Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 161162

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2017, 11:03   #1061
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post

The £50 option for rear seat release levers from the rear boot was a good investment. Stand by the tailgate, pull levers and the seats automatically fold forward. Fab! £50 - worth it if only when one comes to sell her on for an extra item on the 'fully loaded' list!

Regards,

Arianne
I think this was a Renault innovation as I had it on my top of the range Laguna '08 as standard. That car also had a recess under the floor to stow the retractable boot cover. I miss both of these on the XC60.
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 11:15   #1062
andymcp
Premier Member

My Toyota Corolla Verso had an under-floor storage bin for the load cover. The best feature of an otherwise terrible car. In true Toyota fashion though, it just wouldn't die...

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 11:34   #1063
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Tootling along at around (+/-) the speed limit for a country road, a "private reg" F-Pace started aggressively tailgating me yesterday No idea of the engine type or trim level. I should have just slowed down and let him/ her overtake I suppose. Sorry, I didn't. I put the foot down in the bends and left them well behind .

V60 Polestar owner
A D4 FWD will also leave a 2 litre F-Pace RWD quite comfortably.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 12:50   #1064
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
A D4 FWD will also leave a 2 litre F-Pace RWD quite comfortably.
Not on the bends it won't. The 2.0d Ingenium 4cyl engine cars actually handle better than their V6 brothers because they're even more agile over the front axle (the engine block is lighter). And the F-Pace generally defies what you normally expect from the laws of physics and an SUV. It is sublime and you need to experience a fast drive along country roads to truly appreciate the difference between the XC60 R-design and the F-Pace (unless you have the now deleted 4C suspension which might get close). Only a Porsche Macan has better cornering performance and whether you consider the Macan to be an SUV or jacked-up hatchback is a matter of opinion.

As for straight line performance - the VEA D4 has the edge over the Jaguar F-Pace 2.0d. Now the EGR issue has been fixed by Volvo, that is a fine engine...... for a 4cyl unit. Of course Jaguar have just announced their uprated Ingenium engines with 237bhp twin turbo instead of the current 178bhp unit - the uprate also includes the price - a £4K price hike for access to that extra power!

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:55.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 13:14   #1065
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Not on the bends it won't. The 2.0d Ingenium 4cyl engine cars actually handle better than their V6 brothers because they're even more agile over the front axle (the engine block is lighter). And the F-Pace generally defies what you normally expect from the laws of physics and an SUV. It is sublime and you need to experience a fast drive along country roads to truly appreciate the difference between the XC60 R-design and the F-Pace (unless you have the now deleted 4C suspension which might get close). Only a Porsche Macan has better cornering performance and whether you consider the Macan to be an SUV or jacked-up hatchback is a matter of opinion.

As for straight line performance - the VEA D4 has the edge over the Jaguar F-Pace 2.0d. Now the EGR issue has been fixed by Volvo, that is a fine engine...... for a 4cyl unit. Of course Jaguar have just announced their uprated Ingenium engines with 237bhp twin turbo instead of the current 178bhp unit - the uprate also includes the price - a £4K price hike for access to that extra power!

Arianne
Good points. I do have 4C incidentally.
The forthcoming 237bhp Ingenium is perhaps the sweet spot in the engine range. The point about the lighter block weight was also made in the recent Autocar test of the new 2-litre Discovery where they were rather impressed at how it handled. Unless you need the significantly extra torque of the 3-litre (for towing, for example), this could be a very popular choice. The new XC60 (announced next Tuesday) will also feature the 2-litre D5 which, with 'powerpulse', should make for a very interesting head-to-head with the uprated 2-litre F-Pace.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 13:14   #1066
Arianne
Premier Member

Default How to secure a great GAP Insurance deal...

So my plan worked

I called ALA Insurance this morning. I expected a bit of a journey to convince them that they should match the cheaper Total Loss quotation but no, it couldn't have been simpler.

