Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone else getting their Winter tyres ready?

Views : 34472

Replies : 429

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 20:36   #421
Volvon
Master Member

Yip store them on their sides because over the 6+ months or so they are sitting there they lose pressure and if they are upright they will square off (doubtful its permanent damage but an inconvenience all the same). I keep all my wheels in a dark corner in the basement, every couple months I will check the tyre pressures and top them back up to 40 psi, as if you leave them too long and the pressure drops really low the seal can break where the tyre meets rim and you'll be losing air there and probably need it resealed.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 21:11   #422
tt82
Forum Support Team

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lear...-storage-story

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 22:41   #423
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Just bought some rims for the BMW today; £85 for 4 that are the same as what are fitted at the moment... just got to get a friend who lives near them to pick them up!

Then got to go to see a friend up in Scotland who works for a tyre company and getting the tyres from them.

Getting a set of Marix EcoTrac. I know they're not any of the big names, but when you're buying from someone that you know rather than a big tyre company I think they're worth a try... also a lot less than any of the other ones that are available! Having had a look at them they seem to have a decent pattern.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 22:45   #424
jaygee
Avid Member

So as the picture shows stack them on there sides?

How long is short term/long term? Not everyone has a tyre rack.

I'm still gonna say stacking them on their side is the most convenient easiest way that will not damage the tyres.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 22:54   #425
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

My plan is to get a 50-75mm diameter pole to put through the centre cap on the wheel, and hang the wheels in the GF's Dad's shed... I'm sure there's room in there amongst the fire wood!!!
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler Ed For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 23:10   #426
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Come changeover time, the wheels going into store are cleaned and the rims waxed but not buffed off. They're then stored on their sides in two stacks of two at the back of the garage lying on old carpet tiles. Winter wheels/tyres going on last weekend had lost 2psi since being stored just after Easter.

Don't get too hung up about this. Store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and they'll be fine.

Three things that kill rubber in the long term - heat, ultra violet and ozone.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 08:58   #427
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
So as the picture shows stack them on there sides?

How long is short term/long term? Not everyone has a tyre rack.

I'm still gonna say stacking them on their side is the most convenient easiest way that will not damage the tyres.
Try reading it rather than looking at the pictures.

Quote:
Do not stack tyres in piles over long periods.
Quote:
Tyres may be stacked on top of each other in piles no higher than 1.2 metres (4ft), preferably on pallets. Reverse the order of the tyres every four weeks.
Stacking tyres that aren't fitted on wheels will see the bottom tyre deform as the weight of the other tyres crush it. Rotating them every 4 weeks will lessen this but the end result being that all tyres are deformed to an extent.

Try this one - http://www.conti-online.com/generato...summer_en.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
As long as they pumped up (wheels with tyres) you can stack, hang or lay on their sides. If it is just the tyres then on their sides stacked on top of each other is the best.
Funny how you seem to know better than Continental.

Last edited by tt82; Nov 9th, 2012 at 09:01.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 11:09   #428
jaygee
Avid Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Try reading it rather than looking at the pictures.

Stacking tyres that aren't fitted on wheels will see the bottom tyre deform as the weight of the other tyres crush it. Rotating them every 4 weeks will lessen this but the end result being that all tyres are deformed to an extent.

Try this one - http://www.conti-online.com/generato...summer_en.html

Funny how you seem to know better than Continental.
I never said I knew better - "I'm still gonna say stacking them on their side is the most convenient easiest way that will not damage the tyres."

Just going by personal experience and it seems that others on the forum seem to think the same way works? Of course a majority view is not always right but I've never had any problem over the 14 years of doing it?

I keep them in my garage stacked 2 on top of one another, wheels/tyres or just tyres. Every time they come out and are put on all they need is a little pump up and they are ready to go. Have never seen any signs of degradation or deformity.

I am no font of knowledge but am just giving my opinion of works for me.

If you wish to add your advice that's fine but don't shun mine in absolution of yours is the only way to do it.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM

Last edited by jaygee; Nov 9th, 2012 at 11:10. Reason: typo
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 21:44   #429
tt82
Forum Support Team

I'm no font of knowledge myself. I knew what I'd heard and did a quick google search to try and find other sources to back up my arguement. Those sites are the first results if you google "storing tyres".

I understand what your saying but theres a huge difference between stating something as "being the best way" and "I do this".

Old Nov 14th, 2012, 21:16   #430
Volvo6
Master Member

I have to admit I've always just stored my wheels stacked on top of each other (I use separate alloys for winters) ...never seemed to do them any harm.

Just ordered some new winter tyres. Last two winters used Continental WinterContacts TS830s which were great but this time I thought I'd give the Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 a go. It better snow soon!...off to Inverness next week so might see some.