Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Drive of rebuild.. Nervous !!

Views : 1220

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2020, 12:00   #11
winsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
Thanks, its a job I wan't to do over the winter as I have a spare engine kicking about and h beams can be had fairly cheap these days but they appear to get mixed reviews...

I seem to recall a thread years ago suggesting most of them came from the same factory in china so the more expensive one were just throwing money away but I am not convinced....
I deal with China alot and i see that lots of named brands try and keep their manufacturing sources out of the public eye for this reason.

For instance ..all these come from the same manufacture.. but customer perception is that if you pay more you get a better product.. there may be slight changes, but nothing more.. they want to make as much money as possible. The power of a Brand !!!!

Always pick you TV from the back.. .. same chassis.. maybe one or 2 more connections but thats it.

Acoustic Solutions
Akai
Alba
Anderson
Atec
Blaupunk
Bush
Celcus
Cello
Daewoo
Digihome
Digilogik
Dual
Durabrand
Electra
Emerson
Ferguson
Finlux
Goodmans
Graetz
Grundig
Hisense
Hitachi
Horizon
Isis
Jmb
Jvc
Kendo
lexsis
Linsar
Lodos
Logik
Luxor
Matsui
Medion
Mikomi
Mitsubishi
Murphy
Onn
Orion
Pacific
Panasonic
Pentis
Proton
Phillips
Polaroid
Proline
Qiivive
Regal
Sanyo
Seg
Seiki
Selectline
Servis
Sharp
Strong
Teac
Technika
Technonsinic
Techwood
Teco
Telefuncen
Teletech
Telsa
Tevion
Thomson
Tiny
Toshiba
Universum
Vestel
Vestfrost
Videoton
Voxson
Walker
Waltham
Watson
Westwood
Wharfdale
Xenius

Volvo 850R Estate 1996 Manual Conversion
SLK AMG 350 R172
winsox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winsox For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 15:42   #12
PNuT
MaDMaN

I am a big fan of the Chinese especially with technology and have not bought a main brand mobile since I bought my oneplus one which was a few years ago!

I was a bit put of the Chinese rods via youtube when I saw how far out the tolerances were out from one rod to another but in fairness I am no engine builder and am not sure how much the tolerances would effect an engine that will probably cover 2-3k miles a year!!

I guess it is the good bit about having a couple of engines if it goes wrong just change it
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 15:27   #13
winsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
I am a big fan of the Chinese especially with technology and have not bought a main brand mobile since I bought my oneplus one which was a few years ago!

I was a bit put of the Chinese rods via youtube when I saw how far out the tolerances were out from one rod to another but in fairness I am no engine builder and am not sure how much the tolerances would effect an engine that will probably cover 2-3k miles a year!!

I guess it is the good bit about having a couple of engines if it goes wrong just change it
You can use plastic Gauge to check the clearance on the bearings which will give you a good guide ;-)

I think there will always be a little difference between them from production so you will always need to check it.

SLK AMG 350 R172
The Following User Says Thank You to winsox For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 04:30   #14
PNuT
MaDMaN

Cheap Chinese rods it is then
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 13:50   #15
winsox

well 500 miles on new build with standard map and 2 changes of oil..

Its going great and bloody quick !

When weather get better its off to Tim Williams for its COP conversion and remap :-)

Im so glad I cut no corners... its like a new car !

SLK AMG 350 R172
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winsox For This Useful Post: