Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bike on your XC60

Views : 1993

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2014, 09:25   #11
andymcp
Premier Member

On our last car we started off with roof bars and bike holders. Freelander was a similar height to XC60, and we later coughed up £1100 for a dealer fit detachable towbar and Thule bike rack for several reasons:

1. Loading bikes on the roof was a pain. 20 minutes every time for 4. If it's raining that's no fun - we bike all year round so very cold after a ride.

2. Clearance. For our local council skip and just about every multi storey car park, the roof bars need to come off. Another 10 minutes each way to get ready for a bike ride.

3. Damage. Inevitably, one day a bike will topple over, either because it getting them up to that height is unwieldy or because you're cold in the rain and fingers slip. Happened twice, around £200 of repair work on the car each time.

4. Enjoyment. I like going out on my bike. I don't want that enjoyment dulled by half an hour of swearing, cold and damage before I even get into the saddle!

It got to the point where only I would load bikes, so Mrs McP couldn't take kids for a ride when I was working. Compared to the Thule towbar approach it's night and day - 5 mins tops to load 4 bikes, can still access the boot to get in/out, never damaged the car and it is easy enough for anyone to fit. As someone else mentioned, also allows for roof box storage which has been a must when packing up for longer holidays including cycle gear. Haven't compared mpg using the D4 engine yet, but in the Freelander bikes mounted in towbar were a good 3-4mpg easier on the wallet than bikes on roof. We do about 2500 miles a year loaded with bikes, so every little helps!

It seems like a lot of money until you spend it (and use it). To me, it now feels like a bargain.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 17:40   #12
Flux
Premier Member

I tend to agree with andymcp.

If it costs £1,100 but saves you time, increases flexibility, reduces fuel consumption and makes life easier then it's a price worth paying. Now I know a grand is a grand but in the overall scheme of things AND over the lifetime of the car, it not much at all.

Plus the fact that if you ever need to hire a trailer or tow something then it's there..........

Went out with the family yesterday for a walk in the forest and there were loads of folk on bikes and the car park was full of bike racks fitted to tow bars - seem to be increasing in popularity over roof mount. The way to go if you don't have the strength or inclination to haul them up on the roof.

You can also take your bike rack with you and fit to another towbar on a future car....
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 23:38   #13
norco

I got 2 rd bikes in the boot last yr for Europe but with new dog now in same dilemma. Had roof mounted before but the memory of bits of bike bouncing off the bonnet when l forgot and hit a car park barrier makes it hard to go back. The grand has stopped me so far and I'm considering putting a box on and seeing how many bike bits l can get in there certainly wheels maybe a rd frame. I would only use a bar and rack a few times a yr as my mtb normally goes in my focus estate so seems a big investment. As someone said hiring may be cheaper although rd bikes more than downhill bikes - many places in the Alps are 80 euros plus per day. Still a few months to sort something out - dog is proving expensive as also getting a barnesbrook cage in case he's a chewer!
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 10:13   #14
Considered1
Premier Member

Know what you mean, we need to kit out the new car for the dog first so this is the subject of another thread, and more expense. The bike thing is also a few times a year so large investment probably not going to happen just yet.

I'd manage (financially) the roof mounts if i thought I could reach but I'm not Geoff Capes so maybe asking for trouble and makes you think twice about fork mounting, at least with the wheels on less likely to damage the roof!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 05:09   #15
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Thanks, it was a Thule holder that we saw on the motorway, but again pricing these with towbar seems best part of £1k

They do seem pretty niffty

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/...6-929-_-929000
WE had a heavy duty towbar fitted, partially so we could get one of these, or its equivalents. I have roof carriers so could easily fit 4 on top but:

1. I don't really want to carrier a step to get the bikes on top - it was bad enough for the bikes in the centre on the Skoda; and

2. I want the option of taking the roofbox and the bikes.

Tags
bike, carrier, grille, load, roof