Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate/Boot won't open

Views : 40529

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 20:21   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBilbo View Post
I contacted Coquitlam Volvo in BC and was told by the parts tech. that I would need to buy a whole new handle assembly for approx. $150.00 Canadian, which, to me, seems like buying a new car when you get a flat tire. Sigh. His only advice was to go to a used parts place and look for something I could use. I live in Kamloops, BC, which is a big truck town, and I've never seen any significant Volvo parts in this town so I'd have to go to Vancouver (3.5 hours away) to look for a used part. Truthfully though, I don't want a used switch, and I'm sure many people would agree with this.

So I'm putting this out there to see if anyone has some ideas for me. I'm including some pictures to help out with my explanation.
The microswitch is part of the numberplate lamp holder assembly , about £11 in UK ,, you might have been poorly advised .. you dont need the whole assembly which has to be painted to match the car which isnt cheap ..
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 20:32   #12
BCBilbo

Thanks for the reply, Clan. Is the "numberplate lamp holder assembly" you mentioned the black piece in the picture below? It's about 30 cm long and holds the microswitch as well as the integrated wiring and such. If this could be ordered only, that would make my day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Needed part.jpg (252.8 KB, 30 views)
BCBilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 22:26   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBilbo View Post
Thanks for the reply, Clan. Is the "numberplate lamp holder assembly" you mentioned the black piece in the picture below? It's about 30 cm long and holds the microswitch as well as the integrated wiring and such. If this could be ordered only, that would make my day.
Yes exactly that part :-) but unless you have ordered one before you wouldnt think so looking at the parts drawing ..
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:50   #14
BCBilbo

Default Yes!

This why these forums are so valuable. As it turns out, the original dealership I called had a parts man who was not as knowledgeable as others.

I contacted Don Docksteader Volvo in Vancouver, and Chris found the exact part that Clan said could be purchased. ($20.00)

I was able to install it with no problem, and voila! I am in the "I can open my tailgate club"! Thank you Clan.

I only wish I knew some more about cars to give back some karma. Namaste.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCBilbo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 16:15   #15
marky-gee

So should my boot pop open when I press the remote button or does it just unlock? Because on mine when I press the remote button it only unlocks it doesn't open itself.
marky-gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 16:38   #16
Guru
Premier Member

The button on the key fob unlocks only.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:06   #17
BCBilbo

Guru's right unfortunately. The only way to open the tailgate hatch is with the %#^@& little microswitch in the tailgate assembly. Unless models newer than 2005 made intelligent modifications?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:30   #18
founder

Hi all, my V50 tailgate stopped working this evening but I don't think the microswitch is the problem because when I press it I'm hearing activity, like the latch is trying to open (a heavy 'click'). Any suggestions before I start taking things apart?

It's interesting there's no emergency release from the inside, but I guess that's because its not an actual trunk and therefore impossible to get trapped in.
founder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:05   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

This problem could well be something stuck in the latch , so pressthe button whilst someone pushes hard on the tailgate from inside ...
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:19   #20
founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by founder View Post
Hi all, my V50 tailgate stopped working this evening but I don't think the microswitch is the problem because when I press it I'm hearing activity, like the latch is trying to open (a heavy 'click'). Any suggestions before I start taking things apart?

It's interesting there's no emergency release from the inside, but I guess that's because its not an actual trunk and therefore impossible to get trapped in.
Ok some followup on this issue. Attempting to force the tailgate open didnt work, it was too solidly closed. I had resigned myself to taking it to the dealer, but after a few days its working again! I guess I went over enough bumps and potholes to shake it free. There wasn't anything stuck in the latch or the socket, so I can only guess that it got closed in such a way that made it stick. I'll spray some teflon on it as a preventative measure.

So if your tailgate gets stuck, but the latch still clicks when you press the release button, try taking your V50 for a bumpy ride
founder is offline   Reply With Quote