Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate open message

Views : 430

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2024, 22:33   #1
Pastymunchingxc70

Default Tailgate open message

Bet this has been asked many times,I've got the tailgate open message on the dash all the time. Can anyone shed any light on what it is.... Switch hidden somewhere or wires to the boot lid.all the lights work on the boot OK as does the locking of it. Sorry if it's been asked 1000 times before.
Pastymunchingxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 10:51   #2
GrahamWright

Is the tailgate interior light on?
GrahamWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 14:27   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I've read that there's a small switch (micro-switch was a term used) built into the latch. This switch is said to be unrepairable.

Also, in cases where nudging the latch a bit -in your case, likely nudging it out so the hatch hits it sooner- is mentioned, responders always say to try that in small (0.5mm) increments.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 21:09   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

a more common thing is a break in the wiring where it bends round from the tailgate to the body you will need to free the wires from the hinge and remove some interior panels to affect a repair. iv fixed several of these with this fault.some times the wiper fails as well there are some youtube vids on this repair some show an 850 but its the same problem and repair
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 21:23   #5
Pastymunchingxc70

Thanks for the reply guys.the boot light isn't on when I open the boot at all even when closed.
Wiper works but has stripped the gears. Boot locks fines.3rd brake light is OK as too are the reg lights. Will check the latch first then set about the wires.
Thanks again will report back later in the week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pastymunchingxc70 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 15:31   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Just to share your sorrows.....
My rear wiper failed.
And since the rear washer ceased squirting a while before, I was satisfied to dismiss both wiper and washer as just foolish options in cars which I've always resented or even hated.

Then, after unknowingly bumping the rear wiper switch to the ON position, I opened the hatch and the wiper started.
It diagnosed itself! I know now that I too must go into my hatch wires and find the broken one for the wiper motor.

Actually I'm glad it's a wiring fix as opposed to having to open, clean and lube the gear box.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 17:53   #7
Pastymunchingxc70

I've unplugged my wiper as it was on permanently 😂 but just the motor running. Don't really need a rear wiper so might just get it out and plug it.... Less weight to carry around 😁
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 18:50   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

wiper that wont switch off another symptom of wiring fault you will have several bare/ broken wires. nr the hinge you will need to unwrap the covering to find them the break is usually inside the car.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 10:28   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Search “ earth colour cheers” on this forum section. I posted on “ a few odd issues” post 9 feb 2014. When I had this issue was an Earth fault. Also couple of pics.
Can’t copy /paste thread as I’m on tablet n can’t figure it out …sorry
Cheers Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 10:49   #10
marcb
Master Member

I had tailgate open message recently - baffled me but then I found a bit of plastic that had snapped off a shopping bag clip in the well where the lock is and that was the culprit.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote