Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Disabled Section

Notices

Disabled Section Section for disabled users.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

End of Paper Tax Discs

Views : 5704

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2014, 01:55   #1
940Graeme
Premier Member

Default End of Paper Tax Discs

Now you may not think this affects the disabled group.......but, as other discussions in "General" have shown, the end of paper tax discs showing "Disabled" tax class may well have an effect on parking charges in several areas of the UK.

I know that in Eastbourne, for example, there are Council car parks where Blue Badge holders have to pay for parking, unless there is also a Disabled tax disc displayed. In discussion in other areas on this forum it has also transpired that Cornwall and other Local Authorities also operate this system.

Some months ago I asked Eastbourne Council what they will do about this system when you don't have to display a disc any more. Well it took them 5 months to reply, but yesterday they did..........!!

I am pleased to report that the Council's decision is that ALL Disabled spaces will now be free to ALL Blue Badge holders regardless of the taxation class of the car.

I like to think that I had a hand in this decision, (I don't know, but I wonder if my initial enquiry made the council think - "ohhh heck, haven't thought about this yet...") It does look to me like someone has thought, "we don't know how to deal with this, so we'll just scrap the old system".

Who knows, but a good result.

Have a think about the policy's of your local councils and if similar, but not decided yet, perhaps let them know what Eastbourne has decided to do.........

Best Regards All
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 02:48   #2
Powerforge

Ah, good old Eastbourne Council - who forgot to put the necessary parking legislation in place a few years back, resulting in ALL town parking spaces being free to EVERYONE lol

At least they took the sensible lead on this one

"Olaf" - 1999 V40 T4 in Pearl Black - Standard at the mo

==========================================
Powerforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 00:21   #3
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default disabled parking

Thanks Graeme for that interesting topic about the parking.

I have read all the information closely regarding the blue badge, and what the council said about charging parking even if you display a blue badge but don't have your taxation class changed.

The government states, that if you have a blue badge you get free use of parking meters and pay-and-display bays, as well as not having to pay for any toll roads, or congestion charges, as well as being able to park on single or double yellow lines, so if there are councils trying to charge you, complain to them, as what they are doing I am sure that it is illegal. If there are car parks run by other firms (non government or council) they may charge and unfortunately nothing can be done about it. I thought that this was the case, so I double checked before I wrote this, and if you google blue badge parking, and click onto one of the government sites, it will confirm this.

I am shocked about this, as I have never heard of this happen before especially through a council.

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuartvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 14:05   #4
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

Here in Telford you have to pay even if you have a blue badge. In Wales it is free for disabled.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 14:46   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

Some car parks in Oldham have 'No exemptions' for Blue Badge holders, though given how routinely they are abused it's not really a surprise!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 07:32   #6
vampwitch

Default Cornwall

I asked Cornwall County Council and was told at the time it was being looked into. Now I've seen a signin a car park stating I have to give them my vehicle details two weeks before the disc expires.

Perhaps I'm old fashion but I hate not havung that bit of paper in my windscreen.

West Devon charges as does North Devon. I can't blame some Councils as the scheme is abused. Especially in Supermarket car parks.
vampwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 23:31   #7
wisc

Having just taxed my first Volvo under the new legislation, now every time I walk back to the car (which I have to park on the public roads or carpark), I keep thinking it's an untaxed car and I will have the traffic wardens and police looking out for me.
When you have been something a certain way for 30+ years, it takes time to adjust.
wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 10:40   #8
MattCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampwitch View Post
I asked Cornwall County Council and was told at the time it was being looked into. Now I've seen a signin a car park stating I have to give them my vehicle details two weeks before the disc expires.

Perhaps I'm old fashion but I hate not havung that bit of paper in my windscreen.

West Devon charges as does North Devon. I can't blame some Councils as the scheme is abused. Especially in Supermarket car parks.
Are you aware that this is only valid until October this year, then all Blue Badge Holders including those entitled to free VED will have to pay full parking charges in all of the Counties car parks.

Edit:
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transpor...consultations/

Last edited by MattCrane; Sep 15th, 2015 at 10:43. Reason: Added Link
MattCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 00:49   #9
jsh1988

This is another area I've been looking into; Since they scrapped the Tax Disk and moved to somewhere on "the cloud" to be digital, but a group of people got upset saying their neighbors could "check what benefits" they were in receipt of by tapping their Vehicle Reg + make into the DVLA site to show the "disabled" class.

Something anyone could do just by walking by and looking in the windscreen, or before they set up that online functionality by it simply stating "£0" for the 12/6 month rates.

I don't care if people know I claim DLA/PIP, I'm a wheelchair user so can't really hide the fact i have trouble walking....

After the complaints to the DVLA they scrapped that system so now no-one at all can view the rates using the check if a vehicle is taxed system.

This is causing massive issue for councils/concession operators who offer discounts/free parking to those in the "disabled VED" class as the DVLA is making councils responsible for "checking" on a system that does not exist...

Personally I blame the minority who kicked up a storm about something that has been available for 30+ if not more years...
jsh1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsh1988 For This Useful Post: