 had this. Engine spun no start.

Earth straps: My current 99' V70T5 had a random no start. History showed it had been an issue for a good number of years. One garage replaced the starter trying and failing to fix. I tried the antenna ring & that did not solve my issue.
The battery died, probs from all the starting attempts, it always did start but annoyingly sometimes after lots of attempts.
Anyways, on fitting a new battery, I removed the battery tray to find the earth straps really manky. I cleaned them right up & then fitted the new battery. Over a year now & its started on the button EVERY time.

One final thought, the trigger wire on the starter. Often gets cruddy and can cause random no start issues. If you havent ever cleaned it, well its worth doing anyway.
HTH's
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 19:53   #16
ACJJ619

Ah, I thought it would spit all the codes out at once but turns out I need to dip the wire into port 5 between codes.

Low and behold, one of the codes was for the cam position sensor! Just what I'd hoped for.

I'll begin by changing that and see what happens. The car is currently at work after it stranded me there today..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACJJ619 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 21:12   #17
Simmy
Premier Member

there are two codes for cam position sensor 314 and 324
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote