Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member, few questions

Views : 2353

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:50   #1
wildrain

Default New member, few questions

Hello to everyone, my first post so go easy on me.
Iv just bought an xc90,this being my first ever volvo i dont know a great deal about them, though a lot more now after having a good read on here.

The car is on a 56 plate, reg in jan 07, does this make it a my06 or a my07, the reason im asking is because i got hold of a "copy" of the latest rti dvd's and thought i would update the nav, but when i put the disk in the drive under the seat it says on screen, "wrong map disk inserted", i think these are for up to my06 and that the my07 is a different disk, so does this mean i have a my07 xc90 ?

Had the car for a week now and im really enjoying it, not great on MPG around town but i expected that from what i read here.
wildrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 16:24   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default model year

read your vin number, it will reveal the model year.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_xc90.shtml

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 17:19   #3
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrain View Post
Hello to everyone, my first post so go easy on me.
Iv just bought an xc90,this being my first ever volvo i dont know a great deal about them, though a lot more now after having a good read on here.

The car is on a 56 plate, reg in jan 07, does this make it a my06 or a my07, the reason im asking is because i got hold of a "copy" of the latest rti dvd's and thought i would update the nav, but when i put the disk in the drive under the seat it says on screen, "wrong map disk inserted", i think these are for up to my06 and that the my07 is a different disk, so does this mean i have a my07 xc90 ?

Had the car for a week now and im really enjoying it, not great on MPG around town but i expected that from what i read here.
By the information that you have given, I think that you possibly have the RTI/Sat Nav which is on HDD and only one DVD is used for update and must be left in once updated.
The previous system used 3 DVD's and DVD had to be inserted, depending on your location.

Hope this helps?

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 15:04   #4
wildrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty View Post
read your vin number, it will reveal the model year.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_xc90.shtml

paul
Thanks for that, Looks like i have an 07.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 15:19   #5
wildrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
By the information that you have given, I think that you possibly have the RTI/Sat Nav which is on HDD and only one DVD is used for update and must be left in once updated.
The previous system used 3 DVD's and DVD had to be inserted, depending on your location.

Hope this helps?

tem.
Looks like its an 07 so you could be right about the HDD.

Just hade a look on the nav and found this

SW 00000350/02220

MAP AEU_06_2005021

I thought from reading on here that if you do an update you get the warning message every time you turn on, well i get that anyway and there is no disk left in the drive.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 19:01   #6
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Looks like its an 07 so you could be right about the HDD.

Just hade a look on the nav and found this

SW 00000350/02220

MAP AEU_06_2005021

I thought from reading on here that if you do an update you get the warning message every time you turn on, well i get that anyway and there is no disk left in the drive.
If you have tried to update the HDD with a disc that was ment for the DVD RTI version, then, I am not sure what will have happened.

My existing XC90 MY07 was purchesed in September 2006 and it has the HDD system.
I checked to see what version of software was installed and found it to be older than what was on the XC90, I part exchanged.
When I pointed this out to Volvo UK, the agreed to give me a free update.
I had to wait until early 2007 for it.

The Volvo Part Number 31210543 0648 (0648 being 2006 Week 48) and Map Version 3120335. This at least should have been what was installed on your HDD.

I updated the HDD (one disc) and on completion, had the leave the disc in the HDD.
No alarms, when system switched on.

I can only suggest that you go to your Volvo Dealer and see what they have to say - it will still be under warranty.

The bad news, there is not a lot of information to be found on the RTI system.
Volvo, has once again, shut down http://navi.volvocars.com this has happened several times over the years.

Not sure if helps, but I now have the above update disc for the HDD spare, as Volvo had to fit a new HDD earlier this year when the other one packed in.
The error message I recieved "Unable To Read Disc".
Volvo tried everything to rectify fault, but in the end, a new unit was fitted.
It runs on the installed software, with no disc installed.

tem.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:13   #7
wildrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
If you have tried to update the HDD with a disc that was ment for the DVD RTI version, then, I am not sure what will have happened.

