Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Haldex rear drive service

Views : 7796

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2014, 15:54   #1
Richardkimber

Angry Haldex rear drive service

Had my XC70 for 18 months its done 127k mls and has full Volvo service history up to 100k. Following "Anti Skid Service required" message, the Differential Electronic Module is currently with ECUTtesting, hopefully to be repaired.

More worryingly looking deeper into posts on the Haldex unit in this and other forums, the volvo service schedule (lacking any reference to the Haldex unit) and finding this suggested Haldex servicing interval "http://www.sjbautotech.co.uk/hampshirehaldexservicing.html" , I am quickly coming to the conclusion that no maintenance has ever been done on my Haldex unit. If fact there is a high probability that I have been driving with front wheel drive only for the last 18 months and been none the wiser.

Original oil and filter at 120kmls for an oil immersed multi plate clutch, that can't be right. How may defective Haldex unit AWD cars are out there on front wheel drive only.

Any views on the volvo service schedule or experience with servicing Haldex units ?
Past 95: 940 2.3 LPT Manual Estate 178k mls:
Past 96: 850 AWD, 86: 340 (my 1st Volvo)
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 08:33   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Its not usually the haldex units that play up on 04m/y cars its usually the angle gear sleeve that transfers drive from gearbox to angle gear at front that is the major cause of issues
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2014, 21:56   #3
100K+
Premier Member

I have a 2004 V70 AWD R which to my knowledge when I bought it at 48K had never and any oils (save engine) changed. Last year at 70K ish I decided to change them after reading that although they are sealed for life, life is only some 60-80K
I went to my local Volvo dealer and got all all 4 oils and bought a vacuum pump from machine mart.
I then spent a half day changing the fluids in gearbox - has drain plug
Angle gear ; rear diff and Haldex (needed pump)
None of the oils were clean. I used the Dealer cos I don't intent to do the job again this side of 150K - assuming the car gets there and I still have it.

BTW my car had new angle gear and sleeves at about 55K

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 22:11   #4
Richardkimber

Default Oil changes, other than engine

Interesting finding Bob, i will defiantly get mine done when I get the DEM sorted.
Past 95: 940 2.3 LPT Manual Estate 178k mls:
Past 96: 850 AWD, 86: 340 (my 1st Volvo)
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 10:14   #5
Gazdok
Master Member

I have an AWD V70 and had some problems with the AoC and changed the whole unit myself. Volvo UK has so far not had any recommended service schedule for the Haldex, even though VAG have always recommended it. The Volvo AWD clutch is a slightly different design to VAGs design even though they use the same technology (Haldex). The VAG clutch is accessible much easier. The Volvo ones are more awkwardly designed!!!!
An oil change is not a problem. You just vacuum it out. BUT to do a filter change I have to take the shaft drive off. I guess this is why Volvo do not want a service.

But strange enough I was reading on a German Volvo AWD site yesterday and someone had attached the Volvo De service schedule. It is in German but the important bits are circled. Volvo De recommend regular services of the AWD system.
Considering that Volvo UK have e.g. dropped the V70 AWD altogether in the current range in the UK, the AWD might just be an ugly child for Volvo UK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wartungsplan-volvo_1.pdf (1.10 MB, 153 views)
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gazdok For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 00:39   #6
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
I have an AWD V70 and had some problems with the AoC and changed the whole unit myself. Volvo UK has so far not had any recommended service schedule for the Haldex, even though VAG have always recommended it. The Volvo AWD clutch is a slightly different design to VAGs design even though they use the same technology (Haldex). The VAG clutch is accessible much easier. The Volvo ones are more awkwardly designed!!!!
An oil change is not a problem. You just vacuum it out. BUT to do a filter change I have to take the shaft drive off. I guess this is why Volvo do not want a service.

But strange enough I was reading on a German Volvo AWD site yesterday and someone had attached the Volvo De service schedule. It is in German but the important bits are circled. Volvo De recommend regular services of the AWD system.
Considering that Volvo UK have e.g. dropped the V70 AWD altogether in the current range in the UK, the AWD might just be an ugly child for Volvo UK.
I recently bumped a thread on here showing how this is done, I've done all 3 others, just the aoc to go with its filter.

Mine is on 145k so maybe things have been changed before angle gear etc, but all are working fine and don't have the discussing oil anymore.

Interestingly I got around 800ml out of the angle gear, a little low but if it's only lost 100ml in 145k I'll let it off.
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 08:52   #7
Thrustyjust

Interesting on Wheeler dealers last night, with the Haldex Audi TT. Allegedly , Audi expect an oil change at 20k miles and an oil and filter at 40 k miles, according to Ed. Personally, I dont know the history of my car and will get it changed filter and oil next service. Looked fiddly but doable. Mate has the spanners !!
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 18:35   #8
scvolvo
Premier Member

I pick the parts up for the aoc tomorrow morning so will be done once the engine and exhaust cool down.
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 13:59   #9
scvolvo
Premier Member

Picked the parts up this morning, have to wait til Friday to be fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (236.4 KB, 114 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to scvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 15:23   #10
Thrustyjust

Wonder if Opie Oils will do similar oil at a cheaper price? How much was the oil and filter, if you dont mind me asking?
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haldex, haldex part numbers