Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thirsty V60 Bi-Fuel 03 reg

Views : 1465

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2014, 14:18   #1
garyovey

Cool Thirsty V60 Bi-Fuel 03 reg

Hi, been around LPG a lot for years, so not afraid of it, like a lot of people. However, this is my first LPG car and I have to say that, whilst it is lovely to drive and has a stonking stereo, the running costs are disappointing.

I appreciate that it is a 2.4 with an auto box but on gas, I only get 22mpg. What is anyone else's experience of this car? Should I be getting more? is there any way I can improve mpg? Does Slick50 work?

My motoring is mainly cruising on dual carriageway, no excess weight, light right foot, gas serviced and running fine.
garyovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 19:59   #2
TomW

I had a V70 bi fuel auto and used to get 21 mpg. Now run same car but a manual and get 26/27. Both cars ran well on LPG
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 20:42   #3
reggit
Premier Member

My S60 auto bi-fuel would return 22-25ish depending on use, or 190-250 miles on a full tank of gas.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 22:11   #4
garyovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I had a V70 bi fuel auto and used to get 21 mpg. Now run same car but a manual and get 26/27. Both cars ran well on LPG
Ok, thanks guys, reassuring.
garyovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 10:56   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Mine will do up to 300 miles on a tank on a good run, normal use, around 250ish. Mine is manual.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 01:05   #6
Lpgc
LPG conversion pro

It is worth pointing out that most factory fitted systems (those on Vauxhalls and Fords etc) will cut back to petrol in an 'error mode' if the mixture when running on LPG in incorrect. BUT the Volvo factory systems don't do the same. They will continue to run on gas even if the mixture is incorrect. Of course, if the mixture is incorrect there can be many implications - a rich mixture can burn out the cat whilst delivering lower mpg, a lean mixture can burn out the valves whilst delivering lower mpg. Neither situation is good but there are many Bi-fuel Volvos around with LPG systems that are not working properly. I have seen many Volvos with damaged cats and engine valves due to problems with the factory fitted LPG system.

That said, your mpg figures, etc, seem maybe a little on the low side but not far off the mark when it comes to fuel economy. Would expect better mpg on a leisurely cruise, though.

If you would like your BiFuel system propely checked over, arrange to pay me a visit...

Simon
www.Lpgc.co.uk
Lpgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel consumption, gas, lpg