Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flat battery

Views : 692

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2021, 17:00   #1
Steveedge74
1998 v70 2.0 10v

Default Flat battery

Hi all ive a recently acquired 2.0 98 v70. The car has only done 100 miles since June 2018 so had obviously been sat for a while. Before putting it on the the road I gave it a good going over top to bottom before putting it on the road and the only bug is that the car is left standing Monday to Friday and the battery keeps dying. Battery has been replaced with a heavy duty option but still the same problem. Ive removed fuse 15 that controls the interior lights and all was fine except I had a noise from drivers door lock trying to continually operate while ignition was on. Another thing that must be connected is on locking car hazard lights don't flash but do when you unlock it. I wondered if car had been sat it could be something within the doorlock mechanism that could be seized and ideas really appreciated thanks.
Steveedge74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 18:57   #2
Martin Cox
VOC Member

If the hazard lights don't flash when locking the car presumably the red LED in the windscreen isn't flashing either. This usually means that, given all the doors, bonnet and tailgate are properly closed, one or more of the microswitches on the lock mechanism isn't being operated when the doors, bonnet or tailgate is shut.

As I understand it, these switches have a dual function. They tell the ECU that the door is closed and they also control the marker lights in the edge of the door.

The result of the switch not operating when the door is closed is that the marker light stays on and it's almost impossible to see that it is still on. This of course will drain the battery. I don't know if these lights are also fed from fuse 15 though.

If the switches are giving trouble there is a good guide on how to sort them out.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276166

I added a little self-adhesive aluminium tape to the surface that operates the microswitch and have had no further problems to date.

Hope this is of some help

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 227,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 19:29   #3
Steveedge74
1998 v70 2.0 10v

Thanks Martin you've confirmed my suspicion and with the noise from the drivers side I'm thinking thats the one to start with I'll have a look as soon as weather permits
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 21:31   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It's fairly easy to check whether a switch is operating without actually doing any dismantling. With the door open, the marker light should be on. Keep the door open and simply flick the door latch mechanism to the closed position. The light should go out. If it doesn't, that's a good place to start looking.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 15:35   #5
Steveedge74
1998 v70 2.0 10v

I've just had the catch out of the door,gave it a good clean and managed to glue some packing to the end of the actuator hoping that by making it move a little further it would take up the wear causing the microswitch work, no joy, I'm going to have it apart again next weekend and have another try in the meantime if anyone has or knows where I can get hold of a working replacement id be grateful
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 23:56   #6
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Steveedge

Which drivers side door is faulty - front or rear? Ah sorry you said "drivers door".

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 11:30   #7
Clogs
Clogs

Unless you normally get in the back, there is only one driver's door.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:41   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveedge74 View Post
Another thing that must be connected is on locking car hazard lights don't flash but do when you unlock it. I wondered if car had been sat it could be something within the doorlock mechanism that could be seized and ideas really appreciated thanks.
Try dropping the bonnet from around a 18inches or so to close it - the switch in the bonnet catch has a habit of jamming which means the indicators only flash when the car is unlocked - the jarring clears the jam - you can also try WD40 or similar in the catch mechanism and then repeatedly operating the bonnet catch with a scewdriver - if memory serves, the switch is in the right hand catch as you look at the car....but it makes sense to clean both!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: