Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Code read in Glasgow?

Views : 2394

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2016, 09:35   #31
Jack Spaniel

I'm just browsing and found this thread. What a great forum this is!
I'm so impressed that ScottyJohn was able to assemble all the equipment and work his way through the problem, and what super assistance provided by Cheshired5 in walking him through it. Well done to both.
I'm an ex 240 and V70 owner and have been thinking about an XC90 to tow my caravan and be a workhorse for the family and a muddy dog transporter for the pooches. Hence arriving at this thread. Good move do you think?
1 x 244
Jack Spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 10:21   #32
scottyjohn

As a family transporter and general do it all safe vehicle,I don't think the xc90 can be beat! I'm new here also, as we just purchased ours due to the surprise addition of our third child 😀. So far love the vehicle, and should do us proud for summer camping trips etc

XC90 SE 2004 D5 163HP - Blue
scottyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 12:07   #33
scottyjohn

So I have been running the car and it definitely feels better, but I did get an Engine Service and limp mode the other day, so there must still be an underlying issue. I did notice that when I tested the vacuum being generated by the valve at tickover, which lets vacuum through to the engine mounts, when ticking over, it doesnt hold a steady pressure like the tester showed in sirobb's video, instead the guage flicks up and down wildly?. So although Ive tested the mount side vacuum, and blanked off the engine mount that I know to be leaking, I think there might be a leak on the vacuum pump side of the valve, so will test that piping when I get home tonight. Anyone any advice as to what that might be if the piping proves to hold vacuum? Vacuum pump perhaps?

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 13:19   #34
cheshired5
Premier Member

You can connect the tester directly onto the vacuum pump and I'll bet it holds steady.
The flickering is caused by a leak further forwards. Possibly the boost solenoid rubber diaphragm but you can clamp off pipes and narrow things down.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 23:32   #35
scottyjohn

So the plot thickens! Tested the piping today and seems like it's the vacuum pump that's shot. Tested with a hose direct from my tester to the pump, and still get the same flickering. I changed to a different pipe section just to be sure and it seems like it is the pump. Looking on eBay they seem to go for about £30 to £50, but is it worthwhile getting second hand? Are they a known weak point that is likely to be faulty also? Anyone know the cost of a new unit or if they can be reconditioned?