The guy that answered the phone took a few details, went onto the Total Loss website and obtained exactly the same premium quote as me (£343) and immediately confirmed that ALA would match that price and then also discount further by 20% of the difference. The result was a premium of £315 with ALA compared to their original quote of £479 or £427 if using a voucher code to get a discount.

So I have secured the best form of GAP insurance, with ALA, for 5yrs at £315. And I saved £164 or £112 or £28, whichever way you want to look at it, just by doing some research, chatting to other forum members and making a phone call.

Great. Hope this helps others if you're considering GAP Insurance.

Regards,

Arianne
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 18:19   #1067
Arianne
Premier Member

Hi Nigel,

I agree. However, it's worth mentioning that the peak power BHP output can be deceiving. The same can be said for torque. The brochure, charts and tables of numbers don't always tell the whole story unless you know what you're looking at on the chart....

.... the key is how wide the band is within which you can access that torque and BHP, and whether it comes on stream at lower RPM or only higher up (unusual for diesel).

AutoCar said, if I remember correctly, that the 4cyl unit was a good engine but a bit noisy when worked hard.

I agree it could be the sweet spot if balancing cost of purchase with performance. But a 4cyl diesel is, for the time being, a different beast from Volvo's 5cyl unit and Jaguar's V6. The engine is one of the most important choices when selecting a car so actually driving each variant is, in my painful experience, important.

Regards,

Arianne
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 19:05   #1068
Crockers
Premier Member

I'm approaching a si ilar dilemma. What to replace my XC60 with. Mrs C wants something bigger. I'm not so sure.
Looked at the Macan and rear legroom was pathetic. Looked at Cayenne and it was very nice bjust can't bring myself to buy into the Porsche mentality whereby everything is an extra. Also it's co ING to the end of its life.
Looked at Q7 and I suppose this is the new Cayenne. Not convinced. Looked at the FPace and sorry feel it's a pretty car but the rear window is Evoque esk and I didn't like the rear visabilty. Also rear legroom is marginal.
So it seems I've narrowed it down to the XC90 or the new Discovery. Currently in South Africa so will go test driving when I return.
Looks like I'll get hit by the new tax. Tempted to wait to see the XC60 later in the year, but fancy a change. You only live once unless you're a Buddhist.
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 19:52   #1069
Arianne
Premier Member

Hmm, understand your dilemma.

If you're happy with the 4cyl VEA diesel then I would be tempted by the XC90. The interior fit & finish is beautiful and, in the right colour and specification, they look very nice.

The new Disco looks good too and you would be able to access the V6 diesel, an option unavailable on the Volvo. But make sure you check the back end when a full size number plate has been mounted. The number plate positioning is weird and the showroom cars don't have them. So be careful and ensure you like the look.

Neither will handle like the Porsche or Jaguar. But they are both positioned in a slightly different niche within the SUV segment from the Macan and F-Pace. I would be tempted by the XC90, it's just the engine now I have had three years with the 4cyl unit...... and that XC90 is a heavier car too.

Enjoy your dilemma.

Arianne
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 00:45   #1070
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hmm, understand your dilemma.

If you're happy with the 4cyl VEA diesel then I would be tempted by the XC90. The interior fit & finish is beautiful and, in the right colour and specification, they look very nice.

The new Disco looks good too and you would be able to access the V6 diesel, an option unavailable on the Volvo. But make sure you check the back end when a full size number plate has been mounted. The number plate positioning is weird and the showroom cars don't have them. So be careful and ensure you like the look.

Neither will handle like the Porsche or Jaguar. But they are both positioned in a slightly different niche within the SUV segment from the Macan and F-Pace. I would be tempted by the XC90, it's just the engine now I have had three years with the 4cyl unit...... and that XC90 is a heavier car too.

Enjoy your dilemma.

Arianne
I'm not sure the weight is much different Arianne. At least not compared to my XC60 D5 AWD version.

Roy

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan