Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts 164

Views : 2289

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 17:58   #1
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Default Parts 164

Good afternoon,

I have just purchased a 1972 164 and need a new radiator . Would you be able to advise where I would be able to get one please.

I also need a pair of wing mirrors and the door rubbers that go in between the door trim and the glass.

Has anyone got these items for sale?

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEB002B8-D43A-4B3C-ACB7-4C9E2C6CF408.jpg (55.7 KB, 55 views)
classic volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 23:25   #2
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Local

New rads are available but pricey. It should be possible to get your existing one reconditioned locally. Serck (?) services is one firm who do it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 07:56   #3
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
New rads are available but pricey. It should be possible to get your existing one reconditioned locally. Serck (?) services is one firm who do it.
Thank you for your message. Where would I get a new one from ?
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 20:48   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

Nice-looking car, I congratulate you on your purchase. I use Brookhouse Volvo for spares for my 164 and Amazon, and they provided a new radiator for our Ammo for less than a local place would charge for re-coring ours, and that would have meant cannibalising the top and bottom bits from ours to sort of cobble together something.... and they wanted 2 weeks whereas Brookhouse sent a new one the next day.
Not tried for a 164 one though: be sure to specify if your car is manual or auto, as the rads differ. I have enough 2nd hand ones to worry about new (yet!).

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 21:39   #5
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Thanks, I do love the look of the 164 wanted one for years. I’ve tried Brookhouse unfortunately they don’t do the 164 radiator.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:51   #6
guitarman

Lovely looking car that...
Re-coring a rad is a common enough job; the top and bottom tanks are invariably kept as they'd be a custom fabrication. If there are any holes they can be filled with solder or brazed. The core in the middle tends to get silted up as it's made of fine copper pipes and the fins corrode and loose some of their ability to dissipate heat. A re-core costs me about £125 at Cheltenham radiators whom I've used a number of times.
I take it the rad is leaking somewhere then? One thing I would strongly advise against is using a stop leak prep like 'Barrs' as this coats not just the rad but the whole of the engine cooling system with a layer of crud.
I'd also add that my 164 has never got anywhere near overheating...Some 70s cars did indeed have adequate cooling systems...so the standard 2 core rad is perfectly up to scratch.
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB

Last edited by guitarman; Jun 4th, 2018 at 01:53.
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 00:30   #7
AndrewBrown

Default New radiator 164

You can buy a new one here

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ssion/1001912/

The differences are the oil cooler fitted in the radiator for automatic models
You can fit the auto one to a manual car and just plug the oil inlet and return holes,
Or you can use the cooler part of the rad as an engine oil cooler as in an oil to water heat exchange cooler as apposed to oil to air like add on coolers. Almost all modern cars now use an oil to water heat exchange cooler
Regards

Andy

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 13th, 2018 at 00:41.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 17:30   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Use of the auto cooler for oil not advised. You'd need an adaptor to go behind the filter and the rad isn't designed to take engine oil pressure.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 19:54   #9
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Default 164

Thanks for all your messages much appreciated. Update as follows .

Took the radiator out and flushed it through and put back into the car seems to be a bit better but still getting hot. Now my brakes have failed so can’t get out to run the car. Think it’s the brake master cylinder. Got one fro brook house. Gonna fit it ASAP. Hopefully this sorts the brakes.

Auto box seems to be making a knocking noise when ticking over ? Any Ideas? Us 164 owners need to stick together

Many thanks

Steve
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 22:14   #10
AndrewBrown

Default Not so Volvo data says otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Use of the auto cooler for oil not advised. You'd need an adaptor to go behind the filter and the rad isn't designed to take engine oil pressure.
I agree not advised officially but....

you would need an oil take off adaptor behind the filter.

As for the radiator is not capable of withstanding engine oil pressure is pure fantasy.

The engine oil pressure in a B30 engine varies between 37 and 85 PSI, that's genuine Volvo figures from factory literature.

The Borg Warner BW 35 transmission fitted to the 164 has the oil feed to the cooler in the radiator taken from the line pressure and this pressure varies between 55 and 160psi, that said there is a cooler bypass valve which limits the oil pressure to the cooler so its not subject to the 160 psi.

55 psi at idle speed

160psi at kickdown before the line pressure cut back

75 psi at kickdown after the line pressure cutback

the burst pressure for the pipe used in the radiator is way above 85psi (standard 8mm copper pipe burst pressure is around 3045 psi and 2030 psi for 10mm pipe)

Also the temperatures involved in the transmission fluid are much higher than the engine oil

So the cooler is more than capable than handling the engine oil circuit because the pressure is a lot less and at lower temperatures.

I have also used the in radiator oil cooler to cool the engine oil in the past with no problems ever occurring.

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 17th, 2018 at 22:36. Reason: spelling errors
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote