Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide : how to change tailgate gas struts

Views : 7237

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2015, 22:28   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villar4sotrondio View Post
A word of caution with old tailgate struts.

Tailgate struts are gas filled and the gas experiences changes with outside temp. When they are old they might work fine in Summertime but in very cold weather as the gas contracts the struts may not hold that heavy tailgate open which can fall down unexpectedly.

This happened to me in my 1993 E Class Merc (aka Hildegard) as I was working on the rear of the car one very cold winter evening barely seconds after I took my arm off the tailgate opening.
I noticed the other morning, when I took the recycling bins down to the bottom of the drive. It was -2 and the tailgate slowly closed as the wind was blowing. At the weekend +14 it remained positively open although the struts feel very soft and need changing.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 20:34   #12
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Genuine struts on Phase1 & 2 are all black.

I've just ordered a pair of Meyle struts off ebay as my originals are getting weak to the point a strong wind will close the tailgate. Once fitted I will report back on the quality. Certainly their drop links are much, much better than Volvo.
Update: Struts arrived today, five mins to fit and work perfectly. The action is super smooth through the full range and just strong enough to hold the tailgate at the horizontal position. Below horizontal, closes under its own weight and above horizontal opens without any assistance. I'm a fussy devil and more than pleased with them and for the obsessives - as I am - the pistons are black as per originals. Cost £40 delivered.

I can now tackle the north Norfolk coast in a couple of weeks time without any fear of being knocked out by the tailgate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:49   #13
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

For almost twice the price of the TUV ones I bought I'd expect perfection

See how long mine last shall we....
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 16:19   #14
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Well I can thoroughly discredit those TUV struts I bought. They're rusting already and I think they're a bit too strong as the upward motion bounces hard at the top, although it has risen perfectly at least once. They're going back to the seller.

I am tempted to buy those £40 ones Happy Diver recommended above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150315_160238.jpg (149.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 15th, 2015 at 16:30.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 16:21   #15
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I couldn't find the Meyle struts that ITSV40 bought, although they sound great, so I've asked this guy if his £19 struts are black. Otherwise the Magnetti Marelli ones I bought last time are an extra fiver.

And I've not yet ruled out HD's ones from Partsmonster....

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 15th, 2015 at 17:13.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 21:37   #16
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
I couldn't find the Meyle struts that ITSV40 bought, although they sound great, so I've asked this guy if his £19 struts are black. Otherwise the Magnetti Marelli ones I bought last time are an extra fiver.

And I've not yet ruled out HD's ones from Partsmonster....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V40-...item231420b072
These are the ones I bought.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 20:43   #17
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Got an instant refund from the seller of those TUV struts, no quibbles, which was nice.

Quote:
I've asked this guy if his £19 struts are black. Otherwise the Magnetti Marelli ones I bought last time are an extra fiver.
The £19 are half-chrome, so I bought the same Magnetti Marelli ones that I got last time (actually from the same seller, the photo is black, so fingers crossed they are! Lost my original pics so can't remember from last time.) £23 delivered so can' t really justify spending almost double that, although ITSv40 and HD did make their sound very tempting
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 21:17   #18
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

I bought the Magneto Marelli ones for about £23 not too long ago.

The right hand one has a bit of wobble , basically I can hold it and twist it a bit.

Not sure what the fault is exactly with that but has no effect at all on operations and the boot snaps shut and opens like a brand new car which is great.

That's just my keen eye noticing every little thing wrong with my car.

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 13:11   #19
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I think they probably all do that? The clamp(?) that holds the lug(?) is built to rotate freely, although maybe I'm missing something in your description.

In any event, I've got a spare pair of struts that work fine, but are slightly prone to rusting, free of charge (plus postage) to anyone who wants them.....
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 13:45   #20
TylerDurdenK

Quote:
I think they probably all do that? The clamp(?) that holds the lug(?) is built to rotate freely, although maybe I'm missing something in your description.

In any event, I've got a spare pair of struts that work fine, but are slightly prone to rusting, free of charge (plus postage) to anyone who wants them.....
I'll take them if they're still available!?
TylerDurdenK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, gas, hatch, strut, tailgate