Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Views : 36853

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:24   #11
nozmeister

You've not said how many MPG you're getting. I find the reserve light comes on with a few gallons still left in the tank, anytime from about the 420 mark and I reckon I'm getting 45mpg.

If you divide 400 miles by how much fuel you put in the tank when you refill it you'll get a better idea.
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 19:21   #12
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Had my S40 2.0D for 18 months and 30,000 iles now (ex demonstrator with about 7000 miles when I bought it.
MGP has gradually improved, I average about 45-46 mpg now, mix of dual carriageway, main roads, country lanes and city driving.
Best consumption was over 50 mpg on a fast run from Norfolk to Yorkshire and back.. computer was showing 57MPG which = about 51 or 52.
Computer normally shows between 52 ans 52mpg, which is a ral consumption of as I said, 45-46MPG.
Fuel consumption is now about 4 MPG better than my wife's C-Max, with the same engine, but the aerodynamics of a brick.
I'm happy with the fuel consumption, but have seen several comments on much poorer consumptions.... software upgrades make a difference; supermarket fuels are worth a 2 to 3 MPG decrease. I use some ReDeX evey now and again, not a gentle driver. Engine responds to being booted now and again to clean out the crap. I wonder if the exhaust particle filter is liable to blockage if driven gently or in town a lot?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 20:45   #13
SteveTDCi

For the 2.0 38 ish ain't bad, the old VW 1.9 is very frugal. Just under 40mpg is similar to what the same engine does in the Focus. As for MPG, I tend to use the urban figure as a more achievable figure to aim for. BTW my golf gets just under 44mpg thats mixed driving and chipped with no easy life.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 21:18   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

the old V40 1.9 D gets 55 mpg without trying too hard , and it's a much nicer engine ... progress?
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 23:30   #15
SteveTDCi

cars are getting heavier .... its going to affect MPG besides with the old oilburners people expected lots of MPG nowadays we want power to rival a petrol. Somethings gotta give............
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:00   #16
spacetoy

Hi I'm new to the forum

I have had my Volvo s40 1.6 diesel since October last year. So far, I am very pleased with its fuel consumption. In fact, i'm a bit of geek in finding ways to improve it.

I regularly get over 50 mpg and I have acheived 524 miles to my tank. But you have to consider that I am doing 100 miles a day mostly on the m3. I tend to use cruise control and keep it at pleasant 75 mph (or 72 mph if you believe my tom tom) and I use my aircon in short stints just to drop the temperature. But I dont leave it in the 'on' position. Its also good to generally avoid hard acceleration.

I have also noticed a big difference in fuels, bizarrely if I use tescos diesel my fuel light comes on at around 430 miles, but I fill up at total my fuel light comes on at around 460 ( my best was 475). Ultimate diesel also gives better consumption but im still in the process of figuring out if its worth it.

I have also noticed with my volvo that the fuel light comes on way to early really, and it shows that im in the red to early too. When the light comes on I can still get another 50 miles out of the tank without panic, and when its just of the red on the fuel guage I can still do a further 100 miles.

when I first filled up just after the light came on there was still over 10 litres left in the tank.

I have now learned to ignore the gauges to a certain extent and go with experience of what the car can and cant do.
spacetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 23:05   #17
SteveTDCi

I've always found that shell gives better mpg and performance than BP ultimate, and its cheaper.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 23:36   #18
CW_
Mmm Beer

I've had three of the new shape S40 2.0Ds, the first did about 33mpg mostly on country roads with steep hills, second averaged about 39mpg on flat A roads, probably averaging 30-40mph. Now I only get about 35mpg as on average only go on very short journeys. My wife gets 42mpg in her V50 2.0d, drives very sensibly though. I can't beleive anyone gets more than 45 as have tried resetting computer on the motorway and driving nicely and cant get much more than that. I'm happy with 35-40mpg as when I had a 2.4 I only got 20mpg!
CW_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 00:02   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW_ View Post
I can't beleive anyone gets more than 45 as have tried resetting computer on the motorway and driving nicely and cant get much more than that. I'm happy with 35-40mpg as when I had a 2.4 I only got 20mpg!
I tend to agree with you , any hint of turbo boost and the economy goes out the window .. i could never get more than 48 mpg over 600 miles and thats not going over 2000 rpm ( you dont need to ) and using as little boost as possible ..
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 15:58   #20
spacetoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW_ View Post
I can't beleive anyone gets more than 45 as have tried resetting computer on the motorway and driving nicely and cant get much more than that.
You could try a 1.6d next time! thats if you dont mind the drop in peformance.
Also try working out your mpg the old fashioned way with a pen and paper, I find the computer readout can be a bit mean by a couple of mpg.

Stevetdci - thanks I will try the shell, if I can find a shell station on my route.
spacetoy is offline   Reply With Quote