Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 spacesaver tyre size?

Views : 9884

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2014, 22:16   #1
Schnorbitz

Default XC60 spacesaver tyre size?

Can anyone with a XC60 fitted with the Tempa spacesaver spare wheel confirm the tyre size for me?

I keep hearing 125/80 R17 but that can't be correct as the overall diameter is a lot smaller than the full size wheel. You'd wreck the Haldex in a few miles, surely?
Schnorbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 22:26   #2
Andyj007

had to drive our xc 60 with the space saver on for a few miles after a puncture.
never ever again. completely unsafe and dangerous.
have told the wife to never even attempt it.
i consider myself a good driver who dabbles in racing cars, and honestly, it was not pleAsant. the handling was atrocious.20 mph max
shame on you volvo..
will check the size tomorrow for you.
cheers
Andyj007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andyj007 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 22:30   #3
Brodick
Master Member

I will need to double check

I was sure it was 225/80 R17

I haven't needed to use it on this car but I did on my previous XC60 and had no issues with the Haldex system. right enough it was only on for 10 miles
I was able to travel at 30/40mph without too much of a problem
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 22:43   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

T 125/80 R 17 99M

Ever driven on a space saver? An experience to be savoured if you enjoy dicing with danger....!!!! Should carry a 10mph max speed warning!!! Or even better drive in hill descent mode which is slower!!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 22:47   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

I may be wrong although I believe the haldex takes into account different size tyres - not like on a Jeep where all wheels and treads have to be the same.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:23   #6
Crockers
Premier Member

When I was younger I shuttled cars for Hertz in USA. Great fun if a "donut" was fitted. Could leave long single lines on take off if fitted to driving wheels.

Rather have a temps than gue but surely the car should have been designed to carry a full size spare too if wanted.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:40   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
When I was younger I shuttled cars for Hertz in USA. Great fun if a "donut" was fitted. Could leave long single lines on take off if fitted to driving wheels.

Rather have a temps than gue but surely the car should have been designed to carry a full size spare too if wanted.
Not a hope in hell of meeting emissions regulations if they stick in a full size spare wheel, like driving around with a concrete block in the boot. That is also the reason they went to the gunk, to get rid of the weight of the space saver. They can get round the emissions of the weight from the space saver by testing the car with the gunk and saying that that is the design, you are adding the tyre therefore not part of tested design

I agree driving on them is interesting, but that will be why they limit the speed that you can drive on them and also the distance.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 09:21   #8
844PHW
Master Member

The lack of storage space for a fullsize spare wheel is the only thing I have against the xc60. I have a spacesaver spare which I used once, but I was rather nervous about it. Don't get me started, there is a whole thread about this somewhere.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 10:09   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

I had to drive my E class estate on a space saver. No problems up to the recommended 50 mph. Just set the cruise control and relaxed.

If your was a problem then it may be that the pressure in your spare was down. It is normally much higher than the standard pressure.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 21:23   #10
tompip

hi, what is the recommended pressure for the space saver tyre
tompip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haldex, spacesaver, spare wheel, tempa, xc60