Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide : how to change tailgate gas struts

Views : 7164

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:02   #1
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Post Guide : how to change tailgate gas struts

I'm guessing this will be the same for any car but I didn't find anything approaching simple instructions or with photos, and it took me a fair bit of head scratching before it all made sense.

you will need:
new gas struts
flat blade screwdriver- small
a prop

at each end of the strut is a plastic nut, around which you'll find a metal clip that acts as a locking mechanism.

Prise off the metal clip with a flat blade screwdriver.

Use a broom handle or similar to prop the hatch open. If you don't, when you remove the struts it'll drop on your head. I used a mop handle and jammed it between a heavy box in the boot and the interior grab handle so it wouldn't slip, and pulled the hatch down a bit so it was jammed pretty tight before I started.

Pull the strut nut away from the metal bolt, you might need to wobble it a bit but it'll come off easily.

Push the new strut back on, bottom end first. You might need to twist it around to fit both ends. Repeat for the other side

photos attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130113_152559-1196655864.jpg (115.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_1526111236300012.jpg (111.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_152623-1206506848.jpg (110.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_152715-1253031242.jpg (144.6 KB, 18 views)
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:50   #2
DWM
VOC Member

Useful guide and good photos, thank you.
I'd just add:

1. There's no need actually to remove the metal circlip; just pulling it back a little with that flat screwdriver should be enough to enable you to pull the strut off the ball.

2. The bit that says "If you don't, when you remove the struts it'll drop on your head" needs to be in bold capitals for people like me who are inclined to forget the prop when they go out to the car and are too lazy to go back inside to get it, and say to themselves "Oh, surely it'll be all right - can't be as heavy as that..." Oh yes it is. It WILL fall on your head - even with one strut still in place.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 14:34   #3
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Did this again last week (different car!), I tried to loosen the clips as suggested, but it was far easier just pulling them off completely. I also recommend doing them strut at a time for safety reasons.

This time I was more careful with my screwdriver and didn't scratch the paintwork Hands were COLD afterwards though.

This time I bought TUV approved aftermarket struts:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190781818412

They do seem more suitable for the car than the Magnetti Marelli ones that I bought last time (only £2 difference, both 50% cheaper than the gen Volvo price)

It lifts up easily to halfway and then a helpful flick sends it to the top. They are loosening slightly with use, I had to really slam the boot a couple of times at first, so I wonder if they'll soon start going all the way up in one fell swoop. 2 year guarantee on them.

Aesthetically, I prefer the aftermarket all-black ones that came off my car, but that's a matter of taste, and I don't exactly open the boot and think "oh no, not more chrome", but I did used to think "ooh, those black struts are nice", and as they're aftermarket, clearly they apparently didn't last very long!

p/n for comparison is 30803472

Last edited by baldmosher; Feb 27th, 2015 at 14:38.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 17:04   #4
v40alex
I do like a V40

I've got a set of genuine Volvo struts on mine and they have black piston rods. They came off a Phase 1, not sure if that has anything to do with it, part number is the same. Perhaps a case of changing the original supplier?
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 14:06   #5
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
I've got a set of genuine Volvo struts on mine and they have black piston rods. They came off a Phase 1, not sure if that has anything to do with it, part number is the same. Perhaps a case of changing the original supplier?
The all-black ones that came off the current car were definitely aftermarket, and I don't remember what came off the previous car but they were half-metal too. I don't know if I've ever seen a genuine pair of struts!

The TUV ones on there now are still a bit iffy. Sometimes the movement is smooth and precise, other times it pushes up too hard and bounces at the top of the hinge. I'm assuming it'll loosen up after a while....?

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 9th, 2015 at 14:08.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 20:51   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
Genuine struts on Phase1 & 2 are all black.

I've just ordered a pair of Meyle struts off ebay as my originals are getting weak to the point a strong wind will close the tailgate. Once fitted I will report back on the quality. Certainly their drop links are much, much better than Volvo.

Last edited by ITSv40; Mar 9th, 2015 at 20:57.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 20:53   #7
v40alex
I do like a V40

The genuine ones that came off my Phase 2 have 'chrome' rods
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 21:34   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Genuine struts on Phase1 & 2 are all black.

I've just ordered a pair of Meyle struts off ebay as my originals are getting weak to the point a strong wind will close the tailgate. Once fitted I will report back on the quality. Certainly their drop links are much, much better than Volvo.
Update: Struts arrived today, five mins to fit and work perfectly. The action is super smooth through the full range and just strong enough to hold the tailgate at the horizontal position. Below horizontal, closes under its own weight and above horizontal opens without any assistance. I'm a fussy devil and more than pleased with them and for the obsessives - as I am - the pistons are black as per originals. Cost £40 delivered.

I can now tackle the north Norfolk coast in a couple of weeks time without any fear of being knocked out by the tailgate.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 17:21   #9
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I couldn't find the Meyle struts that ITSV40 bought, although they sound great, so I've asked this guy if his £19 struts are black. Otherwise the Magnetti Marelli ones I bought last time are an extra fiver.

And I've not yet ruled out HD's ones from Partsmonster....

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 15th, 2015 at 18:13.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 17:19   #10
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Well I can thoroughly discredit those TUV struts I bought. They're rusting already and I think they're a bit too strong as the upward motion bounces hard at the top, although it has risen perfectly at least once. They're going back to the seller.

I am tempted to buy those £40 ones Happy Diver recommended above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150315_160238.jpg (149.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 15th, 2015 at 17:30.

Tags
boot, gas, hatch, strut, tailgate