My existing XC90 MY07 was purchesed in September 2006 and it has the HDD system.
I checked to see what version of software was installed and found it to be older than what was on the XC90, I part exchanged.
When I pointed this out to Volvo UK, the agreed to give me a free update.
I had to wait until early 2007 for it.

The Volvo Part Number 31210543 0648 (0648 being 2006 Week 48) and Map Version 3120335. This at least should have been what was installed on your HDD.

I updated the HDD (one disc) and on completion, had the leave the disc in the HDD.
No alarms, when system switched on.

I can only suggest that you go to your Volvo Dealer and see what they have to say - it will still be under warranty.

The bad news, there is not a lot of information to be found on the RTI system.
Volvo, has once again, shut down http://navi.volvocars.com this has happened several times over the years.

Not sure if helps, but I now have the above update disc for the HDD spare, as Volvo had to fit a new HDD earlier this year when the other one packed in.
The error message I recieved "Unable To Read Disc".
Volvo tried everything to rectify fault, but in the end, a new unit was fitted.
It runs on the installed software, with no disc installed.

tem.
Thanks for all the info, Did you ring a local dealer about the nav or is there a better number to call, When i called my local dealer last week about the cost of turning off the DRL's they didnt have a clue what i was talking about.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 18:01   #8
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, Did you ring a local dealer about the nav or is there a better number to call, When i called my local dealer last week about the cost of turning off the DRL's they didnt have a clue what i was talking about.
My local dealer confirmed that the software was out of date and when I contacted Volve Customers Services, they sent an email, to give to them, confirming, that Volvo UK, would pay for the update software.

Again my local dealer delt with the faulty HDD.
At first they were advised by Volvo UK to obtain a head cleaning disc, but this did not fix the problem and they went ahead and ordered a replacement HDD unit.
It took about 2 weeks to arrive, as it had to come direct from Sweden/Netherlands.

The DRL's?

I understand that a bit of software has to be downloaded with the workshop computer, to turn them off - but not 100% sure.
As I do a lot of driving in Europe, I just keep the DRL's, because, in countrys where it is still not the law to have them, you can incur a heavy fine, if you forget to switch on the lights, when you drive through a tunnel.

Anyway, from a safety aspect, better to be seen - from my moter cycle days.

tem.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 21:12   #9
AB-UK
Premier Member

I have the 3 x disk version, and it has be the worst Sat Nav system going!
The previous single disk version was better - I could ask it for a route from Nottingham to Dorset, and it didn't go via the M25 - the "new" version does. Volvo's answer - plan your route in stages so you don't have to use the M25 - how crap is that.
A route from Birmingham to Cornwall - via the M5 all the ay you might think.
Volvo Sat Nav wanted me to leave the M5 and go onto the M50, and when I refused for 12 miles after the junction on the M5 it asked me to make a "U" Turn.
Volvo's answer - "Our engineers have been unable to recreate this problem" - probably because they tried it whilst in their office, and not out in the field.
Last week, travelling up the M1, it asked me to leave the motorway at Junction 27, and take the second exit off the roundabout back onto the M1 again.
I didn't bother reporting this one to Volvo - what's the point?
Although the Volvo system will tell you which no. exit from a roundabout to use, other Sat Navs tell you more, such as to "Take the 2nd exit off the roundabout onto the A123" for example - some even tell which where that road is going, eg. "towards Plymouth". At least you can be sure you are going onto the correct road.
When I change my XC90, I won't be specifying the Volvo Sat Nav for my next one.
I pity foreigners using this system in the UK when they have absolutely no idea of the correct route.
It worked better in Europe last year though.
Oh - and it doesn't seem to know the concept of ring-roads. It will happily plot a route through the middle of a city when you want a destination which is on the other side.
I love my Volvo, and the Volvo ideal, but when such matters are brought to their attention so that they can make improvements etc., Volvo just don't seem to care.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 22:41   #10
rwaw

Slightly off topic but re switching DRL's off: I was in the dealer's yesterday and asked them to switch them off.
I was told it can't be done because they're Xenons.

After that I didn't even dare ask them about the issue of being unable to play MP3 files on a CD........

Thanks.
rwaw is offline   Reply With Quote