Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Disabled Section

Notices

Disabled Section Section for disabled users.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The lack of subjects

Views : 22857

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2014, 15:19   #21
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

totally agree with that mike

ron.
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lyron For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 18:21   #22
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
We were discussing blue badges and the abuse thereof, not the disabled per se.
I know..!!...and I am simply making the point that others observing may believe a 'misuse is in progress' when they see someone who 'appears' to be healthy walking a short distance, when in fact doing so is extremely difficult and extremely painful for them or perhaps on that particular day their symptoms are in remission and or are reduced - similar to you I suppose, when you say your symptoms are reduced when you drive.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:35   #23
stuartvolvo
Trader

volvorocks,
I have to agree with your statement, as although I am 6ft 4, and I park in a disabled bay, and can clowley make my way into the shops at times, and look healthy from the out side, I have spondylolysis and severe rheumatoid arthritis. I am awaiting 2 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements. Although I was able to walk slowly with out a walking stick, and am now having to use one almost constantly away from the home, and even have to rely on my crutches at times. Disability can cover a very wide amount of illnesses, and some, can affect people where the illness is not seen, i.e. It may look like people are walking normally. What really rattles me though is people using disabled bays and not putting up a disabled badge, and just walk off. With theses people, there is probably not a thing wrong with them, and are too lazy to walk any distance, so want to park as close to the shops as possible.

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuartvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 18:31   #24
kevinfourlegs

I am registered disabled. I have osteoarthritis in my knees, hips, spine, shoulders and neck. My hands and now my feet suffer in the cold and damp. Also in my spine I have ankylosing spondylitis and prolapsed discs. To get around I use my double elbow crutches. I also have a scooter that comes apart which is easy to transport. My doctor said in March 2008 that my arthritis is chronic and progressive. I have had the crutches since October 2008.

I have a blue badge, a bus pass for myself and one for my scooter. I had an eighteen month fight for DLA. It took back up from my doctor, occupational therapist, social worker and my partner who is also my carer before I got awarded full mobility allowance.

I have always worked and paid my tax and stamp, but when I went to get help, I had to fight for it.

If there is one thing I hate, it is the misuse of disabled spaces, whether it be someone fraudulently using a blue badge or someone able bodied just parking in a disabled space as they are too idle to walk a short distance.

I used to run, cycle, spar, pump iron and swim, so you could say I was fit and healthy. I am now over weight as I have poor mobility. If I could lose a stone or three, I would be happy. I don't drink or smoke and my heart, cholesterol level and blood pressure are ok, so I guess that's something.

Am I disabled by choice? No. Do I need a disabled bay by choice? No. Do I want sympathy? No. Just a smidge of consideration will suffice.

I will finish here, as I don't want to prattle on and on.
kevinfourlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kevinfourlegs For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 21:48   #25
Mike 700
Premier Member

Hi Kevin,

Welcome from a Caerphilly boy, who's been to Aberdare many times.

We've had a few arguments on here about Blue Badge parking, and I'm with you, there are far too many normal people using & abusing Disabled only parking spaces , but what really gets to me is that ' most are fully aware of their abuse of the system' and secondly " They just don't care.

Know exactly what you mean about sport etc,?
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike 700 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 05:35   #26
940Graeme
Premier Member

Stuart, an apparent lack of topics does not equate to a lack of interest.

You really are doing a great job of promoting the issues that all of us Volvo owners affected by disabled issues face - both from getting this area on the forum set up, and from you excellent articles in Volvo Driver.

I'll admit, I applied for, and was selected for, the position of Disabled Register Keeper prior to you getting the job. I had to bow out as my disability, and those of my partner and mother got worse (I'm primary carer for all of us - bloomin "disabled central" here - we all live together, can you imagine!!) which meant that I felt I could not give sufficient time to the position.

I am so glad that you have taken on the role - and I congratulate you on your work so far - really very well done.

Keep it up matey - you are doing just fine.

With best regards,
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 22:50   #27
druid
V40 Owner

Stick at it, it's worth it for those of us who do need a bit of help. There will come a time when a badge will be required by my wife or by me - she has bad hips and i have MS. I have already spent time on a walking stick(accident) but did not pursue a badge as i can get by. Yes it's annoying to see the abuse, but we have to get by. If it goes badly for me i could become an invisible user to!

Links to DVLA and such would be useful - not adverts for stair lifts though, we have standards you know. lol!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....

Last edited by druid; Mar 30th, 2015 at 22:52. Reason: F.Y.I. It took half an hour to get that out, life huh!
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 12:53   #28
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default disabled

Thank you very much 940Graeme for your kind words. Recently, I have not managed to come on as often as I would like, and the Mrs is busy with work, and I am having to take our son Lee to nursery and pick him back up again, and that takes it out me just that alone.
I also forgot to mention that Heather passed her driving test last month, after holding her provisional for many years, I finally managed to coach her into doing something about it and with lessons and tuition from my self, she passed with only 2 minors, which means I am not driving the Zafira any more, and that the Volvo is now back on the road full time. I was out this morning at her, changing the fuel filter, as I never had time to do that when I serviced her last week. Now that's done, I just have the loose panels in the boot that are making a racket to sort, and I still have issue with the front o/s tyre rubbing on full right hand lock which I need to sort, and then that's me.

Just remember, everybody is welcome to help with the section, and if there is anything anybody would like to see, or add to the section just to contact me, and we can see what we can do.

Regards
Stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuartvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 17:58   #29
algy

With reference to the blue badge and the abuse that goes with it.
Why is a disabled persons photo on the back of the badge when on display
And not where it can be clearly seen this has always baffled me and I did raise
The issue with my council when I last got it updated but they say it is a national issue as all badges must be the same
algy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 06:48   #30
amit65

Default The lack of subjects

Hi..

Get rid of private cars in downtown areas. Thus will create accessible and safe downtowns.
amit65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amit65 For This Useful Post: