Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty Volvos

Views : 20554

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 19:02   #1
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Angry Faulty Volvos

This last week i have now had 4 new faults apear on my XC90! This is on top of the 8 visits that the car has had previously to local dealer so have now told the supplying dealer, Doves Croydon, that I wish to reject the vehicle. They have jst turned round and offered me £22000 for a car that is 4 and a half months old!! Having spoken to Trading Standards this afternoon they have agreed that a full refund is in order and are now chasing this matter for me. They also commented that two of the faults were dangerous.

When I bought the vehicle the service was impeccable and I am thoroughly disappointed that this is the route that I am having to go down with them now. VCUK say there is nothing they can do for me as it is up to the dealership to sort this out.

Sadly following my experience with my XC90 and Volvo as a company I reckon that this will be the last Volvo that I have near my house!! Definately NOT a case of third time lucky as my last 2 Volvos gave me impeccable service while I had them and apart from the constant faults I like the comfort of my xc and its ability to tow my caravan.

Sadly this will be the end of my relationship with the brand.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Mar 7th, 2009 at 02:05. Reason: Made sticky for the time being.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:30   #2
Laney760
VOC Member

Sorry to hear this Phil. What are the faults?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:25   #3
pdr944

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
This last week i have now had 4 new faults apear on my XC90! This is on top of the 8 visits that the car has had previously to local dealer so have now told the supplying dealer, Doves Croydon, that I wish to reject the vehicle. They have jst turned round and offered me £22000 for a car that is 4 and a half months old!! Having spoken to Trading Standards this afternoon they have agreed that a full refund is in order and are now chasing this matter for me. They also commented that two of the faults were dangerous.

When I bought the vehicle the service was impeccable and I am thoroughly disappointed that this is the route that I am having to go down with them now. VCUK say there is nothing they can do for me as it is up to the dealership to sort this out.

Sadly following my experience with my XC90 and Volvo as a company I reckon that this will be the last Volvo that I have near my house!! Definately NOT a case of third time lucky as my last 2 Volvos gave me impeccable service while I had them and apart from the constant faults I like the comfort of my xc and its ability to tow my caravan.

Sadly this will be the end of my relationship with the brand.
a sad story indeed but fully understandable.when you pay that sort of money for a car it has to be right.i tow with an xc90 and its great but i must admit some of the stories i read are nightmares.

mind ow ya go.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 14:25   #4
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Faults so far are

1) Cup holder broke at three days old

2) Car wouldnt stay in gear when lifting throttle off even at motorway speeds

3) The hesitation problem that appeared after the software update to sort the gearbox. MUCH more pronounced with the caravan on the back. 3 attempts at rectifying so far.

4) last week a light knocking sound started under the bonnet that got louder the more throttle it got and rose in tempo with engine speed.

5) clunking when engaging 1st and 6th gear although this is now beginning to affect other gears now.

6) Jumped to neutral when changing down from 6th to 5th climbing a hill with caravan on. no throttle response till 4th engaged. Twice for that one now. Oh and a car nearly ran up the back of the caravan cos I slowed down so quick with no brake lights showing.

7) Has now started not locking the drivers door when you press the button unless you lock, unlock then relock the car.

As I am typing this I have had a response from Global Customer relations that appears to state that the practice of offering to buy back faulty cars at a greatly reduced price seems to normal working practice for Volvo. Have asked them to clarify this point and will be awaiting their answer with anticipation.......

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Feb 26th, 2009 at 16:10. Reason: Addendum
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 15:10   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

thats absolutely shocking, they have sold you a defective product and should either replace it wth a new one or give you a full refund. VCUK should be on the dealers back to make sure its sorted

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 15:24   #6
pdr944

Default xc90

the point here is that the vehicle is not of merchantable quality and therefore should be repaired or replaced with no argument.it makes you wonder if they bought it back would they bother to repair it before selling it to someone else.

totally unacceptable.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 15:33   #7
4wheeldriver
Master Member

VCUK have stated that there is nothing that they can do as they contract of sale is with the dealers and Sweden have told me that they support the dealer in his decision to offer me the greatly reduced price. I wont quote the email in case of ramifications but their stance appears to be that (allegedly) this is acceptable behaviour from the dealer but I am awaiting clarification on this point from Global Customer Relations before I make any of the information received public pending speaking to my soicitor about GCR's reply to this question on possibly condoning illegal practices in regard to the Sale of Goods act. So any of you contemplating buying new from Volvo then it might be worth noting their stance if you have any problems with the car!!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 16:50   #8
dodgyken
Master Member

Is the product of merchantable quality? If trading standards are supporting you - then you should be OK.

How long have you the vehicle? Do you have a diary of the faults and when it was returned to the dealer and for how long?
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 16:57   #9
4wheeldriver
Master Member

The vehicle was delivered brand new on the 1st October last year and has been in the garage 8 times since then not including the 4 new faults that appeaered in the last week. Arnold Clark and William Lewis are digging out the records for me in case Doves turn down my final chance to them to refund the money I paid for it before I go down the legal route against them! Trading Standards and my solicitor say they havent a leg to stand on.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 21:39   #10
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Well have sent email giving them last chance to refund and have heard nothing back as yet so who knows. Maybe tomorrow will bring a reply from them!! If not I have a solicitor looking into it for me and will go down the route of taking them to court. Another hassle I could do without but if needs must.......................